Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
800 megabytes for a delta? SiriOSly?
It's not a delta on the 4S.

As a glass is half-full kinda person I am happy to see they can do a complete firmware install OTA. While I may have missed it, I have never seen this before, even during the iOS 5 beta before and up to GM release.

Michael

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
I welcome this with open arms but Im not sure if ill be doing this round of tests. Mainly because 1) Theres no need for app testing ( I assume) 2) Im pretty stable on IOS5.0 right now

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
It certainly seems to be running a little smoother on my iPhone 4. Beta 1 tended to make my device stutter a little.

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
It's not a delta on the 4S.

As a glass is half-full kinda person I am happy to see they can do a complete firmware install OTA. While I may have missed it, I have never seen this before, even during the iOS 5 beta before and up to GM release.

Michael

I think its very inviting to see a full Firmware update OTA, this brings in the fact that even if your connector is messed up (assuming you can charge and not sync) you can still upgrade.

Apple will want to give IOS 6 OTA, there is no doubt in my mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 5.2.1 (around there) to make it support the full -NEW- IOS

----------

It certainly seems to be running a little smoother on my iPhone 4. Beta 1 tended to make my device stutter a little.

Good to hear. There really should be no lack in performance in these betas but be sure to report it if you find anything.:apple:

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
I'm wondering if it is falsely reporting 800mb as it downloaded in around 10mins for me and although my Broadband is capable of that I have never had that quick a connection to Apple's servers. It took me over an hour to download Beta 1.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Can anyone with an iPhone 4S who is running Beta 2 confirm if the battery life is better?

I get horrible battery life, like 69% at 2 and a half hours of very standard usage. Twitter, couple calls, sms, etc. This is ridiculous.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
It never occurred to you that a dual core CPU and the new OS might be a bit more battery hungry, and is more likely to be causing the difference? My phone still ends the day at ~55% with average usage. Yesterday I had 6 hours usage, 18 hours standby before I got to 20%. That seems fairly reasonable.

The dual core should be using the battery more efficiently actually. Just because it's a dual core doesn't mean that it should be constantly sucking out battery.

countzero2k10

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Alabama
Haven't had too much of a problem with the battery on my 4S. It's not quite as good as it was on my 4 but that's to be expected.

Now if Apple can work on fixing the problem with their bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 implementation so I can get artist and track information on my car's screen like it was supposed to, that would be awesome...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Any fixes to the iPad music app? One of the buggiest parts of iOS by far (at least on iPad).

Duardo

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
Any fixes to the iPad music app? One of the buggiest parts of iOS by far (at least on iPad).

I've found the iPhone Music app to be rather buggy too. Every time I skip a song on my home screen it acts all screwy for a second then updates the album picture.

nicholc2

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Haven't had too much of a problem with the battery on my 4S. It's not quite as good as it was on my 4 but that's to be expected.

Now if Apple can work on fixing the problem with their bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 implementation so I can get artist and track information on my car's screen like it was supposed to, that would be awesome...

I second that! I even opened a case with them and provided diagnostics and they came back with my 2011 Odyssey doesn't support it which I know it does.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Can anyone with an iPhone 4S who is running Beta 2 confirm if the battery life is better?

I get horrible battery life, like 69% at 2 and a half hours of very standard usage. Twitter, couple calls, sms, etc. This is ridiculous.

Uhh, this update came out what... 30 minutes ago?

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008

Battery life is better with beta 1, say 15% at most. I don't see how this would kill it from two days ago.

Fesan

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2010
Quick update:

I've had v2 of the beta installed for about 10-15 minutes and in that time I've gone over some settings and looked at a few photos, updated the twitter app and spent a few mins in the gmail app.

That cost me 3% battery life. You be the judge of whether that is acceptable or not.

My phone is set up this way:

Bluetooth off
Notifications: Weather, phone, messages, reminders, mail, calendar.
Locations: iAds, time zone and traffic turned OFF, rest on.
iCloud: All on except mail, manual on mail and rest on push
Brightness: littlebit lower than standard and autoadjust on
Diagnostiscs: Don't send

During that time I received no updates by push, no notifications went off and all data traffic over wifi.

Now I'd like to add that I've only had two full charges on this phone so the battery calibration is prob. somewhat off. I'd also like to add that I had horrible batt. life out of the box and never seen better than 18hrs standby with 2hrs use so patch might help others even if it does not help me.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I hope they fix the issue were Safari and the App Store constantly crashing for some reason after iOS 5 update, anyone else had that problem?

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Does this release have some effect on 4S display settings? Yellowish screen problems/white point settings?

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Quick update:

I've had v2 of the beta installed for about 10-15 minutes and in that time I've gone over some settings and looked at a few photos, updated the twitter app and spent a few mins in the gmail app.

That cost me 3% battery life. You be the judge of whether that is acceptable or not.

My phone is set up this way:

Bluetooth off
Notifications: Weather, phone, messages, reminders, mail, calendar.
Locations: iAds, time zone and traffic turned OFF, rest on.
iCloud: All on except mail, manual on mail and rest on push
Brightness: littlebit lower than standard and autoadjust on
Diagnostiscs: Don't send

During that time I received no updates by push, no notifications went off and all data traffic over wifi.

Now I'd like to add that I've only had two full charges on this phone so the battery calibration is prob. somewhat off. I'd also like to add that I had horrible batt. life out of the box and never seen better than 18hrs standby with 2hrs use so patch might help others even if it does not help me.

Every time you install an update you need to recalibrate the battery. I did that with beta 1 because it stayed at 1% for about an hour while I was watching Hulu over 3G, the next day I got 6.5 hours of use and 11 hours of standby.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.