Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:09 PM   #26
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
Yes lets give our rich executives bonuses butmgot forbid we pay a dividend to our shareholders
You aren't required to own AAPL, you know?
Matthew Yohe is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:10 PM   #27
1080p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1 View Post
no one deserves that kind of money.....
Uh.... you sound like one of those stupid "Occupy _____" protesters. Basically mad that rich people are rich and you are not. This is America. Anyone can work hard... either by getting highly educated, starting successful business or inventing a unique product that the world cannot live without.

The people in the top seats at Apple were not handed their jobs for the hell of it. They are there because they are the best at what they do. The proof is in Apple's success. Sure they earn their yearly salaries for their work. But they can quit at any time and take their talent elsewhere... something that Apple does not want. So these stock options are given to encourage them to stick with the company.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:13 PM   #28
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Well, my paltry % of ownership is now even less.
Boatboy24 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:14 PM   #29
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1 View Post
no one deserves that kind of money.....
Really? Then why aren't most other companies as profitable, and thus increasing the value of millions of people's retirement investments by as much?
firewood is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:15 PM   #30
jouster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryJello View Post
Ive not getting a bonus? The first whisper of his departure from the company I've seen.
Then you've not being paying attention. It is widely known that he recently contemplated leaving so that his kids could be educated in the UK.
jouster is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:16 PM   #31
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRiceInCal View Post
After reading Jobs' biography, I don't think he would've allowed this if he were still around.
I believe the point is they wouldn't have felt like they would have had to if Jobs was still around. These are rentention bonuses. People have to stay to get them.

arn
arn is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:16 PM   #32
doctor-don
macrumors 6502a

That's a spitload of money! $400M per 7 employees averages $57M EACH.
doctor-don is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:17 PM   #33
timothy632
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Uh.... you sound like one of those stupid "Occupy _____" protesters. Basically mad that rich people are rich and you are not. This is America. Anyone can work hard... either by getting highly educated, starting successful business or inventing a unique product that the world cannot live without.

The people in the top seats at Apple were not handed their jobs for the hell of it. They are there because they are the best at what they do. The proof is in Apple's success. Sure they earn their yearly salaries for their work. But they can quit at any time and take their talent elsewhere... something that Apple does not want. So these stock options are given to encourage them to stick with the company.
Well said. You are exactly right.
timothy632 is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:17 PM   #34
eye
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

People who think that anyone can work hard and get rich are just as ridiculous as people who think only luck brings success. Don't be an extremist.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:17 PM   #35
LS1
macrumors member

Quote:

lol, calm down. America is great..... survival of the fittest....
LS1 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:18 PM   #36
jouster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
I believe the point is they wouldn't have felt like they would have had to if Jobs was still around. These are rentention bonuses. People have to stay to get them.

arn
I find it hard to believ that Jobs wasn't well aware that these bonuses were in the pipeline. I doubt they just occurred to Cook in the last few days.
jouster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:20 PM   #37
SatyMahajan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexs45 View Post
Why didn't Ive get a stock reward? Very concerning to me as an AAPL owner and a huge fan.

Does this mean he could be on his way out?
Either that or he's negotiating (rightfully) for more shares. I'd say they should give him at least 500k if not the same number as Tim Cook.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:20 PM   #38
igazza
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Why nothing for Ives?
Might have something to do with the iPhone 5 we never seen.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:25 PM   #39
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post
I find it hard to believ that Jobs wasn't well aware that these bonuses were in the pipeline. I doubt they just occurred to Cook in the last few days.
Why not? Cook got a retention bonus too to stay for the next 10 years. These are very much things that would have happened after Jobs died. Now, did Jobs plan these bonusesfor his death? Maybe. But I'd suggest that these bonuses wouldn't have been given out this year if Jobs was still alive. They are in place to keep Apple stable and their leadership from leaving after such a major transition.

arn
arn is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:25 PM   #40
vartanarsen
macrumors 6502

Son of a bitch
vartanarsen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:27 PM   #41
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexs45 View Post
Why didn't Ive get a stock reward? Very concerning to me as an AAPL owner and a huge fan.

Does this mean he could be on his way out?
Probably. He wanted to get back to UK.
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:28 PM   #42
Trauma1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
Yes lets give our rich executives bonuses butmgot forbid we pay a dividend to our shareholders
Tech companies don't pay dividends. This is almost a golden rule.

Buying tech stocks expecting dividends is not a good investment strategy. Some companies have, on occasion, paid out but that's a minority. The few cents per share or so is a nice little surprise but don't hold your breath waiting for one.

Other big movers like GOOG, YHOO, and AMZN publicly say that they won't pay out dividends and will retain all their earnings in the future.
Trauma1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:28 PM   #43
johnbrks
macrumors newbie

Go Women!

It's great to see a progressive company like apple with female executives being rewarded like this. Way to go!
johnbrks is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:29 PM   #44
Stovepiper
macrumors member

Quote:
No offense necessarily, but when I read this I pictured you listening to Rush with head phones on while reading Ayn Rand and polishing your shiny bootstraps. Probably waaaayyy off... or am I?
Stovepiper is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:30 PM   #45
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
Probably. He wanted to get back to UK.
I believe that rumor was debunked.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:31 PM   #46
vartanarsen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrks View Post
It's great to see a progressive company like apple with female executives being rewarded like this. Way to go!
Apple is an equal opportunity employer, If there are no women up there in the high seats, there is a logical reason for it.
vartanarsen is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:32 PM   #47
ad2435
macrumors member

I don't even want one share stock option to be honest.

I want to pay $10 for the $40 iPad cover that costs $1.
ad2435 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:32 PM   #48
spazyFO
macrumors newbie

l

Last edited by spazyFO; Nov 6, 2011 at 06:50 AM.
spazyFO is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:35 PM   #49
StuddedLeather
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
I believe that rumor was debunked.
Hopefully. We can not let people like him go. Sure there are others out there that are great, but he's responsible for a lot of the best designs for Apple.

Hope they are working things out. We can't have 2 tragedies within a year.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:35 PM   #50
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I'm an AAPL shareholder, where's my bonus for staying with them when their financials were a "miss"? Oh wait, that's right... the miss was because of some boneheaded analysts.
iMikeT is offline   -8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion