Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laptoplover2

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
USA
I'm 13 right now, and I love apple and everything, my MacBook and iPods and what not. In my future I wanna do at least SOMETHING involving Mac or iOS developing. And iTunesU has all the videos from Stanford University that would teach me how to do it, and it would be exactly would I would need to learn App Developing now, and if I learned now that would be great.

But the thing is, if I already know Objective-C, then wouldn't it ruin college because I wouldn't have anything new to learn? :confused: Should I do it or not?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
There is a ton more to Computer Science (or Computer Engineering) than knowing one programming language.

Your question is sort of like someone asking if they would be bored studying biology in college because they already know how to use a microscope.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
@ laptoplover2, Do you think that Dumbo the Elephant could fly across the Atlantic ocean if elephants could fly by flapping their ears?

There are a lot of ifs in your post laptoplover2.

Do it if you want to do it, and are able to do it. Let the chips fall where they may.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
College will be difficult. Learn now, and at least understand some stuff when you get there. It'll help. You could always try and write an app, too, and sell it.

Neotyguy40

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
Learning a computer language becomes extremely easy after you learn one or two well. An intro to programming class will teach you a language in just a few weeks. Everything else is based on more complex things such as different algorithms, data structures, paradigms, etc.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
There is much more to being a successful application programmer than learning a language. That's actually the easiest part...

Learn early, often, and for a lifetime.

I've been in this business for 30 years and I'm still learning every day...

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
But the thing is, if I already know Objective-C, then wouldn't it ruin college because I wouldn't have anything new to learn? :confused: Should I do it or not?

If you think Objective-C is the only thing you'll be taught in college, you should probably investigate your college programs further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.