Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
EDIT (3/05/2012): Well based on this post it turns out I'm wrong :eek:

---------------------
This appears to be a common misconception.

iPhone iterations prior to the iPhone 4 used Corning Gorilla Glass, as evidenced on page 471 of the Steve Jobs biography.

With the iPhone 4, Apple began using Lens Technology International to manufacture their aluminosilicate glass. This was the supplier responsible for the white iPhone 4 delay.

Furthermore, Corning's Gorilla Glass website does not list the iPhone as a product.

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Furthermore, Corning's Gorilla Glass website does not list the iPhone as a product.

From the link: "Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass."

I'm not saying if they do or don't, but it's silly to use a website that clearly states that they don't list all products as proof that they don't.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
From the link: "Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass."

I'm not saying if they do or don't, but it's silly to use a website that clearly states that they don't list all products as proof that they don't.
I agree that by itself, it wouldn't serve as proof. That's why I included the additional link regarding Lens Technology International.

P Mentior

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Ohio
I just looked in to that link for 'Lens Technology International' and it looks like they just do coatings for plastic/glass/metal. Nothing there says that they weren't used to put a coating on Corning Gorilla Glass. I'm thinking that they were used either for the color coat under the glass or possibly for the oleophobic coating on top.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I just looked in to that link for 'Lens Technology International' and it looks like they just do coatings for plastic/glass/metal.
From the Engadget article:
According to Chinese newspaper 21st Century Business Herald, the problem stems from a little-known Chinese factory by the name of Lens Technology, which is apparently responsible for transforming fine raw glass into the majority of iPhone glass panels out there (and contrary to previous reports, there's no mention of Corning here).
and:
According to a project feasibility report published by Lens in 2006, its glass manufacturing process involves the following steps: developing the tooling, cutting the raw material (mainly sourced from Germany, Switzerland and Japan), fine-milling using CNC (computed numerically controlled) machines, sanding the edges, polishing, strengthening, cleaning, coating, screen printing, baking, anti-shatter treatment, assembling, and packaging.

asen89

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
UK
I read somewhere its the same tempered glass type used in military helicopters to withstand abuse.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I read somewhere its the same tempered glass type used in military helicopters to withstand abuse.
Correct; that's from Apple's iPhone 4 design page:
All the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass — the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains. Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever. It’s also recyclable.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago

I hope this isn't the case because these military helicopters aren't scratch resistant at all then. The iPhone has very poor scratch resistant when you compare it to Android phones with gorilla glass.

Everyone that says their screen is in perfection condition but doesn't use a screen protector is lying. You'll see hairless scratches when you reflect the screen off light.

asen89

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
UK
Actually I do not use a screen protector and carry it around in my back pack, 4 months, still no scratches *knocks wood*

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I don't know what they use but I want it on everything. I've had the iPhone 4 since get-go, without a case, in bags with keys, sharp objects, heavy pointed poking things, and it's scratch free.

Corning? ;)

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I hope this isn't the case because these military helicopters aren't scratch resistant at all then. The iPhone has very poor scratch resistant when you compare it to Android phones with gorilla glass.

Everyone that says their screen is in perfection condition but doesn't use a screen protector is lying. You'll see hairless scratches when you reflect the screen off light.

Those 'hairless' scratches (you mean 'hairline') are actually in the oleophobic coating, not the glass. It's easy to scratch the coating, but these only show up in reflections. The glass beneath is a lot harder to damage.

P Mentior

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Ohio
From the Engadget article:

Quote:
According to Chinese newspaper 21st Century Business Herald, the problem stems from a little-known Chinese factory by the name of Lens Technology, which is apparently responsible for transforming fine raw glass into the majority of iPhone glass panels out there (and contrary to previous reports, there's no mention of Corning here).

I was just going by what I found at the link you posted. There is no mention of glass making only coatings for plastics, glass, and metal.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
I'm amazed that people still claim iPhone uses Gorilla Glass. If you'd ever seen any of the countless videos on the subject you'd know Gorilla glass does not shatter. The iPhone screen does. Simple as that.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I'm amazed that people still claim iPhone uses Gorilla Glass. If you'd ever seen any of the countless videos on the subject you'd know Gorilla glass does not shatter. The iPhone screen does. Simple as that.
Exactly. I thought it was common knowledge as well but I keep seeing posts here referring to iPhone Gorilla Glass...hence this thread

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

Yup, Gorilla Glass doesn't shatter....except that it does: (Dell Streak)

I have no idea whether the 4 and 4S have Gorilla Glass or not, but the original iPhone, and very likely the 3G and 3Gs, most certainly did. (Steve Jobs bio, where Jobs specifically said Corning Gorilla Glass was used in the original iPhone).

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California

While the iPhone does not use gorilla glass, it is stupid to say that gorilla glass does not shatter.

my BRAND NEW HTC Vivid with corning gorilla glass shattered today...
Now I have to go beg to AT&T ;)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
SquareTrade reported that iPhone 4 glass (non-Gorilla) broke 82 percent more than iPhone 3GS glass (Gorilla), so my guess would be that they switched to Lens because it was cheaper.

Interesting, do you know if they normalized the data (i.e. 82% more reports for the same number of owners), or if it's skewed by a higher number of iphone4's with SquareTrade warranties vs 3GS?

The linked article doesn't say which way they based the 82% figure.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Interesting, do you know if they normalized the data (i.e. 82% more reports for the same number of owners), or if it's skewed by a higher number of iphone4's with SquareTrade warranties vs 3GS?
They compared the % of insured 3GS owners with the % of insured 4 owners who filed broken glass claims.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.