Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sjobslostinterview.jpg

In 1995, before Steve Jobs returned to Apple, he sat down with Bob Cringely for an hour-long interview during the making of the Triumph of the Nerds TV series. Roughly 10 minutes of the interview was used in the show, but the rest of the historic interview was lost during shipping.

After Steve Jobs passed away in October, Triumph of the Nerds director Paul Sen decided to try and find a copy of interview, one Bob Cringely called "the best TV interview Steve Jobs ever gave". Sen found a VHS copy of the interview in his garage, and, after extensive restoration, the full-length interview is going to appear for a limited engagement in a number of theaters across the country.
Of all the reader suggestions for what I should do with my little film Steve Jobs -- The Lost Interview, not one involved showing the movie in theaters. Yet that was the first thing that came to my mind. How old media-like of me and how new media-like of you. So we're opening November 16th for a short run in about 20 U.S. theaters. These are mainly Landmark Theaters, but some others are now coming on and we've even had inquiries from Europe and Asia (keep them coming, please). The idea came to me late at night so I e-mailed Landmark owner Mark Cuban who replied in five minutes. proving insomnia has its virtues.
Cringely believes seeing a movie in a theater is a social experience, one that isn't "the same [as] watching on YouTube". He does hint that the show will eventually make its way online as well.

The movie will run on November 16th and 17th in most cities, with a longer run in Jobs' hometown of Palo Alto.

Article Link: "Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview" Coming to Theaters

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
I'm sure he just happened across it... And how dumb to show it in theaters.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

I don't want to go to a theater to watch an interview. Just put it online.

Saying that it's not as "social" as a movie theater is silly--you can't make comments about the film to your friends without angering those around you.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Time to stop all of this.

The book was already coming out, whether Steve Jobs was still alive or not. However, just cashing in on his name is not on and disrespectful to not only his memory, but more importantly, his family.

JudgeKenny

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Uh....WHY??? This is bizarre. I love Steve Jobs but this is ridiculous. Clearly, a profit is the only motivator here.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Time to stop all of this.

The book was already coming out, whether Steve Jobs was still alive or not. However, just cashing in on his name is not on and disrespectful to not only his memory, but more importantly, his family.

Uh....WHY??? This is bizarre. I love Steve Jobs but this is ridiculous. Clearly, a profit is the only motivator here.

Totally agree that there are only dollar signs in his eyes. But you'd be silly if you thought the multiple reschedulings of the biography had nothing to do with attempting to capitalize on his inevitable death.

Last edited:

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
Why not distribute it freely digitally in iPod/aTV/iPad/Mac friendly files! Seriously this is lame!

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview" Coming to Theaters

Like DUH!

This can't be a "lost interview" because he has it. "Lost" is defined as missing, gone, vanished. By definition, this guy's an idiot.

----------

Cringely believes seeing a movie in a theater is a social experience, one that isn't "the same [as] watching on YouTube". He does hint that the show will eventually make its way online as well.

I hope he shows it in theaters. It'll bomb and cost him a fortune that won't be recoverable. No one would go to a movie theater to see an interview.

EgbertAttrick

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

What a dick.

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
I recommend an hour worth of trailers just to give it that two hour movie feel. And slides before the trailers to advertise the book.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
LOL. Right. Just happened to find. What, did the UPS truck crash in your garage 16 years ago?

Considering how much of a hassle making a copy was back when, you'd think they'd know about VHS copies running around, vs. losing it all in shipping. Sure, a likely excuse. The check is in the mail.

Ph.D.... yeah, he's got one. Piled High & Deep.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Oh yeah, he's doing it for the huge amounts of cash he'll make for showing it in 18 theaters, each one running it four times.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I hope people don't pay to watch a 10 minute interview lol, that would be really weird.

milliepuppy

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
.. think this will make it way 'online' with in hours of it being first shown .... bootlegged on an iphone .. how appropriate . ! ;)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I had actually considered going to theaters to see it (it's only $8 and one of the theaters is just a mile from me,) but after reading everyone's comments, I agree that I'd much rather see this video online, or at least on TV.

1 Hour long clearly cries out to be aired on TV, not shown in a theater.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
How crap is it going to look on a cinema screen, considering it's off an old VHS?! You can treat it and add as many filters as you want, but as my old audio teacher used to say 'Crap audio is always going to be crap audio, no matter how many filters you apply to it'. A VHS would look terrible on an LCD TV, let alone a gigantic cinema screen. Forget it. Online for me :)

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
I've always wondered where the rest of this interview was, ever since I saw parts of it on the documentary. I've looked multiple times online, but I'm glad it is finally coming out. :cool:

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The real story behind the "lost" interview:

"Unbeknown to Cringely, Paul Sen, director of "Triumph of the Nerds," had dubbed a VHS copy of the Jobs interview and chucked it in the back of his garage in a London suburb, where it sat collecting dust for years.

After Jobs died, Sen went looking for the interview. He told Cringely of his find and suggested that perhaps Cringely could put it on his technology blog I Cringely as a "gift to the world."

"He didn't see any commercial value in it," Cringely said. "I have three kids I have to put through college, so I thought maybe we could sell it."

Cringely sent Landmark Theatres co-owner Mark Cuban an email late one night, less than three weeks ago, to see whether there would be any interest in screening it on Landmark screens. Less than five minutes later, Cuban fired back that he was game."

http://mobile.latimes.com/p.p?a=rp&...DL.w=&DL.d=10&DQ=sectionId%3A5226&DPS=0&DPL=3

----

So basically Cringley is just trying to cash in on it like everyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.