Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
What? They've gone as far as mislabeling it Firebreak and someone still managed to be curious enough to toggle it? Pretty amazing discovery I'd have to say.

That, and did the user go string-by-string switching toggles, and then go through every menu/option on the phone looking for changes? :eek:

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I am testing this right now. It's very clear to me that there's an obvious reason why Apple didn't release it yet: it sucks.

When it does work, it's blurry as heck. 3rd pic is a good example.
Also worthy of note: The photos are in FULL RESOLUTION. Which means your iPhone 4 is technically capable of near-continuous shooting of 5MP pictures. And yes, this was taken with an iPhone 4.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I think it's easier to submit an app to the App Store marked as a "flashlight" that actually enables this than it is to deal with a tethered jailbreak.

My cousin used to use the 2.0 tethered jailbreak. Nightmare :eek:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I am testing this right now. It's very clear to me that there's an obvious reason why Apple didn't release it yet: it sucks.

Glad to see there's a good reason, unlike the reason Siri is not on the iPod.
And thanks for the pics, more useful than the OP!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
If this ever comes out, I found out how to keep the photos from discoloring (while it may still be out of focus)
Hold the focus and lock the exposure. Fixed 90% of the problem, the other 10% was solved by slowly moving.
Now we know exactly why Apple put in the AE/AF lock!

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 339

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
You don't think that the outages are reason enough to not put Siri in the grasp of yet oodles more people?

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
iOS 6 maybe, or even 5.1(.2, .3, whatever they get up to), since they added HDR in 4.1.

Wonder if they'll even include neat little sub-features like automatically matching exposure between images to have the same lighting patterns across the whole panorama.

Knowing Apple, that sounds like something they'd pitch as a feature in and of itself.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I was waiting for this ever since iPhone 4 came out with a gyroscope.

It's too bad they haven't been able to make a high quality implementation worth including in the last year and a half. :/ I guess it's not an easy task.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Not liking the UI for it (the big plain button saying 'Panorama'. Looks a bit Android-ish :O

Doesn't it occur to you that it didn't get released yet because it's not ready? it's just a raw test, and it will not look like that when it's done!

----------

I was waiting for this ever since iPhone 4 came out with a gyroscope.

It's too bad they haven't been able to make a high quality implementation worth including in the last year and a half. :/ I guess it's not an easy task.

Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to take a full 360° photo, one that never ends?

----------

Also worthy of note: The photos are in FULL RESOLUTION. Which means your iPhone 4 is technically capable of near-continuous shooting of 5MP pictures. And yes, this was taken with an iPhone 4.

It looks like the camera didn't focus properly; I wonder if it's because of the low light or the lens is dirty. Try again during the day, if possible outdoors or with good lighting.

Edit: I just saw your last attempt. It looks very good. Of course, Panoramic photos tend to distort when the subject is close. There are some algorithms that may be able to compensate for it, and provide a better image.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
It looks like the camera didn't focus properly; I wonder if it's because of the low light or the lens is dirty. Try again during the day, if possible outdoors or with good lighting.

The autofocus messes up the pano every time. You'll have to turn on AE/AF for any satisfactory result.

Here's my room when shot in 360 Panorama. Yeah, big difference. Except this shoots at a lower resolution instead of at the full 5MP resolution.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 470

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005

Wooo, same bed spread!!

CoreForce

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
Zurich, Switzerland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Doing this kind of thing with "Pano" app from Debacle for years now. There is a Flickr group for it: http://www.flickr.com/groups/iphonepanoramas/
Am I missing something from this?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
well one this is for sure and that is Apple better release this asap or else android will now that they have another thing to copy :p

But Android (4.0) already has it. It's once again the case of Apple copying Android (and many other cameras that had it for quite a while). I know that my Sony P&S has this mode.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I may be doing this wrong but it looks like on iOS 5.0.1 beta it doesn't work.

Code:
NSMutableDictionary *dict = [NSMutableDictionary dictionaryWithContentsOfFile:@"/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mobileslideshow.plist"];
NSLog([NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@", [dict objectForKey:@"EnableFirebreak"]]);

The log returns: (null)

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Panorama photos usually require the viewer to give a crap and expand the photo to see what the hell is going on.

Otherwise it looks like a little strip and unless people care to expand the image (AND THEY DON"T) it's a stupid feature that only the person taking the photo cares about.

That's why it didn't make the cut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.