Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
While I'm not a fan of Samsung, I think they should be able to sell the thing wherever they want. Did they copy the iPad? Yeah, the design is very similar. But it's a "tablet" and I suspect most tablets are going to look like.... a tablet. It's just like how every phone in the past few years has basically looked like the iPhone. A screen, a button or two or three.... done!

While the hardware on the iPad is great, it's the software that seals the deal. No one else has iOS except for apple. And right now I think iOS is what is keeping people coming back. The hardware of every mac product can be found cheaper elsewhere. And more powerful too. But iOS is solid and people love it. Not to mention updates are free. That's why iPad is selling so great, and I doubt samsung's current offerings are much of a threat in any country. Even if samsung had something over the iPad would that be so bad? I'd rather Apple keep cooking up good ideas to compete with the people at Samsung. If apple was the definitive #1 tech company and no one had anything even close to them then our refreshes would suck.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
What, you say.

In the real world, a court made the decision and Samsung lost. This isn't between dMavo and Apple, it's between dMavo and the Australian courts. You seem to be in your own personal reality distortion field.

The australian case was about specific patents, not for "copying the looks though", and the German injunction was about Apple having a Community Design registration for a rectangle with a glass panel. :rolleyes:

So it seems the personal distortion field is actually knowing and understanding the cases... interesting.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Publicity stunt to capture sales before being forced to 'bow down' and eat it.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
If you were a "diehard apple fan", you would have immediately understood its significance, both present and future, when Steve was comfortably swiping around on it in an easy-chair onstage.

I do have a few iMacs and 4 MBA/MB/MBPs and 5 iPods. No iPhones or iPads though, as I don't understand their use.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Things to note:

- The injunction against Samsung stands on one product and one product only. Samsung is free to sell any of its upcoming tablets.

- The judge that granted an injunction is married to one of the senior counsel members of Wentworth 5- the barrister firm representing Apple in the court case. Conflict of interest?

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Also, this is good for the consumer. Competition is good.

In addition, after playing with both, I have to say that I find the Galaxy tab more useful and configurable than the iPad.

However, even as a diehard apple fan, I still find the whole iPad concept totally useless for 99% of people, especially with the cost of a MBA + USB LTE being not much more than an iPad (949€ vs. 799€).

I am all for competition and Apple needs that too, but to be competitive other companies need to innovate their OWN designs, etc.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Let's see,

contempt of court
monetary fines
goods seized
possibly arrest warrant for business owner for Australia or countries that might extradite

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Stand against Apple my ass. They're an Apple reseller: http://dmavo.com.au/search=macbook/

If they really meant it, they'd pull all their lucrative Mac and iDevice products.

And if I was Apple, I'd certainly honor dMavo's wishes and cancel their reseller authorization for them.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I am all for competition and Apple needs that too, but to be competitive other companies need to innovate their OWN designs, etc.

Samsung does a huge amount of innovation (on a much wider range of products than just computer-related electronics). I think this whole "copying" Apple thing is totally ridiculous, except from the angle that the consumer loses because all products are similar.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden

Ha! Hit the nail on the head with this one, Acid! This sooooo true, especially where I'm living here in Sweden. It is engrained deep in the roots of the culture here.

From a broader perspective, though, it is a part of our global societal nature as well, more or less.

The real question here though, is what the hell this little net retailer has to gain at all by these blatantly law defying actions? The small gain from the media coverage must surely be overwhelmingly outweighed by the risk involved when the hammer eventually goes down on them - assuming Samsung's appeal is denied. And to be so public about it???

Very suspect. According to all the analysis, the Samsung tablet isn't even selling well anywhere, so this manouver seems more based on the principal of the act of defiance than any real business gain.

But what principal is the act based on then? The principal defying authority? The Australian legal system's? Apple's? Or does this guy actually believe that Samsung have been wronged by the injunction ruling?

Either way he seems to be trying to paint the actions of his company as some sort of heroic rebellion, which is ludicrous, even if you are anti-Apple for whatever reason.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
While I'm not a fan of Samsung, I think they should be able to sell the thing wherever they want. Did they copy the iPad? Yeah, the design is very similar. But it's a "tablet" and I suspect most tablets are going to look like.... a tablet. It's just like how every phone in the past few years has basically looked like the iPhone. A screen, a button or two or three.... done!

While the hardware on the iPad is great, it's the software that seals the deal. No one else has iOS except for apple. And right now I think iOS is what is keeping people coming back. The hardware of every mac product can be found cheaper elsewhere. And more powerful too. But iOS is solid and people love it. Not to mention updates are free. That's why iPad is selling so great, and I doubt samsung's current offerings are much of a threat in any country. Even if samsung had something over the iPad would that be so bad? I'd rather Apple keep cooking up good ideas to compete with the people at Samsung. If apple was the definitive #1 tech company and no one had anything even close to them then our refreshes would suck.

Here here.

You win the race by having the best horse, not by locking the stable doors of the other horses so you don't have any competition.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
+1. I don't yet have iPad. At some point I probably will get one, but the fact is that it doesn't do everything I need. My MBA does.

it doesn't do everything I need either. But then, I used to think our windows boxes did evything I needed them to do too. After that, I used to think our Mac Pros did as well, the MBPs, and only after actually spending a months with the iPad did I realize what it could do for our creative & collaborative processes that any of those couldn't. As well, the overlapping functionality between devices, the iPad generally does quicker and more conveniently. Now it's become a critical and irreplaceable part of our business. And until all those apps and services appear on android, things like this Galaxy tablet are merely toys.

But that's our experience. Some may not require anything more than email, web, and digital content consumption. For them, buying into the whole iOS ecosystem just to get basic functionality may be overkill.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Also, this is good for the consumer. Competition is good.

In addition, after playing with both, I have to say that I find the Galaxy tab more useful and configurable than the iPad.

However, even as a diehard apple fan, I still find the whole iPad concept totally useless for 99% of people, especially with the cost of a MBA + USB LTE being not much more than an iPad (949€ vs. 799€).

It's funny how your a "diehard apple fan", but you hate the iPad :rolleyes:

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
It's funny how your a "diehard apple fan", but you hate the iPad :rolleyes:

LOL.

That's because it doesn't (still) have a useful function. The "inexpensive" versions are crippled without 4G/LTE, while the 3G-enabled versions are very close in price to an MBA without a valid input method. I own a ton of apple gear, but just don't see the need for an iPad.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The real question here though, is what the hell this little net retailer has to gain at all by these blatantly law defying actions? The small gain from the media coverage must surely be overwhelmingly outweighed by the risk involved when the hammer eventually goes down on them - assuming Samsung's appeal is denied. And to be so public about it??? ...

I bet that the site already got millions more eyeballs on its site.

And how'd they copy the iPad exactly?

Samsung doesn't copy Apple, not at all:
http://obamapacman.com/2011/09/samsung-did-not-copy-apple-iphone-ipad-design/

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
I don't mind the slap fights apple gets into. it's when it stomps on other businesses that I get annoyed. Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.