Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/analyst_iphone_order_cutback_Reports_are_wrong/

UBS: Rumors of iPhone order cutback are wrong

“Reports out of China claim Apple is cutting back on iPhone 4S parts orders because consumer demand is dropping off,” Jeff Gamet reports for The Mac Observer.

“‘Those reports are wrong, according to UBS analyst Maynard Um, and his checks show iPhone 4S demand is still going strong,’” Gamet reports. “We believe the Commercial Times report is without merit and believe iPhone 4S demand is not an issue,’ Mr. Um said. ‘Our recent checks indicate that iPhone 4S is still selling out and experiencing 1-2 week waits for online orders with demand also driven by accelerated carrier/country launches.’”

Gamet reports, “He added that parts suppliers ‘have very recently indicated strength into [the calendar fourth quarter], which would be counter to weakening demand.’”

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I knew that once the hype of the 4S release was over sales would slowly drop.. People want the iphone 5 and are willing to wait two or three quarters for it; ) I for myself have no interest in the 4/4S, too thick and bulky.

i'm waiting for the iphone 7 myself

DTMfan

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I knew that once the hype of the 4S release was over sales would slowly drop.. People want the iphone 5 and are willing to wait two or three quarters for it; ) I for myself have no interest in the 4/4S, too thick and bulky.

This

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007

What part of they sold almost 3 times as many 4Ss than the release of the 4 are people missing?

That does not signify people are waiting for the iphone 5.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
One thing I've wondered about with regard to the 4s sales numbers is the fact that all of the people who bought their iPhone 4 units within the first few weeks of launch are still not eligible for a subsidized upgrade to the 4s. That's probably 3-8 million AT&T subscribers we're talking about.

I got my iPhone 4 on launch day and I'm not eligible for a subsidized upgrade to the 4s until November 25th. I'm wondering how many of my fellow first day/week purchase of the iPhone 4 are in the same boat and will be mobbing retail channels when we're finally able to upgrade.

Not true, if buy at AT&T. It will bump eligibility 30 days if you ask.

----------

Just another iPhone competitor employee on a soda break. Nice try. Here's your first post here:

"InYou101
macrumors newbie
Sooo Disappointed!!!
Seriously... an iphone 4s!? All this wait for the same for the same stuff with a better chip and camera!? The fake iphone from China looks way better then this. Sad to say apple is no longer about innovation and pushing the envelope with technology and DESIGN. They could have atleast made it thinner or something... I might just keep my 3GS till something better comes along."

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple is actually outperforming the market right now (which is taking a plunge because of the whole Italy and eurozone situation). Nevertheless, I still see some headlines about how Apple is "falling" on "fears about iPhone shipments."

The stores are still selling out every night, and it hasn't yet gone on sale everywhere. My guess is that this report, if it's even true, is simply Apple managing its supply chain, or even diversifying its suppliers.

rdthompson

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
I am going to wait till December because I'm broke. But I just asked my girlfriend who works at an Apple Store and she said that I would have to reserve one and wait for a shipment of them to come in. She said that they are all spoken for before they get them so it sounds pretty dry to me.

I have asked a few clients if they are upgrading. Some said no so I asked how they are resisting the allure of voice appointments, text, and email. They all seem to be in the dark about Siri and the functionality. These people are very busy and have a lot to gain from quick one handed appointment setting. When I tell them how Siri works they get all excited and say that they aren't waiting for an upgrade anymore and want Siri.

My friend Tom had a Siri moment today when Siri warned him in front of a client that he was double booking. He said "cancel" then Siri said "That is a good idea Tom, you are way too busy." it was funny because he is way too busy! He said the client was amazed and now wants to run out and buy a 4S. My point is that I think there are many people who have yet to see the benefit of Siri for speeding business matters. The sales may stay strong as more people see Siri in action over the months to come.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
iPhone 7

Sprint tells me I have to wait 172 days & they'll give me $150. off on an iPhone 4s. The end of my 2 years with Sprint isn't until Jul 15, 2012. At that time I would assume that I could change from my large screened 4G HTC Android smartphone for a smaller screened 3G iPhone. If it wasn't because everything else we use here is Mac, iPod & iPad I wouldn't be thinking of a change.

By time I can update my telephone it will be close to the time for the iPhone 5, so I will be one of those waiting for the iPhone 5. Now whether I get one or not may be a different story. We usually keep our phones for 5 or more years. That means I'll miss a few more of those iPhone models. Maybe as someone else said that they are waiting for the iPhone 7 to come out. Now to see whether Apple can put the pressure to a high enough level. I don't like to talk to my phone, just to people at the other end, so Siri is of no interest at this time. My 1970's HeathKit could always talk to me & had a limited speech recognition tech so this seems so old tech that is finally coming back after a 32 year absence. Things better work at a much higher level now. Those HeathKits ran CP/M OS with 48-64KB of memory, running 2 MHz at 8 bits. Why is it that every time I repeat what others say that Siri is still a beta that I get told that I am wrong? What is correct? Is Siri still a beta? Sounds like Google. All of there shipping items are a beta. A couple may have finally stopped being betas but I wouldn't be one to vouch for that conclusion.

My son & daughter both say that they plan to get an iPhone 4s on their Sprint networks. Their spouses say that one will get the HTC 3D as he's a Linux person as that is their dog's name. Our daughter-in-law may or may not change. But change to the iPhone may take place. I was a Mac User back in 1984 when my son turned 8, but they will probably lead us in this iPhone rush. They are the ones that got us to change to Sprint from Verizon so I was glad to see that Sprint went with the iPhone. I didn't want to change cell phone companies again.

----------

i'm waiting for the iphone 7 myself

Before I calculated how old my large screen Android phone would be I thought that I was also an iPhone 7 hold out. The normal update time may not come until the iPhone 8 though.

Unlike others though I am not weighting because the iPhone is to thick & bulky. If anything it would go the opposite direction.

Have fun with your iPhone 7. Maybe you can convince me then.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE

Everybody has a different idea of what is the correct size of cell phone, smart or otherwise. For you your opinion is correct. Fo me maybe or maybe not, but that should not be a problem for you or to anyone else. It would be boring if every phone looked the same, whether it was big or small. We need to be different just like snow flakes are different.

To someone that likes the little size that cell phones had gotten to the iPhone is rather large. To someone that is finally getting rid of their old suitcase phone the iPhone is rather small.

I've always liked my devices to be sized big enough to be able to do what I need it to do. But to me Apple seems to be all about being small & pretty. Sometimes things are then missing. But to you even this small & pretty is to bulky & thick. With as many units as Apples sells it would be nice if they had more than one sized model. They really need a smaller one for you, a larger one for me & a middle sized one for everyone else. No wonder we don't always get what we want.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I find a thread like this the most entertaining of all. Every Apple apologist, fanboy, and excuse maker weighs in with the best responses of all. :) :) :)

I really enjoy my Apple products, but this one is just a phone :)

InYou101

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thank you all for all of the great feedback on my earlier post.. First I would like to thank my family for always being there. Second I would like to thank all of my fans because if it wouldn't be for you I wouldn't be here. Hahaha....

Hulk12

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

heisetax said:

Everybody has a different idea of what is the correct size of cell phone, smart or otherwise. For you your opinion is correct. Fo me maybe or maybe not, but that should not be a problem for you or to anyone else. It would be boring if every phone looked the same, whether it was big or small. We need to be different just like snow flakes are different.

To someone that likes the little size that cell phones had gotten to the iPhone is rather large. To someone that is finally getting rid of their old suitcase phone the iPhone is rather small.

I've always liked my devices to be sized big enough to be able to do what I need it to do. But to me Apple seems to be all about being small & pretty. Sometimes things are then missing. But to you even this small & pretty is to bulky & thick. With as many units as Apples sells it would be nice if they had more than one sized model. They really need a smaller one for you, a larger one for me & a middle sized one for everyone else. No wonder we don't always get what we want.

Regardless of what smartphone you will never get what you want

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/analyst_iphone_order_cutback_Reports_are_wrong/

UBS: Rumors of iPhone order cutback are wrong

“Reports out of China claim Apple is cutting back on iPhone 4S parts orders because consumer demand is dropping off,” Jeff Gamet reports for The Mac Observer.

“‘Those reports are wrong, according to UBS analyst Maynard Um, and his checks show iPhone 4S demand is still going strong,’” Gamet reports. “We believe the Commercial Times report is without merit and believe iPhone 4S demand is not an issue,’ Mr. Um said. ‘Our recent checks indicate that iPhone 4S is still selling out and experiencing 1-2 week waits for online orders with demand also driven by accelerated carrier/country launches.’”

Gamet reports, “He added that parts suppliers ‘have very recently indicated strength into [the calendar fourth quarter], which would be counter to weakening demand.’”

And here is a the latest news article from Digitimes:

Amazon increases Kindle Fire orders

Yenting Chen and Rebecca Kuo, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Thursday 10 November 2011]

Amazon has recently increased its Kindle Fire orders to more than five million units before the end of 2011 as pre-orders for the machine remain strong, according to sources from upstream component suppliers.

Amazon already raised its order volume once in the middle of the third quarter, up from 3.5 million units originally to four million units.

Since the company estimates that demand for Kindle Fire will become even stronger at the end of 2011, Amazon has further increased its orders. Amazon's upstream partners including Wintek, Chunghwa Picture Tubes (CPT), LG Display, Ilitek, Quanta Computer, Aces Connectors and Wah Hong Industrial will all benefit from the short-term orders.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I for myself have no interest in the 4/4S, too thick and bulky.

I personally want a phone that doesn't exist in this dimension sideways. When it does I must be able to carry it around in a thimble. It also must have a negative weight that offsets the weight of the thimble. It should also have Quantum Field Communication, because NFC for payments is so yesterday. I need smaller and closer. Hopefully that's the iPhone 5.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
whilst the phones may be out of stock at Apple stores. 2 days after launch in my city, EVERY network franchise shop had it in stock.

That never happened with the 3GS or 4.

Its an underwhelming update with a 'marmite' selling feature, there are better and/or cheaper alternatives out there in numbers.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The sales for the launch weekend were astronomical. Many bought as a tribute to Steve. Perhaps common sense is sinking in now and people will wait for the iPhone 5 with LTE?

InYou101

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011

that

----------

Not true, if buy at AT&T. It will bump eligibility 30 days if you ask.

----------

Just another iPhone competitor employee on a soda break. Nice try. Here's your first post here:

"InYou101
macrumors newbie
Sooo Disappointed!!!
Seriously... an iphone 4s!? All this wait for the same for the same stuff with a better chip and camera!? The fake iphone from China looks way better then this. Sad to say apple is no longer about innovation and pushing the envelope with technology and DESIGN. They could have atleast made it thinner or something... I might just keep my 3GS till something better comes along."

lol no dude I don't work for the competition but it sure sounds like you work for Apple. Qudos for doing your homework thou;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.