Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
I wish there was some way for Siri to activate while the device is locked and raised up to the ear. I'm certainly aware of the logistics and problems involved and why we won't see it but I sure wish it was possible.

Well, the device can be on the lock screen and still work? All you have to do is pull the phone out, click home and put it to your face. No unlocking needed.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I wonder how much juice that uses IR'ing all day? I'd guess based on the battery life on our various IR remotes not much[?]

I was worried at first, until I read "whenever the device's display is on” which makes more sense :) Unlock your phone and raise it to your face... don’t just raise the dormant phone to your face. (That couldn’t work anyway: it wouldn’t know your face from your pocket!)

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
Reading the headline, I thought this was about a hardware revision due to a bug in the original 4S-parts. :D:apple:

navindralr

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I shall be turning this off now. I should have an option to activate with the home button and then have it work when held to my face, but not have it ALWAYS ready for raise-to-speak.

I turned this off two days ago, and this has made drastic improvement of my battery life. This was the one thing that was killing my batter like crazy (10% per hour). I know the battery issue is appearantly different for each person, but this was the culprit for me.. thankful I finally figured it out.

frostbit3

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
this could in theory be Apple's technical reason for no siri on iPhone 4. We already know that the iPhone 4's proximity sensor has had issues...

Yeah but couldn't a software update enable the sensor to be on at all times that the screen is on as well?

m9enus

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
I wish there was some way for Siri to activate while the device is locked and raised up to the ear. I'm certainly aware of the logistics and problems involved and why we won't see it but I sure wish it was possible.

it works, the screen has to be on, the phone can be locked...

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Wow, Hot/smart chicks are hot. They are smart too. :)

I wonder if stretching the event loop out to check for the motion could be related. I would not think it would eat that many more cycles, however, we know something is happening in the background and it is only effecting some people. I know the IR does not burn that much power, how about the CCD?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Just to be clear, the article source states the IR is only active when the screen is on.

I was worried at first, until I read "whenever the device's display is on” which makes more sense :) Unlock your phone and raise it to your face... don’t just raise the dormant phone to your face. (That couldn’t work anyway: it wouldn’t know your face from your pocket!)

Great points and clarification above!

Though the post below is sort of interesting too:

I turned this off two days ago, and this has made drastic improvement of my battery life. This was the one thing that was killing my batter like crazy (10% per hour). I know the battery issue is appearantly different for each person, but this was the culprit for me.. thankful I finally figured it out.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Siri is an amazing feature of the iPhone 4S, but I'm already starting to grow tired of so many Siri rumors. Isn't there something better to talk about???

----------

Careful, she lurks here. :D

She's quite a stalker... could she be also watching you through your phone's cameras? :eek:

Unique Visuals

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
In the woods
It does so the volume changes

its always on with the screen to tell if its against your ear or held away from you. If you keep it up to your ear the volume is a bit lower then if you lower it down.

P.S I was testing it by making a note that said "thank you" and the last time Siri told me "Your satisfaction is all I need"

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Does 'Raise to Speak' work for you 100%?

For me, it's hit-and-miss; sometimes the phone registers 'Raise to Speak', sometimes it doesn't. Can be very frustrating. Not sure if something's wrong with my device.

I've seen others with the same issue.

Try this: Turn on your phone, go to the home screen, and then while holding it front of you, bring it up to your ear.

It seems that while the IR may be on a lot, the phone may also be relying on the accelerometer/gryo, and it seems like it's looking for your wrist action rotating from holding it in front of you, to putting it to your ear.

Figment4

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Castro Valley
"All the time" Really?

1. Screen lit.
2. Screen not lit.
3. Headset attached.
4. Bluetooth headset active.

I think there are a few more variations to be tested in order to claim that the IR sensor is active "all the time".

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Raise to speak doesn't work 80% of the time to test it out. Doesn't work at all in a real life situation.

Plenty of threads about this on the apple forums. Hopefully they fix the sensitivity int the next update.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Cannot believe you just called me out as a lurker. Owned.

As much as "always-on" IR might affect battery life, I'm doubtful that it's responsible for a battery draining at a rate of 10% per hour. My bet's on software.

Oh lucky me, Shell Beach FTW! ;)

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
I turned off "Raise to Speak" because it works about 50-60% of the time. Needs work, still very beta, much like Siri.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Careful, she lurks here. :D

Knowing a few girls (I.E. almost all of them) in my computer engineering degree, I guess she's used to it ;) (Not implying that they appreciate it, though)

Cannot believe you just called me out as a lurker. Owned.

As much as "always-on" IR might affect battery life, I'm doubtful that it's responsible for a battery draining at a rate of 10% per hour. My bet's on software.

Even the software decoding of the IR sensor image is negligible. It probably has to do with some other inefficient process we still have to learn about.

thelumpya2

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2008
Sorry I could care less about the proximity sensor, I'm having trouble getting past how strangely sexy MJ from ifixit is..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.