Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The Apple employees are very generous. To bad their employer isn't. It's pathetic for a company of this size, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
What's up with all the Steve Jobs hate here? The story is about Apple's charitable donations, not about who put them in place and why.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You're wrong on so many levels...

How many people does Apple employ around the world (directly, and indirectly)? How much money do these people pay in taxes around the world?

Do you really think that paying a couple million in charity money has the same effect as putting that same money towards a new product? A new product that could take off, and have create waves down the supply chain for production and manufacturing?

Donating for the sake of "donating" is pointless. Use your money how you see fit.

I can think of 80 billion reasons they should be doing more. The people who need charity aren't buying Apple products. They are starving to death or dying of diseases that should have been eradicated by now.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I can think of 80 billion reasons they should be doing more. The people who need charity aren't buying Apple products. They are starving to death or dying of diseases that should have been eradicated by now.

If you feel so strongly about it, get off the internet and go "do something about it."

Since when is it a corporations "duty" to give money away?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If you feel so strongly about it, get off the internet and go "do something about it."

to be fair - you have no idea what he does or doesn't do with his money, time or occupation.

muckydoggy1

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
uh....

Um... it isn't anybody's duty to give to charity. People give to charity out of generosity and human compassion. Why should it be different for one of the worlds largest companies? Last time i looked, apple still employed human beings and the most certainly have the cash to give a little.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
He (the person you quoted) doesn't seem to realize that Apples expansion and job creation is a benefit to society even more so than charitable donation, since creating jobs creates more people with the potential to donate to charity.

When a company literally has tens of billions of dollars of cash and cash equivalents available they can be pretty damn generous without risking their expansion plan.

Big Apple fan but their philanthropy is a joke.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Personally I applaud Tim for instating this program. It's a good beginning and hopefully more will be done as time goes on. I hope that Tim humanizes the company a bit as time goes on.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I'm not hoarding $80 billion. Shame on Apple.

Either is Apple. The $80 billion isn't sitting in a vault somewhere cut off from the world. It's invested in real people and real companies that make a difference in the world. Money isn't what makes a difference unless it is invested in the right things.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It isn't the Free Market's job to give people handouts. It is government's job to look to the welfare of its citizens. It's a nice thing when corporate entities do it, but to criticize this sector for not doing it is ludicrous.

Throwing money at a problem now and then doesn't help. There is the question of sustainability, and that comes from long-time programs that are specific to culture, region, country, and need. Corporate charity falls far short of addressing these areas adequately and over the long-term.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Apple should give a few hundred million of their 80 billion.

Why not suggest Apple become an NPO? ;)

$1.3 million, wow that's what? Roughly 0.006% of its profits last year.
Seriously, I know we live in a capitalist country but a little bit more philanthropy is possible.

You are forgetting that this was money is from charitable contributions by employees from their own paychecks and voluntarily matched by Apple.

IMHO, philanthropy through volunteering or charitable contributions is basic human decency. As for how much one gives, that's a personal decision.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
When a company literally has tens of billions of dollars of cash and cash equivalents available they can be pretty damn generous without risking their expansion plan.

Big Apple fan but their philanthropy is a joke.

I'm a Big Apple fan, but it's a shame they don't send their employees to low-income areas to educate people. You know, because their employees are intelligent and make money, they SHOULD go help everyone that they can.

Of course, that's what a shareholder would want them to do, right? Shareholders want companies to give money away, and veer from the company vision...right?

pjfanelli

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
LMAO! That's a great reason to be tight fisted.

Unfortunately for you, there are people called shareholders. They own the company. These people are less inclined for Apple to give away their money. They are in the business of investing, not charity. Part of the reason that Apple's stock is where it is is because of this cash on hand.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple hasn’t been known for “giving to charity” as such (though they’ve supported good causes in other ways) and I’m very glad that’s changing.

(We can’t level the criticism re Steve Jobs’ personal fortune: he may well have given millions, but he didn’t brag about it so we just don’t know.)

People who say Apple shouldn’t be FORCED to give away money are correct, but that’s beside the point. They should choose to. This is a good step.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I hope the people complaining about Apple not giving enough of the shareholders' money away are contributing a big chunk of their own income.

I think it's good as a PR move for Apple, even though some people will never be happy until there's a 99% corporate income tax, which somehow magically doesn't affect incentives.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

And the assumption is that Steve, as chairman when this program was launched, didn't okay it? Apple giving money to charity did never have abytiging to do with SJ.

Would not be surprised if he did not ok. As chairman he only has one vote on the board. Strong vote for still only one vote.

Given the fact that SJ removed the entire corporate philanthropy when he came back with a promise to bring it back when Apple was doing better. A promised he failed to EVER live up to while he was in power. The excuse of Apple not doing well was not valid for at least the past 7 years if not longer.

So yes I going to say Steve Jobs was the reason it had not happen before hand.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

How much of YOUR income is donated to stopping malaria? How many years did YOU spend digging wells in Africa? It sure is nice to have the luxury of telling others what they should do with their money, isn't it?

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Would not be surprised if he did not ok. As chairman he only has one vote on the board. Strong vote for still only one vote.

Given the fact that SJ removed the entire corporate philanthropy when he came back with a promise to bring it back when Apple was doing better. A promised he failed to EVER live up to while he was in power. The excuse of Apple not doing well was not valid for at least the past 7 years if not longer.

So yes I going to say Steve Jobs was the reason it had not happen before hand.

That's stupid, giving shareholder money away is a board decision - not a CEO one. If Steve did not vote Yes for this the board would have to agree or resign. You don't go against your chairman.

All of this talk about Apple giving away money shows whom understand how, and whom doesn't, it is to give away money for a big company like Apple. It is not as easy as writing a check.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Apple should give a few hundred million of their 80 billion.

They didn't do anything for charity for the past 15 years. It's about time they do something like every other major company in the country does. Their charitable work was a joke under Uncle Steve.

----------

That doesn't benefit people who need charity.

$1.3 million, wow that's what? Roughly 0.006% of its profits last year.
Seriously, I know we live in a capitalist country but a little bit more philanthropy is possible.

With the tax exceptions for charitable donations means they aren't out that much more money. I would have expected Apple to match 2:1.

The Apple employees are very generous. To bad their employer isn't. It's pathetic for a company of this size, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

So what percentages of your income and cash on hand have you donated this year?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.