Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OPTiK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Soo I started the OTA update without thinking. I've stopped it by disabling wifi for now, but I was wondering if there was any way to stop it overall? Having to keep wifi off until a JB is released might be a small pain :/

OPTiK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
well technically i havent updated, it just started downloading the update. i can probably force it to time out at home by modifying my router settings to block apple.com or something, but aside from that i dont really know how else. It still have 80% left to download and will only do restart if im connected to wifi ..good think i have an unlimited data plan :p

restoring might work too since the update is prob in a temp directory that wont get backed up..

OPTiK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
OTA updates WILL automatically download, but however they will NOT AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL. It needs verification before installing.

Every youtube video shows that it auto installs once it finishes downloading. When you first click it, it says "Download and install"

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Every youtube video shows that it auto installs once it finishes downloading. When you first click it, it says "Download and install"

I assume mine automatically downloaded as it only asks me to Install on my Software Update screen..

my battery life isn't too bad so I'm going to see about holding off for a 5.0 ujb

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
downloaded

bad news, mine downloaded and i didnt want to install it so i held off. In the past 10 hours it automatically installed.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
What do you mean off there is a check for updates button than an other button to download and install

My iPad downloaded the 5.0.1 update automatically. I don't want to upgrade to 5.0.1, I want to stay at 5.0. So I was hoping there is a way to stop the update from auto installing. It auto downloaded. :(

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK
My iPad downloaded the 5.0.1 update automatically. I don't want to upgrade to 5.0.1, I want to stay at 5.0. So I was hoping there is a way to stop the update from auto installing. It auto downloaded. :(

My iPad informed me that there was a new update and asked me if I wanted to

a) Cancel
b) Download only
c) Download and update

Is this not the same for everyone :confused:

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
My iPad informed me that there was a new update and asked me if I wanted to

a) Cancel
b) Download only
c) Download and update

Is this not the same for everyone :confused:

Mine did not offer a cancel option. It listed the available download and a download and install button. I exited the menu. I had my iPad 2 turned on and asleep all day. When I went to use it again the same menu showed "install update even though I never clicked the download button. It downloaded it by itself.

I want to turn off OTA updates but I do not see an option to disable OTA update. To insure it doesn't install the 5.0.1 update automatically I turned my iPad off. :(

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I think what it does is when you're on wifi and you plug the iPhone/iPad in then it's automatically downloading the update. At least that's what mine did. I plugged my iPhone in and picked it up a few minutes later and it asked would I like to download and install. I hit cancel of course, a few hours later it had downloaded but it appears as if ill have to go into software update and hit install now for it to install. I hope I'm right and it's not going to decide to automatically install!

dajanksta

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Mine did the same thing. I never chose to install anything nor do I ever have anything set to automatically download. I had to disable my wifi on my phone. Hoping to be able to fix this soon so I can use wifi.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Same here. I have no intention of installing the 5.0.1 update. The reason I updated from jailbroken 4.3 to 5.0 was because of the 5.0.1 release. I am hoping that a 5.0 iPad 2 jailbreak will come out soon.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
*bump*

Anyone know if there is a setting to disable auto download in backed-up plists? (Like the iOS 5 panorama camera mode)

I plan on staying on the 5.0 GM for awhile, and it seems awfully silly to continually download OTA delta updates that will never be installed.

EDIT: Can mod move this thread to the iOS 5 forum? Because its relevant to all devices.

Last edited:

Astrax

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
Put your device in DFU mode and exit DFU mode, you guys should be ok now. In cydia there's also a package called No Update by hidding the Update options. Hope this help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.