Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
i can't locate my serial number the nano is nowhere to be found. how can i go about locating this? would apple send me a letter? i hope they have the info somewhere. its not as easy to just call my buddy either so i need another route.

You need to send the unit into Apple so you need to find it.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
i can't locate my serial number the nano is nowhere to be found. how can i go about locating this? would apple send me a letter? i hope they have the info somewhere. its not as easy to just call my buddy either so i need another route.

Well, if the serial isn't clear on the back, if you have the box stowed away somewhere, you can get the serial from the sticker on the bottom of the box :)

Lagmonster

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
This is a nice surprise. My guess is it will be cheaper for them to toss these and send something current.

Nsaatoff

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Mine quit working years ago and I just couldn't throw it away. Glad I kept it! Submitted the serial number this morning.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
From the email I received:

"You will receive a replacement unit approximately 6 weeks after we receive your current iPod nano (1st gen)."

This, to me, doesn't "scream repair". It states it will be replaced. Replaced = new unit.

Replaced does not = new unit.
Replaced = refurbished unit.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I'm thinking they're going to give us back a first gen since it's only going to come with a 90 day warranty.

One of Apple's keys to success has always been inventory management. People here are thinking that they have legions of 6 year-old iPods sitting around? Enough to fulfill this program? No way.

Make new ones? No way. That equipment is long gone and the expense of setting up a new line for so few iPods would be far more than just sending a new version.

So, they're either going to repair the old ones or they're going to replace with current generation. The question is...what costs more - the replacement parts (battery and replacement back) plus labor to send it through the administrative chain and repair it, or the manufacturing cost of a current generation iPod Nano?

I'm going to send mine through the program and I consider it a win either way, but I don't see repair of the old one nor replacement with a previous generation as anywhere near realistic. I'm guessing the replacement will be current generation in a plain brown wrapper -- limits packaging/production costs and the 90 day warranty cuts their warranty risk. It's what they have on hand, gives them a chance to even better manage their inventory of the product (6 week replacement means they have wide latitude to fit it into their production schedule). I'll bet they can send new-generation replacements for $50 a unit or less all-in.

Last edited:

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
I found it! I knew it was here somewhere. Just checked the # and it does qualify!

However, this trusty old 2GB ipod died a few years ago and I bought a replacement battery for it on ebay. I replaced the battery, but it still did not work. Will they still replace a unit that's been opened? And a repair attempted?

Fingers crossed. :)

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I found it! I knew it was here somewhere. Just checked the # and it does qualify!

However, this trusty old 2GB ipod died a few years ago and I bought a replacement battery for it on ebay. I replaced the battery, but it still did not work. Will they still replace a unit that's been opened? And a repair attempted?

Fingers crossed. :)

probably

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I hope the replacement ipods are the new nanos. If they are I'm going to go around town, buy up all the beat up 1st gen nanos for $20, send them in, get a box full of new nanos, sell em all on fleabay, and get a bajillion dollars.

Wow, you're a genius.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
I qualified and filled out the form. Haven't used it for years as the battery was real bad.

I'll probably give the one i get back as a present. Nice to get free stuff! Thanks :apple:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why wouldn't they replace them with first generation nanos? You bought a first generation nano so it seems logical that you would get the same model as a replacement.

They wouldn't have any 1st gen nanos lying around, and getting the parts for it would probably be very difficult. Lots of stuff inside that is so outdated they stopped building it years ago. Much easier to replace them with nanos from the current production.

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
They wouldn't have any 1st gen nanos lying around, and getting the parts for it would probably be very difficult. Lots of stuff inside that is so outdated they stopped building it years ago. Much easier to replace them with nanos from the current production.

I hope you're right! I would love to have the new Nano. If they return a 2GB 1st gen Nano, then I will probably sell it.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
betting man

I'm relatively certain that they will give us the choice of which new ipod nano/shuffle we want, color and it'll be an 8GB size. AND/OR they may simply give a 100-125$ credit at the apple store so one could buy a new ipod touch.

It is way too much trouble to repair these units and they'll generate even MORE customer good will by simply replacing with a current unit.

The parts cost for a new generation nano is between 40-45$ USD. It simply isn't worth repairing, warrantying the repair on these half decade old units.

I had three of these (one bought a couple years ago for about 5$) because I had some accessories still (fm tuner sleds, etc.) that worked well for them and I just left one in each car.

All three seemed to have the serial number in the range but I think i'll only be sending TWO of them in for replacement. (one of them fits so perfectly in "that pocket" in my jeans) :-(

My vote is

NEW SHUFFLE REPLACEMENT

anyone else?

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
My first gen nano qualifies for a replacement. Curious to know what they're going to replace it with. I'd rather keep my first generation rather than exchange it with something else

Came here to say this. I love my original nano. I might part with it if it's a 4th or 5th generation candybar size, but the new nanos are just too small. If it's the new generation, I'd just prefer to have my 1st gen back.

Shearwater

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Leeds , West Yorkshire
While everyone is wondering which iPod.....

...will replace their existing one.......don't you think it is a bit worrying that Apple were required to do this in Korea in 2009...and Japan in 2010?

Where were the regulators in Europe and the US?? Even Apple say the older the device..the more the likelihood of explosion!!!

sswanky

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
I hope they accept mine without the battery. I heard a loud pop one day and went to find my iPod split open with its battery swollen and hanging out. I ended up cutting the wires and taking the battery to Best Buy to dispose of. Not my fault that my nano exploded itself.

And you held on to it all this time? That's dedication! My daughter wanted to keep our cat when it died, but that wouldn't have worked out so well :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.