Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Hi. Strangely my FaceTime app has disappeared off my iPhone. It is not located in a folder and I went to the settings to toggle the on off switch.

Any help please?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
If the Appis gone you can initiate facetime from with your contacts app... Not sure why it disappeared...

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
iOS 5 doesn't have a FaceTime app. It's embedded into the contact, message etc apps.

Really? That makes sense but if that is true then why do I still have my FaceTime app on my iPad?

Referring to an earlier question. I have a 32gb iPhone 4S. Its not jail broken and nothing out of the ordinary has been done to it.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Really? That makes sense but if that is true then why do I still have my FaceTime app on my iPad?

Referring to an earlier question. I have a 32gb iPhone 4S. Its not jail broken and nothing out of the ordinary has been done to it.

The iPhone never had a FaceTime app. It has always been built into the phone.app since it started. it never had an app for it to disappear...

The iPod touch and iPad 2 have it as a separate app as they have phone.app

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
The iPhone never had a FaceTime app. It has always been built into the phone.app since it started. it never had an app for it to disappear...

The iPod touch and iPad 2 have it as a separate app as they have phone.app

Correct. I wouldn't mind a FaceTime app on the phone but it really isn't needed.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Just like others have said, there is no stand-alone FaceTime app on the iPhone. FaceTime is built into the Phone app. There never has been a stand-alone FaceTime app on the iPhone.

However, the iPad and iPod touch do have stand-alone FaceTime apps.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
Just like others have said, there is no stand-alone FaceTime app on the iPhone. FaceTime is built into the Phone app. There never has been a stand-alone FaceTime app on the iPhone.

However, the iPad and iPod touch do have stand-alone FaceTime apps.

Exactly, to expand a bit on what you said: The FaceTime app on the iPod touch and iPad 2 is actually a stripped down Phone app. The iPhone does not have a FaceTime app because it already has the Phone app. The iPod touch and iPad do not have the Phone app so Apple gave them a stripped down Phone app for FaceTime purposes. Hence FaceTime on iPod touch and iPad and Phone app on iPhone.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Only the iPod touch 4th gen has the FaceTime app and the reason is because it has no Phone app. Once you toggle it on on and iPhone, you can use it via your Phone and Contacts book.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Only the iPod touch 4th gen has the FaceTime app and the reason is because it has no Phone app. Once you toggle it on on and iPhone, you can use it via your Phone and Contacts book.

No strictly true. The original iPad and iPad 2 also have FaceTime apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.