Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Coming several weeks late, Apple has just now officially launched iTunes Match to customers in the United States. The iTunes Match launch is facilitated by the release of iTunes 10.5.1, which now allows users to subscribe to the $25/year service offering cloud-based matching and upload of users' complete iTunes libraries. iTunes 10.5.1 is available via the iTunes download page and should be rolling out to Software Update shortly.

Apple had apparently initially intended iTunes Match to launch by mid-October as part of iTunes 10.5 as seen in a number of developer betas, but the company removed the feature from iTunes 10.5 for the public release, giving it a few more weeks to complete work on the service. Even so, Apple missed its stated launch target of "end of October" and did not provide an updated timeframe for the iTunes Match debut once the target was missed, although the company continued testing with a new developer beta of iTunes 10.5.1 just this past weekend.

itunes_match-500x314.png

iTunes Match is a U.S.-only service for the time being, although the company is reportedly working hard to secure licensing to details to expand availability to other countries. iTunes Store users in a number of countries have been greeted with a "coming soon" tag on iTunes Match promo listings in their country-specific stores, suggesting that Apple is optimistic regarding expansion of the service in the relatively near future.

Update: Demand of iTunes Match subscriptions has overwhelmed Apple's systems, and the company has halted new signups for the time being.
New iTunes Match subscriptions are temporarily unavailable.

Due to overwhelming demand, iTunes Match is not accepting new subscriptions at this time. Please check back in an hour.
Update 2: Despite Apple's notice about overwhelming demand still showing on the iTunes Match subscription page, subscriptions do now appear to be going through.

Update 3: iTunes 10.5.1 is now available in Software Update.

Article Link: Apple Launches iTunes Match with Release of iTunes 10.5.1 [Updated]

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Waiting to hear back on user reports.

Haven't heard much from dev community on feedback =o

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
1 simple question?

What happens if I lose all my data after one year? Am I still entitled to download all of it from iCloud?

There are so many questions about iTunes Match. I hope Apple puts a FAQs section to clear out these ambiguities.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
When I click on iTunes Match it still says it's a beta... hmm.

6344201353_d7b7b9e83c.jpg

Last edited:

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
If you can't get Software Update to offer iTunes 10.5.1, or iTunes built-in update checker, try going to Apple.com > iTunes > Download iTunes.
Worked here in the UK.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
About to pull the trigger, just waiting for iTunes to download. Would've been a beta tester except I can't see signing up for the dev program for that (since I'm not a developer, at least not currently). I've got good backups, I'm willing to take the risk.

jW

fishbert

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2009
Back up!

Back up your existing iTunes music before you replace anything with a matched version. Perfection rarely comes in a first release, and you may end up with borked metadata in a few places, clean versions of songs that were previously explicit (or vice versa), and so on.

DerekTS

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I have tested out the last 2 developer versions. This release is significantly better than the previous one. It seems like they got most of the bugs and problems worked out.

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
What? Why was beta 3 released the other day if they were going to release this so soon?

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I found iTunes Match to be rather weak. I don't have a big music library, close to 1100 songs, but it found several songs that weren't eligible for the service. I don't know why they weren't eligible since I was under the impression that if iTunes can't match it, it would upload your copy. Also, since I disagree with some of the genres that iTunes assigns some of the music I have, it duplicates it with their version listed under their genre. I am also very picky about album art and while it did upload them and shows it listed when I tap on the album, it doesn't display it when I play a song.

This goes back to my issue with iCloud itself. No way to manage it that I know of. There are songs I bought and don't want anymore and it shows up under iTunes match.

For me, this isn't a service I will be renewing. I may look at it from time to time and see if it addresses a few of my compaints, but until then, I'll stick to offline music.

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Working on the DL now and won't be able to put it on the computer with my library until later this week, but was wondering if it would match your music before paying the $25. I'd hate to pay it and see half my library unmatched.

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
Hackers will love this, stealing legit music for f̶r̶e̶e̶ $25/year

Last edited:

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I am curious if the build number is the same as beta 3. I am pretty sure it is.

10.5.1 (41) was the beta 3 build.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
So can someone tell me....how does the process work?

You sign up for Match and it...well....matches your music. Does it give you a report allowing you to see what's going to happen.....or does it just start downloading/uploading stuff?

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.