Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
So to actually USE iCloud, am I correct in that I can no longer sync my iPhone/iPad to iTunes on my computer? I must make the shift to syncing to iCloud?

Larry.Carillo

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
I just wonder how long it will be in Beta mode, at least they give you 3 months free. I'm getting the message they're not taking new users right now.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Does anyone know if this fixes the issue with iOS 5 not syncing the correct Key Photos for Events?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
iTunes will only download the matched songs to other devices. The initial computer will not redownload the songs it already has.

So does the initial computer you use EVER get new downloads? What about songs that match but are 128 kbps? Do 256 kbps versions get downloaded to the computer that did the match?

-Kevin

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Posted this last night in a different thread, but it might help here too.

Been working with Match for a few weeks and thought I would post a FAQ type response here to what I see people asking over and over again.

1. When you enable Match it goes through a three step process. Analyzing your library, matching songs, uploading non-matched content. It does this for your whole library. You can't choose to exclude songs other than taking them out of your library.

2. If a song is matched, it becomes available to download in 256K AAC. If a song is not matched it is copied in its current format and bit rate up to 320K. If the file is Lossless however, it is converted (presumably by your computer) to a 256k AAC file and then uploaded.

3. Nothing happens to your local music when you run match. If you have a lower quality song that was matched you can remove it from your local library and then replace it with the 256k version. What happens is you delete the song, but the entry in iTunes stays, but a little cloud now shows up in a newly added column that shows you that you have a song that is in the cloud but not in your library. You can click on the cloud and it will download it to your local library, where again it is now permanently yours at the higher bit rate.

4. Match uses your meta-data. If you in an anal-retentive fashion have made lots of custom edits to your files, that is what gets copied to the cloud. Even if you replace your songs with the upgraded versions you keep your previous metal-data.

5. Your limit is 25,000 songs and purchased from iTunes don't count, but matched does. Again if you have personal recordings etc. they won't match (obviously) but will be copied to the cloud in their current format (see above for Lossless exception)

6. Songs below 100k (I couldn't tell if it was below 128K since I don't have any at 100k) are listed as ineligible and nothing happens with them.

7. iTunes runs match on any new material that is added. I.e. when you rip a new album it is matched or copied to the cloud depending on how the match worked. Also, when you change meta-data, it immediately moves that meta-data to the cloud. So, if you correct a name on your iMac, it fixes the name in match. However, if you already had it downloaded on your phone, it would not be changed. But if you delete if from your phone and download it again you would see the new information.

8. iTunes match is not an amnesty program. Because there is no way to prove that matched songs came from a legitimate source, you can't claim you "own" the songs simply because you have a matched version. The RIAA might still prove that your IP address downloaded a file and sue you. Also, since meta-data is preserved if there is a comment like "ripped by mega-thief" it's still going to be there, unless you clean it manually. This does reduce the likelihood that they could prove it was illegally obtained because it had say a specific bit-sum, but it was never a crime to be in possession of files if it couldn't be proven that you up or downloaded it. So, be aware, this does little to protect you from the RIAA.

9. You have reasonable control to get songs off the cloud that you don't want there, but if you keep it in any iTunes library that has match enabled, it will re-upload it when you update the library.

10. I still have a good number of non-obscure albums that end up with 9 out of 10 songs matching. So, when I download to my phone I end up with 9 256K AAC songs and 1 128k MP3. I don't like that.

There are probably more things that people are asking, but hopefully this helps relive some of the FUD about match.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Hackers will love this, stealing legit music for f̶r̶e̶e̶ $25/year

You think “hackers” are going to the effort to torrent/rip music, then pay $25 for iTunes match? To what purpose? They already have the song.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
So does the initial computer you use EVER get new downloads? What about songs that match but are 128 kbps? Do 256 kbps versions get downloaded to the computer that did the match?

-Kevin

During the beta period that has not happened, only new songs purchased or added on a different device get downloaded to the first and main computer.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
So to actually USE iCloud, am I correct in that I can no longer sync my iPhone/iPad to iTunes on my computer? I must make the shift to syncing to iCloud?

Correct. Enabling Match on an iDevice deletes any music currently on the device. You then have to download any music you want from the cloud.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
as someone asked before. is it possible to activate the service with an us itunes card?

Moomba

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Charlotte, NC

Syncing with iCloud vs a local system is a separate option from iTunes Match. (Match is located under Settings> Music> iTunes Match) You can sync locally and use iTunes Match, but you cannot manage the music to sync from iTunes. It will all be done from your iDevice. This sounds annoying, but it's really not that bad. I've got over 9000 tracks and assuming you have things tagged correctly it's a pretty handy/simple process.

It's only annoying if you use it on multiple devices and watch to mirror certain songs. If this is the case, then I suggest you create a playlist of those tracks and you can have the devices download those playlists.

fgarvin

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
I have about 5,000 songs in my iTunes. To be honest I know most (95%+) are songs I either ripped from my old cd's, purchased off Amazon or purchased from iTunes. I also know I ripped a few friends cd's years ago. I have no idea which ones now. Wrong, Yes... How to fix.. I don't know that either. The last thing I want is for them to check my files and then send me an email stating that I have 7 cd's I didn't buy and I am going to jail.. :) I am thinking about staying away from it. Better safe than sorry. Also, Audio Galaxy works great for me now.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
4. Match uses your meta-data. If you in an anal-retentive fashion have made lots of custom edits to your files, that is what gets copied to the cloud. Even if you replace your songs with the upgraded versions you keep your previous metal-data.

Is there anyway to use the iTunes metadata? Part of the appeal of this, for me, was normalizing my tagging and album art, etc. I don't care enough to do it manually, but it would certainly push me towards paying for the service.

ClemTiger0408

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Posted this last night in a different thread, but it might help here too.

Been working with Match for a few weeks and thought I would post a FAQ type response here to what I see people asking over and over again.

3. Nothing happens to your local music when you run match. If you have a lower quality song that was matched you can remove it from your local library and then replace it with the 256k version. What happens is you delete the song, but the entry in iTunes stays, but a little cloud now shows up in a newly added column that shows you that you have a song that is in the cloud but not in your library. You can click on the cloud and it will download it to your local library, where again it is now permanently yours at the higher bit rate.

This was great. Thanks for the write up.

Is there any way to tell if there would be a higher quality version available in the local library? If I can delete music and then download from the Cloud as a higher quality, is there any way of knowing ahead of time? Or would I basically have to start arbitrarily delete music and hope there's a better version?

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Correct. Enabling Match on an iDevice deletes any music currently on the device. You then have to download any music you want from the cloud.

This can't be true. That would be insane to have to download songs that you can much more easily sync from your computer.

Tony

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
While it was in beta I was able to pay for it with my $100 iTunes gift card, it should still be the same now.

I have more than $25 in my account balance but when I click subscribe it says a valid credit card must be on file.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Regarding using a gift card for iTunes Match:

Because iTunes Match is a subscription service, Apple requires that you have a valid credit card on file for the auto-renewal. However, if you have an iTunes Gift Card balance on file at the time you subscribe (or presumably when you renew as well), it will charge the $25 against those gift cards first. So, you can't purchase without a credit card (sorry to anyone who doesn't have one), but your gift cards are used if there is a balance available.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.