Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

siri_icon.jpg

Applidium, the developers who brought the open source video player VLC to the App Store only to have it pulled over licensing issues, have announced that they have reverse engineered the protocol used to allow Siri to communicate with Apple's servers. Citing an example in which they were able to communicate with Siri servers directly from a computer, the developers note that they were able to have the servers recognize and analyze their voice input just as if it had originated from an iPhone 4S.
Today, we managed to crack open Siri's protocol. As a result, we are able to use Siri's recognition engine from any device. Yes, that means anyone could now write an Android app that uses the real Siri! Or use Siri on an iPad! And we're going to share this know-how with you.
Unfortunately for those hoping to make use of Siri in their apps on iOS or other platforms, the protocol is set up to transmit a unique identifier for a given iPhone 4S. The developers at Applidium were able to extract that identifier from one of their devices and use it to authenticate their non-iPhone Siri input, but such code would likely not survive being included in an application packaged for distribution, as Apple's servers would presumably be able to easily identify and blacklist any device identifier generating excessive usage from multiple locations.

The developers do note, however, that the proof of concept demonstration may prove interesting for developers looking to play around with non-iPhone 4S implementations of Siri for their personal use.

Article Link: Siri Protocol Cracked, But Unique iPhone 4S ID Requirement Hampers Distribution

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
If you are a developer, you should get an iPhone 4S. It is the proper Siri use-case and the one used by masses, so why bother going around it for a product that normal users won't have?

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Wow. The iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch 4 definitely should have gotten Siri. Apple just wants money and thats why they are just having it for the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch 4G both have A4 which in my opinion is great for Siri.

androidfan

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
I wouldn't want siri on my android phone, compared to my google voice apps it is hindered and not as sophisticated. Apple should just make siri open and allow devs to work with it. But then again apple wants to keep everything in a walled garden. *sigh* what a joke....

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Is anyone shocked that Apple validates the device to ensure it's "allowed" to use Siri services?

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Anyway, why an Android user would want to get their hands on Siri is beyond me. I've heard a few of them say their phones have been doing advanced voice recognition for years!

Last edited by a moderator:

androidfan

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Wow. The iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch 4 definitely should have gotten Siri. Apple just wants money and thats why they are just having it for the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch 4G both have A4 which in my opinion is great for Siri.

The only thing iPhone 4s has that the 4 didn't is siri... of course apple is lame and won't let anyone else have siri they want you to just keep paying the apple tax on a two year old product that is slower, smaller, cheaper, and more fragile then the competition.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
What I actually find most interesting is the http user agent: It identifies itself as "Assistent".

This may confirm some of the iPhone 5 rumors, as the source said the prototype had Siri, but it was called Assistent.

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
I wouldn't want siri on my android phone, compared to my google voice apps it is hindered and not as sophisticated. Apple should just make siri open and allow devs to work with it. But then again apple wants to keep everything in a walled garden. *sigh* what a joke....

obviously you have not used siri.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Siri is Apple's property, and they would rightfully prevent others from using it on devices other than what Apple intends.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

I said this before and will say it again, I believe the reason they didn't has more to do with load on the severs then anything else.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
So a family may only need one iPhone 4S (so they have a device ID) to have them all take advantage of some Siri features. Pretty cool.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
The only thing iPhone 4s has that the 4 didn't is siri... of course apple is lame and won't let anyone else have siri they want you to just keep paying the apple tax on a two year old product that is slower, smaller, cheaper, and more fragile then the competition.

Do you seriously have nothing better to do with your time than pointlessly troll with paper thin arguments that only serve to elicit impassioned responses? Get a job.

Last edited:

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
ya i tested it out in an AT&T store, didn't work as well as the google version it couldn't connect to the server, then it kept lagging and doing the wrong thing.

So you used it once in a store. I can tell you for fact Siri beats google voice commands....

webman2k

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004

Wow - what a brilliant observation, that Apple wants money. That greedy "for profit" business.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
no they just want to force people to pay the apple tax for a mediocre upgrade...

No once forces anyone to upgrade, and most people with a 4 are under contract and can't upgrade until the 5 comes out anyways...

And there is nothing mediocre about the 4S upgrade...

androidfan

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Do you seriously have nothing better to do with your time than pointlessly troll with paper thin arguments that only serve to illicit impassioned responses? Get a job.

I like to school the apple sheep on why their products are illogical, overpriced, and over hyped compared to the competitors.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006

Troll.

Google voice commands are not a one stop shop like Siri. In many cases, you have to go to different apps and use the voice control within that app. It's not as system wide or as friendly for sure.

Google's voice controls also are not interactive. There are tons of side by side comparison videos on the tech sites showing the major differences. Google isn't in the same ball park.... don't mean this won't put fire under their ass to clean up their mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.