Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first thing many iTunes Match users will want to do upon purchasing the service is to upgrade all their matched music to the 256Kbps. Unfortunately, there is no push-button ability to do this, but it is possible with a few simple steps -- but make sure you've already turned iTunes Match on and it has finished running its initial match.

From Macworld:
Make a Smart Playlist Create a Smart Playlist with the following attributes:

- Bit Rate is less than 256kbps
- Media Kind is Music
- Any of the following are true: (to create this conditional, option-click on the plus button in the Smart Playlist window) iCloud status is Matched, iCloud status is Purchased.

smartplay3-262656-500x235.jpg

This creates a list of all your low-bit-rate files that are upgradeable--namely, ones iTunes Match has deemed Matched or Purchased.
Once the smart playlist is created, select all the files by pressing Command-A or going to the Edit Menu and choosing "Select All." Then, press Option-Delete to remove all the songs from iTunes -- however, make sure not to select the box that removes the songs from iCloud. We only want to remove the local, lower quality sound files. When iTunes asks, select to move the files to the trash.

Finally, make sure that all the songs remain selected and right- or control-click any song and choose Download. This will start the long (depending on how many songs there are, possibly very long) downloading process. iTunes only downloads 3 items at one time, but Apple's iTunes servers are generally very responsive.

Article Link: Quickly Upgrade All iTunes Matched Songs to 256Kbps

macintoshdaddy

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Just make sure you don't delete anything less than 96 kbps! They don't go to iCloud and will be lost forever!

jambon

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Does anyone know what happens to the songs if you cancel Match? With the originals deleted, are you able to download the songs to your computer one last time?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Does anyone know what happens to the songs if you cancel Match? With the originals deleted, are you able to download the songs to your computer one last time?

dude you should search and read, this has been covered.....relentlessly

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I don't believe that those songs are "matched" and they should not be in the smart playlist to begin with.

GL

And yet I had a song stuck on "Waiting" that showed up in the smart playlist. No clue why.

I hope that Apple will allow us to try to match the unmatched songs in our libraries again as the matching algorithm improves. As it is I've got a number of albums which partially matched depute having been ripped from CD together.

I have many playlists in iTunes. Surely this method will remove them from the tracks playlist :eek::confused:

No, the tracks should stay on all your playlists with cloud download links which will go away once you've re-downloaded everything. At least that's what happened on mine.

Essjay

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I created the playlist but when I try to option delete, I just have iTunes makes the dialog error sound but no dialog box pops up. Also when I go into Edit -> Delete, the option is greyed out. Any ideas?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Actually, a much better method of doing this is making a new smart playlist with these settings:

• iCloud Status is Matched
  • Kind is not Matched AAC Audio File

This will make a playlist of only the songs iTunes Match was able to Match, and not just the low bitrate songs that it was potentially unable to match. It will also not show the songs you've redownloaded from iTunes Match already and only the ones you already have on your computer that have not been matched.

edit: I didn't see that it already had these settings after it chose music and low bitrate in the original post. Still, this is how I've been doing it, and it works great.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

So how do I replace the files on my iPhone then? Just resync with iTunes after upgrading all my songs on my PC?

kdimitt

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
dude you should search and read, this has been covered.....relentlessly

I was wondering the same thing he was. I have done some searching and haven't come up with anything. I'm obviously not a stalker, I mean super searcher like yourself. Could you kindly redirect me to what I need to know?

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore

This is so rad, I am sold

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Good post, thanks. I've got 2400 songs that are now upgrading!

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

So how do I replace the files on my iPhone then? Just resync with iTunes after upgrading all my songs on my PC?
Yup, just sync your phone and you'll be fine.

Personally, I've got iTunes match turned off on my iPhone. I prefer to carry my entire library at all times, even if they are smaller files.

EgbertAttrick

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Heh. Funny that I'm reading this article as I am making a Smart Playlist with songs under 96kbps to re-rip/re-download...

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Wow, this is awesome! Thanks MR and Macworld. I had over 4400 songs that it needs to redownload...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 2.38.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 2.38.20 PM.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 7,237

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I was thinking...couldn't you also do the reverse if you wanted to save space on your hard drive?
Instead of less than 256Kbps you do GREATER than 256Kbps and get the 256Kbps version instead of the existing higher bitrate song?

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Very cool. I was thinking about doing this very thing. I was only going to search for Matched songs. I didn't think that I probably have purchased songs less than 256 kbps.

I kinda feel like I should wait a week or two to do this. Give Apple's servers a chance to breath. :)

gmillertime

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Press the option (aka alt) key before you click on the Edit menu, then the Delete option should be available.

I am running iTunes on Win 7 on a MBP Running Bootcamp/Lion. The Delete option is greyed out still, even when pressing the Alt Key first. Any ideas?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is RISKY!!! iTunes Match might match a different version of the song you have, particularly in dance music where there might be different mixes of the same song.

You should NOT DO THIS unless you have a FULL backup of your library you can go back to if you suddenly find you have the wrong version of a song you like!

When in doubt, backup. Then make a backup of your backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.