Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

German site mobiFlip.de reports (via FOSS Patents) that Samsung has apparently relaunched the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany, tweaking the design and releasing it under a new Galaxy Tab 10.1N name in an attempt to skirt around the injunction against selling the original design.

galaxy_tab_10_1_n_comparison.jpg

New Galaxy Tab 10.1N (top) vs. Galaxy Tab 10.1 (bottom)
The most obvious difference from the front of the device is that the metal frame around the edges of the device now wraps around slightly toward the front along two of the edges. It is unclear what, if any, other changes Samsung made to the device to address the court's view that Samsung had copied the iPad with its initial design.

As FOSS Patents notes, it is also unclear exactly how Samsung arrived at the slightly-tweaked design, although it likely was a result of consultation between designers and the company's lawyers well-versed in the court's findings and likelihood of accepting the design as different enough from the iPad to pass muster.

Article Link: Samsung Tweaks Galaxy Tab 10.1 Design for Relaunch in Germany

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
The older design does somewhat resemble the boarder of the iPad 1. So I can see where it could be a patent infringement... I dunno what patent exactly, though.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Tough situation for Samsung.

There's only so many ways you can make a piece of glass look different.

Formul

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Czech Republic
There is NO samsung logo on current version (only on several PR shots), this practice goes as back as last year's failed Tab 7. Also it is quite funny that samsung alters products based on lost/potential lawsuits - but only for the markets where the lawsuits are/would be, just like SGS2 in US.

macfanboi87

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
When I first saw the two images I thought the old version was the new version. I assumed that most companies made stuff look better not worse lol.

macfanboi87

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
Regardless of why they did a redesign, I really do like the new look much more.

It makes the device look bulkier without any increase in screen size. Design terms today are minimalistic stuff. That is why everyone copies Apple design because they get it just right.

macfanboi87

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
Wrong, the injunction in Germany is about a Community Design, not patents. And even the community design is not about the iPad

You are right and he is wrong? Perhaps you should attach a pdf of your resume to your post to back it up.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
There is NO samsung logo on current version (only on several PR shots), this practice goes as back as last year's failed Tab 7. Also it is quite funny that samsung alters products based on lost/potential lawsuits - but only for the markets where the lawsuits are/would be, just like SGS2 in US.

It's typical of their attitude in general. It's as if IP is an entirely novel concept for them. They spend time being completely nonchalant about it, then when the heat's coming down, throw out assurances that "from now on" they'll play nice, meanwhile they've already made god knows how much money off the infringing product(s).

Anyway, the new design looks worse now. Samsung's gotten themselves into quite a tangle.

macfanboi87

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
It's typical of their attitude in general. It's as if IP is an entirely novel concept for them. They spend time being completely nonchalant about it, then when the heat's coming down, throw out assurances that "from now on" they'll play nice, meanwhile they've already made god knows how much money off the infringing product(s).

Anyway, the new design looks worse now. Samsung's gotten themselves into quite a tangle.

It makes me wonder how Samsung will survive in years to come now that the laws are being used. Something tells me in 5 years time their TVs will still look the same and the sales will be dropping exponentially. Especially when the rumoured iTV releases. I bet that will drop jaws.

macfanboi87

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
You can blame Apple for that. Apparently, sleek and good looking designs aren't just Apple's hallmark, its their trademarked patent too.

If there was only one way to make a good looking design then there would only be one good painting in the world.

All it takes is to look outside the box

----------

It's common knowledge.

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/08/preliminary-injunction-granted-by.html

Top result for "galaxy tab community design" in Google. Why a resume would be needed to point out Consultants inaccuracy is above me. Care to explain?

I thought it was obvious. Credentials bro

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
You are right and he is wrong? Perhaps you should attach a pdf of your resume to your post to back it up.

Why I have to post a resumee? To know that injunction in Germany is about a community design and not for patents is only necessary to read a little.

I don't like Florian Mueller, but in this post he only translates the court decission:

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/09/translation-of-dusseldorf-regional.html

----------

And why didn't asked credentials to Consultant?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Does Consultant not get to play this resume uploading game or is that specific MacRumors member the definitive source of all things community design and patents?

Credentials for pointing out someone's simple mistake on a forum.... I am amazed at this place sometimes.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
It makes me wonder how Samsung will survive in years to come now that the laws are being used. Something tells me in 5 years time their TVs will still look the same and the sales will be dropping exponentially. Especially when the rumoured iTV releases. I bet that will drop jaws.

Unless they use S-PVA or Plasma I could are less. IPS may be good for computers and phones but it sucks for TV's. The contrast ratio on them is attrocious and while theres no gamma shift from the side the max brightness and contrast ratio decreases drastically when viewed from the side much more so than S-PVA panel which looses very little brightness and has no off angle glow.

On the topic of the design, samsung had used that bezel pattern years before Apple had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.