Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:38 PM   #26
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtimes View Post
Its just as easy to take a photo as it is to hold down the home button. Am I missing something here?
Maybe for a remote trigger, set the phone up for a photo, get people organized, "Siri, take picture", *click*. "Siri, zoom to 5 times and take picture" *click*

Also, if it could be used in a series of events like a macro, "Siri take picture and send to wife with message "Check out this sunset".
D.T. is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:38 PM   #27
wolfshades
macrumors Demi-God

Interestingly, even here in Canada, there is some limited location-aware stuff you can do, as Siri "learns" your location from repeated commands. I.E. "Siri, what is the weather report for Toronto Canada" eventually becomes "Siri what's the weather report?"

Still, it'll be nice to see full location-awareness. It's not a big deal to wait though - good technology takes time, and Apple is willing to do that in order to get it right (um, recent battery woes notwithstanding).
wolfshades is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:39 PM   #28
devnu11
macrumors newbie

Haptic Feedback & Siri Mute

First and foremost I wish for haptic feedback. Second I would like Siri to be able to turn on and off mute for the phone instead of that damn small switch on the side of the phone which is a you know what to reach with a case on the phone. *crosses fingers*
devnu11 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:42 PM   #29
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

i just want a jailbreak!! (untethered)
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:42 PM   #30
Autonuke
macrumors newbie

If I were head of customer relations at Apple I would give out a free Gum Pro to anyone who is having this issue (assuming they want to keep their phone) to get them by until a fix is available. I hope 5.0.2 lets me turn off 3G
Autonuke is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:42 PM   #31
rockametrics
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
This.

Who wants to tell their phone to turn Wifi/Bluetooth/Airplane Mode/etc. to turn on/off???

Just please give me some buttons down in the multi-tasking tray or the Notifications shade.

Sincerely,
T
Me!!! That would be sweet! I miss SBS settings
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:42 PM   #32
T-Will
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post
Thank you for not being a designer at Apple.
Although it does beg the question of how (if Siri is dependent on network connection) one would turn wifi back ON once its off.
Seems that that indicates that they might be putting a bit more local logic into Siri?
Add an additional page to the left of the music controls/volume slider in the multi-tasking tray. Was that so hard?

Add an option to display the toggles in the Notifications shade (see it would be an option just like the other widgets).

It's fine that they add the functionality to Siri, but please also add the functionality to iPhones that don't have Siri.

Sincerely,
Non-Apple Designer, T
T-Will is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:44 PM   #33
Almy
macrumors 6502

I would enjoy having hardware toggles on the multi task tray, maybe a couple swipes to the left or so. But if not it would at least be nice to be able to do it with Siri.
Almy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:44 PM   #34
mattburley7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltzem View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

I hope that's not all in 5.1. It wouldn't give non-4S users any reason to update.
im pretty sure 5.1 will have other things besides new siri features. it probably will be out around the same time as the iPad 3 and that will have new features. there will probably be a ton of bug fixes too for iOS... hopefully the music app will be better!
mattburley7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:44 PM   #35
T-Will
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnu11 View Post
First and foremost I wish for haptic feedback. Second I would like Siri to be able to turn on and off mute for the phone instead of that damn small switch on the side of the phone which is a you know what to reach with a case on the phone. *crosses fingers*
Really? You're going to mute your phone by SPEAKING to it and having it reply out loud "I will now mute your iPhone, devnu11."

Sincerely,
Wannabe Apple Designer, T
T-Will is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:45 PM   #36
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

How about start by turning off the infrared sensor when raise to speak is off. It's constantly running, wasting battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqcwVGW_-n0
Rocko1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:55 PM   #37
xxBURT0Nxx
Banned

isn't siri mostly server-side?

Doesn't seem like they would need an iOS update to add functionality to siri, they should be able to do it on their end.
xxBURT0Nxx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:59 PM   #38
sparks9
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Maybe for a remote trigger, set the phone up for a photo, get people organized, "Siri, take picture", *click*. "Siri, zoom to 5 times and take picture" *click*

Also, if it could be used in a series of events like a macro, "Siri take picture and send to wife with message "Check out this sunset".
Then you'd have to shout at Siri. Does Siri understand shouting at distances of several meters?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:02 PM   #39
vaugha
macrumors regular

Good to know. Looking forward to those toggle siri commands.
vaugha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:03 PM   #40
force4ever
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
How about start by turning off the infrared sensor when raise to speak is off. It's constantly running, wasting battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqcwVGW_-n0
It's still quirky after 5.0.1.

If you toggle OFF 'Raise to Speak', it'll keep the sensor ON until the phone is power cycled.
force4ever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:09 PM   #41
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by force4ever View Post
It's still quirky after 5.0.1.

If you toggle OFF 'Raise to Speak', it'll keep the sensor ON until the phone is power cycled.
I have not been able to get the sensor to stop firing while the screen is on no matter what I have Siri set too. Siri Off, Siri On Raise to Speak OFF. Needs to be fixed. Constant monitoring isn't helping the usage battery drain.
Rocko1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:09 PM   #42
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks9 View Post
Then you'd have to shout at Siri. Does Siri understand shouting at distances of several meters?
I don't know, but now the whole concept is cracking me up

"Siri ... take the... SIRI!! ... Are you listening?? HEY!!!"
D.T. is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:11 PM   #43
Wickedgardengtp
macrumors member

I hope the the long anticipated wait for the update to fix an increase of 2% battery life is worth it. 2 more min of Angry Birds should make everyone happier!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:12 PM   #44
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

How effing lazy does a person have to be to ask Siri to take a picture for them? You have to be holding the phone to activate Siri and line up the shot - just press the camera button.
rwilliams is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:13 PM   #45
cire
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post
Thank you for not being a designer at Apple.
Although it does beg the question of how (if Siri is dependent on network connection) one would turn wifi back ON once its off.
Seems that that indicates that they might be putting a bit more local logic into Siri?
Actually, my first thought was that this probably meant this rumor was more wishful thinking. And please Apple, don't pollute the interface with buttons galore... This is so Windows thinking.
cire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:14 PM   #46
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilliams View Post
How effing lazy does a person have to be to ask Siri to take a picture for them? You have to be holding the phone to activate Siri and line up the shot - just press the camera button.
It's not just the act of taking the photo, it's uploading it to Facebook, etc.

----------

There is also a bug where the speaker phone is left on for a while after Siri is used-this makes for very loud screen off sound.
Rocko1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:17 PM   #47
fatlardo
macrumors 6502

OMG, can't wait for this update. I can barely get from 7am to 7pm with less than 20% battery. Horrible for me.
fatlardo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:23 PM   #48
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiuh151 View Post
Hopefully "lower/raise my brightness/volume" is added as well.
Siri responds: "By how much, dumbass?"
NutsNGum is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:24 PM   #49
kiwiboi87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburley7 View Post
im pretty sure 5.1 will have other things besides new siri features. it probably will be out around the same time as the iPad 3 and that will have new features. there will probably be a ton of bug fixes too for iOS... hopefully the music app will be better!
my music app has been messed up since iOS5, and I'm on a iPhone4.
would be nice to maybe see siri come to the iphone4 (not likely)

i must admit, I'm still having battery issues, after 5.0.1
so will be nice to see it fixed,
kiwiboi87 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:25 PM   #50
yodaxl7
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Group pic with u in it

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion