Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
No Developers have seen 5.0.2 so I am not sure it will be out next week.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Close all apps button!

Okay, the first 5.0 update? Okay, Apple so use this chance to give us a "CLOSE ALL APPS" button!!! It would save so much time and prove mightily useful!

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
What 5.1 really needs is refinement for Notification Center. An icon in the taskbar to notify you of existing notifications would be a great start.

TheAppleFamily

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
North California
Hopefully "lower/raise my brightness/volume" is added as well.

????????....are you really serious?

That functionality has been around for ages......!!!:confused:

Settings......Brightness and Wallpaper....on the IPad...

...and...

Settings...Brightness......on the IPhone....

:mad:

----------

What 5.1 really needs is refinement for Notification Center. An icon in the taskbar to notify you of existing notifications would be a great start.

.....that would add "Windows" clutter to an Apple device!

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Siri, turn off wifi when i leave the house, turn it on when i return.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
isn't siri mostly server-side?

Doesn't seem like they would need an iOS update to add functionality to siri, they should be able to do it on their end.

perhaps these system based commands won't need to connect to Apple's servers?

i think that's pretty cool though

"allow me to adjust my brightness" - brightness control appears
"turn on/off bluetooth"
"turn on/off wifi"
"turn on/off tethering"
"turn on/off airplane mode"

TheAppleFamily

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
North California
Impossible!

Hope this is true. 5.0.1 definitely made my battery worse...I would love to see an improvement.

Also, Siri to toggle wifi and bluetooth would be fantastic.

You must be doing something else to your system that is draining your battery....5.0.1 did fix the "standard" drainage problem......according to general consensus!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Just seems if they were going to release either of these, as early as next week, that it would be pushed to devs already. Nothing concrete concerning 5.0.2 or 5.1 has shown up yet.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Its just as easy to take a photo as it is to hold down the home button. Am I missing something here?

My thought is that you could have Siri ready to receive a command then at just the right moment you would use voice to take the photo. This way you could use both hands to steady the iPhone or you could hold an object in one hand and the phone in the other. Presumably there would be a way to preview the photo while using Siri.

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
I haven't even updated to 5.0.1 yet, I was getting pretty bad battery but not terrible like some people. Out of nowhere in the past two days my battery has been dying close to 10% an hour on standby. This is ridiculous, and I can't fathom why this problem has just started out of nowhere if I haven't been doing anything different. To me that would seem to suggest some hardware issue?

Now I'm getting annoyed. The no audio on outgoing calls problem intermittently, and now this terrible battery.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
As some others have mentioned, a really nice addition would be if Siri could act on some simple commands without accessing the server or needing an internet connection.

brygruver

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
I haven't even updated to 5.0.1 yet, I was getting pretty bad battery but not terrible like some people. Out of nowhere in the past two days my battery has been dying close to 10% an hour on standby. This is ridiculous, and I can't fathom why this problem has just started out of nowhere if I haven't been doing anything different. To me that would seem to suggest some hardware issue?

Now I'm getting annoyed. The no audio on outgoing calls problem intermittently, and now this terrible battery.

Shouldn't you be updating to the latest version of iOS instead of complaining about your problems first? It's over the air now, what's your excuse? Afraid you won't have something to complain about? lol

xorjo

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Everyone saying that telling siri to turn off/on bluetooth, wifi, and so forth is a good thing have to get off Apple's nuts. Seriously, that is rediculous. It comes to the point when something that sounds "cool", is really just inconvenient. This has been said countless times, why not just add toggles to the notifacation bar? I mean, sbs settings is the #1 (or #2) feature downloaded from a jb ios device... doesn't that say something here? If you want to give siri that option, thats fine but also add the option to turn off obvious settings from the notication center so you won't shaft non-iphone 4s owners.

Machead2012

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Apple is really going to shoot itself in the foot and loose all cred if they keep releasing products clearly not ready for the public. Too many beta's and bad builds. The public will not tolerate this kind of bs if they keep doing this. We work hard for our money and the iPhone 4g was a slap in the face to the consumer with its inferior death grip. It was on many trades do not buy list and now this laughable ios5.1 build which is making iPhone 4s battery issues worse and making iPads crash? People are protesting all over the world due to corporate greed and Apple is right up there with the greediest. Android is no joke and will win a big victory if Apple keeps playing games with its customers.
Siri is a beta and should NOT be in the publics hands yet.
Just my 2 cent rant. Truthfully yours

Last edited:

mrmicp

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
Hope this update brings location awarness to siri in the UK...that would be awesome!

The number of times I have asked Siri for places near by to dump a body, only to be told that feature is only available in the US :p

ZomZom

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
Siri, turn off wifi when i leave the house, turn it on when i return.

Bingo. For security reasons I can't have WiFi or Bluetooth on at work. Using Siri with geofencing to toggle these every day would relieve me of two (admittedly minor) annoyances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.