Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Good Move

Too diversified means jack of all trades and master of none. And apple built its reputation on being a "master".

If they are to survive prudent decisions must be made like this one to "keep the focus".

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I guess those of us that bought it in a few years can be proud; the only iOS game ever produced by Apple. Surely a collectors item?

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Page 2 anyone?
...or at least on the iOS Blog tab.
:rolleyes:

Not to be a d**k, but I cannot help but snicker at folks who were hoping for an iPad update to a FIVE DOLLAR(!?!) poker game Apple hasn't touched SINCE 2008. Hey now, hey now, don't dream it's over... :p

RIP :apple: Texas Hold 'Em
2006-2011​

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I just ena apple support, requesting reimbursement for the $4.99 I spent on this app. Will post once I receive a response.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The game looks dated like a CD-ROM game from 1996. I'm sure it didn't live up to Apple's standards anymore when compared to what else was available. Most of the reviews in the past year were bad anyways and complaining about how it hasn't been updated.

Bingo. Given that there are plenty of folks making games of all kinds and up to date ones with more reasonable prices, why should Apple waste even one person's time on this title when they can pull it (since they have basically forgotten about it anyway) and have that person working on iOS or their functional apps or some new feature/app etc

----------

Still the only Texas Hold'em game I play. Hope they don't yank them from the devices for any reason since they have that ability and it is one of their programs.

Have they ever yanked an app from any devices before. Nope. That rip off of Super Mario they cut for IP complaints, still on our devices. VLC, still on our devices etc.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Eh, Texas Hold'em was a sign of Apple "getting serious about gaming"??

The game looks dated like a CD-ROM game from 1996. I'm sure it didn't live up to Apple's standards anymore when compared to what else was available. Most of the reviews in the past year were bad anyways and complaining about how it hasn't been updated.

Or those games that came bundled with Windows

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

That is some developers opinion and could be erroneous. Apple just isn't designing their devices/software optimized for what games and game creators think is THE way to design them (4000dpi screens, 3.0 quad core processors, 20 GB of ram etc) but rather for the common user. Same game they do with their prosumer software and common man computers. Which also peeves the gamers because they think Apple should focus on what they want not what their grannies would need

Jefe

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2002
Love this game, still play regularly and only recently won the big tournament.

I was a little disappointed at how little fanfare came with winning the biggest purse.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I just ena apple support, requesting reimbursement for the $4.99 I spent on this app. Will post once I receive a response.

You likely won't get a refund. Especially if you bought it back when it first released.

The TC says all sales are final. It also says that apps could be removed from the store for a number of reasons including the developer wants it removed. It doesn't stop working if it is removed from the store after all. Also the version of iOS it was made for is rather clear from the last update date, the requirements etc so it is isn't working so awesome you should have been able to guess that could happen from the last update being 3 years ago.

Basically you have zero grounds to demand a refund, you won't likely get one and they will probably politely say no and suggest you read the TC you agreed to when you created your account and many times since then. Yeah yeah you didn't bother reading it any of those times. You still agreed to follow them.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I think Apple should make a free version of Breakout available as a tribute to Jobs and Woz like they had it as an easter egg on the iPod. Maybe make it an easter egg in the Game Center app or something.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
That's a two-year old quote from Carmack. I tend to doubt that is still the prevailing opinion of Apple execs, if it even were truly the prevailing opinion at the time.

He had zero proof it was the opinion even back then. He just 'believed' it was based on his not getting the responses he thought he should.

Jon Black

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
UYfQr.png

Damn. I play this all the time and was hoping for an update soon. It's hasnt worked properly for a while now. Winning a table and taking 12BB to the final is no good to anyone.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK

That's an outdated article from 2009.

I'm fairly certain that the executives mentioned in the article have changed their mind since then - especially when considering that less than a year later (in September 2010), Game Center was introduced. Also Apple makes a point of claiming iOS to be the most popular mobile gaming platform.

Both hardly say "they're not proud of the iPhone being a game machine" any more. Quite the opposite.

I'd imagine the app was pulled because there's simply no need for Apple to continue to develop their own games for the platform, when there are so many third party developers on the App Store already dedicated to doing so.

Last edited:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It's a shame it won't be updated, it was pretty good. But if they're not going to do so it's not surprising that it was pulled. It's hardly the example that Apple wants to be sending to developers that not supporting a host of the new APIs and features that have been introduced since iOS2 launched was a good thing. It didn't even have a retina icon.

Phazer

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
You likely won't get a refund. Especially if you bought it back when it first released.

The TC says all sales are final. It also says that apps could be removed from the store for a number of reasons including the developer wants it removed. It doesn't stop working if it is removed from the store after all. Also the version of iOS it was made for is rather clear from the last update date, the requirements etc so it is isn't working so awesome you should have been able to guess that could happen from the last update being 3 years ago.

Basically you have zero grounds to demand a refund, you won't likely get one and they will probably politely say no and suggest you read the TC you agreed to when you created your account and many times since then. Yeah yeah you didn't bother reading it any of those times. You still agreed to follow them.

*Requested a refund. I demanded nothing. Also, this is not my first time dealing with Apple's customer service. I bet you I'll get a refund. Either way I'll post their reply, should be less than 48 hours.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
I remember, that there was also a Tetris game I bought for my iPod touch when it was released, I think it was also made by Apple, it was great, but I can't find it now.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area

I knew it reminded me of something! :p Kinda like those Phillips CD-ROM video games I played at my uncle's house. Had to play with a remote control :rolleyes:

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Bingo. Given that there are plenty of folks making games of all kinds and up to date ones with more reasonable prices, why should Apple waste even one person's time on this title when they can pull it (since they have basically forgotten about it anyway) and have that person working on iOS or their functional apps or some new feature/app etc

----------

Have they ever yanked an app from any devices before. Nope. That rip off of Super Mario they cut for IP complaints, still on our devices. VLC, still on our devices etc.

They'd best not! For one I paid them for it, two they haven't yanked VLC from me, four I'm still holding my breath for a retina icon :rolleyes: and FIVE: I'd never get to play against

Bubba (his actual first name) the redneck
http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/attach/jpg.gif

Old Timey Train Robber

And my favourite- Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter's sister!)

Attachments

• bubba.jpg
    bubba.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 119
  • oldtimeyrobber.jpg
    oldtimeyrobber.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 108
  • jennifercarpenter.jpg
    jennifercarpenter.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 143
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.