Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

RazorianFly points to a Tweet from developer John Heaton revealing strings within the iOS code making reference to iChat-related services such as Jabber and AIM that are not currently supported directly by Apple on iOS.

imservice_ios.jpg

Speculation has naturally turned to the possibility that Apple is working on an application to integrate full iChat capabilities into iOS, although that may be something of a stretch. Rather, it seems more likely that the code is part of a general IMService framework to support all of Apple's messaging protocols regardless of whether support for the actual services is included on a given platform.

Apple currently supports a variety of messaging and video communication services on its Mac OS X and iOS platforms, using a somewhat complex array of applications. On iOS, Apple's new iMessage service is handled through the Messages app that also handles SMS and MMS on the iPhone, while FaceTime is handled through the Phone app itself on the iPhone and a standalone app on the iPod touch and iPad 2.

On Mac OS X, iChat handles basic messaging services such as AIM and Jabber, as well as audio and video chat capabilities of those services, while FaceTime is supported in the form of a separate application. iMessage is not yet supported on Mac OS X, although code strings and rumors have suggested that the feature will be coming to the Mac.

Article Link: Code Strings Hint at Possible iChat Services for iOS

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Could they fragment it a bit more please. I have to use skype from my iPad to video chat with anyone not running 10.6.8 or later because FaceTime isn't supported on older stuff. I use iChat Mac to Mac. But FaceTime phone to phone. Nothing integrates through our tv yet which seems the most logical. Build a webcam into the Apple TV2 and put iFaceChatTime on that. It is a bit ridiculous that in Apple's general effort to simplify things, they have made this so fragmented.

----------

iChat is sore-fully missing iMessage chat. Just as iWork really needs the iCloud integrated.

Lets hope both become reality.

Agreed. The fact that iWork on an iPhone or iPad seamlessly update through docs on the go but you must download and upload files to icloud for iWork on a Mac just seems contradictory to the whole point of iCloud docs on the go.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I wish they would simply merge iChat and iMessage and be done with it.

I find I use Yahoo Messenger and MSN still, mainly because I can seamlessly move from iOS to computer without issue. I hate having to respond on my iPhone when I am working at my desk where it would be much easier.

Michael

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
iChat and iMessage team should work together to create the universal universal app that works on both Mac an iOS.

blyan

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Tacoma, WA
Would I be a bad Apple fan if I said I'd much rather see full/native support for Google Talk/Google Plus (and Hangouts)?

... and Google Docs, while they're at it.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell

I find I use Yahoo Messenger and MSN still, mainly because I can seamlessly move from iOS to computer without issue. I hate having to respond on my iPhone when I am working at my desk where it would be much easier.

Michael

Well, thats what they are trying to do. :rolleyes:

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
Apple should merge ichat, iMessage, and FaceTime in one grand social networking app. My guess is iOS 6

I don't get why they fragmented the things to begin with. FaceTime is unintuitive, ichat is out of date, and iMessage is, well, it's good but it's limited. They really all accomplish the same thing, so they should all new rolled together.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
when facetime, iChat and iMessage are one, i'll be more inclined to use my iPad (that i'll soon be buying) than my MBP.

i hate using 3rd party applications (IM+, beejive, etc for instant messaging so i don't instant message at all on my iOS device)

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA

l

Being stuck with iMessage only on my mobile devices bothers me, too. Being able to get Jabber and Facebook messages, for instance, on any device makes them a lot more flexible.

While they're at it, jam Facetime into the singular messaging app and use the same branding across the mobile and desktop space.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I still use iChat occasionally, but I'd definitely use it more if iMessage and FaceTime were all integrated together with iChat.

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Isn't Jabber part of the iMessage protocol? I remember that as being one of the 5 or 6 open protocols that Apple pieced together to come up with iMessage.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I'm surprised Apple's bothering to support these old protocols. Replace iChat with iMessage and let 3rd party apps support the old protocols.

Also, I really want Apple to build an iMessage web app. Let's say you're phone's dead and out of battery - you can use a friend's phone to access the web client and let that special someone know you're safe. Or let's say you're in a foreign country, using some ****** terminal - you'd still be able to communicate in near real-time.

It's those kind of things that really add value to people. Apple is usually too restrictive with how you access their services (for example, not offering cross-platform web interfaces), so a lot of that value is lost.

iMessage has a lot of potential value to people. I hope Apple really go for it.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
It'd be really great if you could reply to IMs without having to leave the app you're currently in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.