Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Good. With Apple, you pay $25 to have to upload the majority of your music collection. With Google, you pay nothing to have to upload all of your music collection.

Actually, in my case, iTunes was able to match nearly all of 18000 songsin my library, and it uploaded nearly all of the rest (a few exceeded the size limit). On the other hand, Google Music only uploaded a small portion of them (about 5%) since it refuses to acknowlege lossless tracks, and nearly my whole library is burnt from CDs into that format.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
So basically this is iTunes Match for free. However, iTunes Match is up to 25,000 songs not including matched songs.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
With iTunes Match, you only have to upload songs that aren't available on iTunes. They have more music than any other source. If you have to upload 60% of your music, it must all be music you created in your basement.

iTunes match isn't perfect, but that latest version did much better job of matching then all the betas.

EgbertAttrick

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Where does music you purchase from Google live? Can it be used on iTunes, or burned to a CD, or as music to make a video project or what-have-you?

Also, regardless of that answer, Google's track record with non-search-engine products for the masses is not vey good. Buzz, Plus, Wave, Video...

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
There are some clear distinctions you're missing though. For one, with iTunes Match you don't upload the "majority" of your library. The majority is paired with content from the iTunes music store and then you are able to re-download at DRM free 256 kbps AAC files.

Although Google's Music Store purchases are 320Kbps MP3 files. Personally, I'm not interested in "upgrading" my library since I never get to own these higher quality files in iCloud. But it is nice to know Google's music is a pretty good quality compared to other online music stores.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I would't want to have to upload all my music. It was bad enough uploading 1800+ songs.

Even if it meant access on ANY device/computer instead of just your iDevice?

I think it's a great implementation. I think the web interface could use some work - but it's new - so I'll give them time...

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

"We see you like music from Vampire Weekend. Here, let us bombard you with ads for skinny jeans. Love, your buds at Google."

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Good. With Apple, you pay $25 to have to upload the majority of your music collection. With Google, you pay nothing to have to upload all of your music collection.

Google you pay nothing to get 20k songs uploaded,

Apple you pay $25 to get 25k songs uploaded, + Matched songs, converted to 256kbs which is a pretty bid deal

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Where does music you purchase from Google live? Can it be used on iTunes, or burned to a CD, or as music to make a video project or what-have-you?

Also, regardless of that answer, Google's track record with non-search-engine products for the masses is not vey good. Buzz, Plus, Wave, Video...

The purchases just become part of your Google Music "library" available for you to stream from anywhere. I do not know if it's downloadable, although I know you can share your purchases with your Google+ friends for free (the complete song, not snippets).

I agree that Google's track record sucks unless its search engine related, with the exception of Android, but Google Music is pretty cool. The only pain in the butt is the initial uploading, but after that its cake.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

It goes straight to your Google Music library online. If you have a android device you will see a notification (and it will be added to your phone's muisc library instantly for streaming). You can download the 320kbps mp3 from your Google Music library online or use the music manager application to download all of your purchases at once.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Even if it meant access on ANY device/computer instead of just your iDevice?

I think it's a great implementation. I think the web interface could use some work - but it's new - so I'll give them time...

I can use iTunes on any computer and only own iDevices...

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
With iTunes Match, you only have to upload songs that aren't available on iTunes. They have more music than any other source. If you have to upload 60% of your music, it must all be music you created in your basement.

And from what I see and experience, if you don't own America's Top 40 Hits, iTunes has trouble matching them and you are stuck uploading them. And if you rip your own, 100% legit CD, why exactly is iTunes Match unable to recognize 100% of these songs? I guess if Apple can't exactly match your mp3, then the record companies would never be able to accurately tell if your copy is pirated, even if it had a watermark.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

"We see you like music from Vampire Weekend. Here, let us bombard you with ads for skinny jeans. Love, your buds at Google."

There's no ads...at least not in the Android app. Whether there is on the website I don't know, as I have no need to use it.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Dumb question

Is the tune in that video made specifically for Google Music, or is it a real, known tune? And if it is, care to share the title/artist?

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I knew there was a catch. Its for android. No thanks.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
To be fair this is the first time I have seen a competitor actually have the potential to beat itunes. I love the iOS synergy and if android gets the same interchangeability with chrome and the music store I would be tempted and I am a apple fan.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Actually, in my case, iTunes was able to match nearly all of 18000 songsin my library, and it uploaded nearly all of the rest (a few exceeded the size limit). On the other hand, Google Music only uploaded a small portion of them (about 5%) since it refuses to acknowlege lossless tracks, and nearly my whole library is burnt from CDs into that format.

Ouch.

Fail Hard there Google.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So basically this is iTunes Match for free. However, iTunes Match is up to 25,000 songs not including matched songs.
Not really the same as iTunes Match. There is no matching done with the google service. If you didn't buy it from their (Google's) store, you have to upload your copy (if it meets the restrictions for song uploading).

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I knew there was a catch. Its for android. No thanks.

No it's not. You can sign up for a Google Music account and access the songs on your computer or anywhere that has an internet connection. You don't need an Android device to use it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Google Music is great. Even though it took forever to upload all my songs, once I was done, I couldn't imagine it any other way. Storage for 20,000 songs for free? Who wouldn't want that?
It is quite platform agnostic. Just stream from a browser. The problem is getting your music in the cloud. That was time consuming.

I do not want to give Google more information but my web browser is becoming my primary application. As long as I can get a browser of my choice, the operating system does not matter.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
It is quite platform agnostic. Just stream from a browser. The problem is getting your music in the cloud. That was time consuming.

I do not want to give Google more information but my web browsing is becoming my primary application. As long as I can get a browser of my choice, the operating system does not matter.

Yeah I only have like 600 songs and it took like 3 days, so I can't even imagine how long it would take for someone who actually utilizes the 20,000 song limit. I do like the Android app, and the whole idea behind it though, and if any product can give iTunes a run for its money (for free haha) it would be Google Music, IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.