Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Most importantly, someone needs to point me to a link that explains how to do this.

I understand how it works, but I don't know how to get the spacing right based on speed.

Attachments

• Spinning words.png
    Spinning words.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 79

nehemiascr

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
The logo looks awfully close to Apple's iCloud sans the headphones. I sure hope they don't sue Google over this. That would cross the line, IMO.

duh!! It's a cloud!! how do you expect to represent a cloud in 2 2d space without making two of them look alike. for that matter, apple copied everyone in the cloud business before them.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Rodimus Prime said:
Pink∆Floyd;13871661 said:
Something about that logo...

Why can't they make a different looking cloud, clouds come in all shapes, they just copied Apple...

you might want to check your fact. It is more of an Apple copy Google Music icon. So why couldn't Apple come up with its own?

iCloud announced June 6th.
Google Music first announced (and used that same icon) in May 10. Nearly a full month before Apple's iCloud announcement with its icon.

So tell me who copied who?

How long has mobile me icon been around for? Alot longer!

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How long has mobile me icon been around for? Alot longer!

If not in jest, do you really have nothing better to do?

JoshJosh117

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
And where exactly in my post did I suggest otherwise? I said you'll have to upload the "majority" (meaning: not all) of your library with Apple and "all" (meaning: all) of your songs with Google.

Doesn't Google have a 20,000 song limit? Because I thought Apple has a 25,000 limit, and that's only for non-matched songs...?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I was signed up for the beta the day it was opened, and did the uploading over the next three days. Could just have been everyone uploading at the same time. Haven't uploaded anything since so maybe its faster now, not sure. I agree that even though the initial uploading could take long, its completely worth it.

Yeah then a bad time to judge it on terms of speed. I think at the time all the reports was it was a slow crawl as the servers were slammed. It was pretty bad for the first month or so from what I understand but did get better after the first spike.

I will saw it has been pretty much worth it as it lets me run a lot lighter on music I store on my phone as I can stream most of the stuff. Now it is a data hog so if you do not have unlimited data or not on wifi I do not recommend using it all the time. I suck down something like 2.5 gigs alone to Google music just streaming the 2-3 hours I have to keep between class 1 day per week.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
you might want to check your fact. It is more of an Apple copy Google Music icon. So why couldn't Apple come up with its own?

iCloud announced June 6th.
Google Music first announced (and used that same icon) in May 10. Nearly a full month before Apple's iCloud announcement with its icon.

So tell me who copied who?

Just because Google announced it earlier doesn't mean anything kid

Apple doesn't come up with an icon in a month, it takes them plenty of research and time to come up with the perfect one

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Just like iTunes it's hardly the way to listen to music. Music stores seized to exist and millions are isolated from each other with ears filled with cheap headphones. Compressed distribution and cheap devices stripped the public and now the second generation from quality reproduction. Effectively it's nothing more than noise. Sad.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Good. With Apple, you pay $25 to have to upload the majority of your music collection. With Google, you pay nothing to have to upload all of your music collection. I guess we'll see which one wins. On the premise that the Android has twice the base of iOS, I'll say Google "wins" this one (while directly earning no money).

I do find it most interesting how Apple had to get in bed and pay the music labels while Google bypassed them and still got their blessing (sans Warner Bros).

lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Pink∆Floyd;13871876 said:
Just because Google announced it earlier doesn't mean anything kid

Apple doesn't come up with an icon in a month, it takes them plenty of research and time to come up with the perfect one

Hey you were the one who claimed Google copied Apple's icon.

Do you not like it when the facts complete blow that out of the water and if anyone was coping it was Apple. Noticed how quickly you change your tune when it was the other way around.

I think the fact that multiple people here stated that Google copies Apple's icon shows volumes about the blinders Apple fans have. Facts point to fact that Google showed the icon first not Apple. Unless somehow Google invented time travel went to June 6th saw Apple's icon so they could show it a month in advance.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Just like iTunes it's hardly the way to listen to music. Music stores seized to exist and millions are isolated from each other with ears filled with cheap headphones. Compressed distribution and cheap devices stripped the public and now the second generation from quality reproduction. Effectively it's nothing more than noise. Sad.
I'm far more concerned about all the 'mastering' they're doing nowadays. Compression and weak devices don't matter when the source itself was violated beyond repair before it even got anywhere near consumers.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GRJ22; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'm patiently waiting for a worldwide release.

Hopefully they'll develop an iOS and WP7 app for some nice cross-platform cloud compatibility.

Yeah seriously. Love to have all my songs available at all times, for free.

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I'm interested in the indy music being able to have their own pages and everything... Certainly worth a look.

It'd also be interesting to see this integrated with Youtube. ie You've bought this song: Listen, Download, Watch.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
I'm far more concerned about all the 'mastering' they're doing nowadays. Compression and weak devices don't matter when the source itself was violated beyond repair before it even got anywhere near consumers.

If chosen with care, there are many available valuable pressings / high quality recordings.

Tulipo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

At least iOS users have access to the google music site to use on safari. Still would be nicer to have a dedicated app from Google.

ThanksSteve

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
And Google becomes even more competitive against Apple. On their ground. Apple has enough of a head start in music that Google will need to do something special to make a dent, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did at least take a decent amount of the market. Especially with so many Android mobile out there.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
any signed or unsigned artist with distribution rights for their material to create a dedicated Google Music page for a one-time $25 fee. Artists can use their pages to share information and sell their music, with artists able to set their own pricing and receiving 70% of revenue.

This means anyone (even me who can just barely play a guitar) can for $25 have a global music distribution deal. This the HUGE and the 70% cut is far better than they'd get otherwise.

But sadly the kids will never buy your music if you are not on TV.

But for $25 I just might get a few buddies call ourselves a "band" with some catchy name like "We Suck", or "Musical Disaster" we each chip in $5 and publish an album. I wonder if we'd ever make our $25 investment back?

I bet a lot of people actually try this.

Kevtech1

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
Charlotte
Where's the iOS app?

I wonder if Apple will approve the app even if Google develops one. I have been using Google Music Beta for a while now, and it is slick! It even pulls music straight out of iTunes. I bought a new cd recently. Inserted it, and of course iTunes popped up and ripped the cd to my itunes library. I was busy doing some other things and forgot to sync my iPhone with the new songs that I had ripped to my library. That next day I really wanted to listen to the album as I sat at my desk (corp. america- firewalls, etc. Can't remote in). So, I logged into the web app for Google Music, and guess what- the album was there! Very cool. Too bad there is no iOS app yet. Hopefully we get it. I don't think there is a problem with multiple music solutions. I am trialing Spotify right now as well- anyone using it? Very cool, and if they can continue to get big titles it may be worth $10/mnth for unlimited music!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.