Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I hate it when I download an app and it has that cancel sign on it. Some apps that I want are intel only, which is frustrating. This said, is there a way to emulate an intel app on a Power PC Mac? That would be cool...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Realistically the only reason it worked from PPC to Intel was that the Intel CPUs were so much faster than the PPC CPUs they were "emulating" via the translation layer. Imagine how slow Intel apps would be running emulated on PowerPC.

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
Hi Drew,

It is * technically* possible, you can get apps like virtual pc that emulate a whole x86 pc so running a mac native app, albeit for a different architecture, should be just as possible.
I haven't come across any software like this, I think due to the speed it would run at, ie really, really slowly.
Your best bet would be to find a native PPC alternative, what software is it you a trying to run? Someone here is bound to know of a good alternative.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Imagine how slow Intel apps would be running emulated on PowerPC.
This an issue.

But is it possible?
Well, you can run x86 windows apps via darwine (which uses QEMU to emulate an x86 CPU and WINE as the translation layer). I believe the roadblock for some kind of darwine like implementation for x86 OS X is that there is no legitimate way to get OS X running in QEMU.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
You can't run an Intel-only Mac app on a PowerPC Mac. Can't be done at all. You can emulate an entire Windows PC on a PowerPC using Virtual PC.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
OK. The reason I posted was because my dad is thinking about getting an older mac (iBook, Powerbook...) off of eBay, and the older ones usually are priced lower. He invests, and needs a windows app called Qcharts. I have an iBook G3 (Tiger) and I'd like to test it out before he makes his decision. If not, he will spend some extra $$$ to buy an older Macbook.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
Frankly, while Virtual PC allows you to run Windows, it's REALLY slow. Most people would find it very frustrating. He would be much better to buy something that can run Windows in VM Ware, Parallels, or Crossover.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
RDC is the word you're looking for...

Frankly, while Virtual PC allows you to run Windows, it's REALLY slow.

this. REALLY (REALLY!!!) slow. even as a mad hacker/tweaker pulling out all the tricks on a windows install, it was hard to use.

best idea i have for these types of questions is remote desktop. get a running windows pc (or laptop) for cheap, put it on the network in a closet or garage or whatever, and the use the free RDC (remote desktop client) to control the pc. follow the links, then click 'Remote Desktop' and then download the '1.0.3' for PPC, or the '2.1.1' if you have an intel mac.

NOTE: the pc would need to be running XP Pro or the newer equivalent to be able to support the remote connection. the 'Home' version won't do this.

cheap, easy, won't slow down the Mac lappy, easy to support, update, backup, etc. i do this with an old piece of crap dell running in my crawl space under my house. it's cool, i dust it out once per year, it's totally silent or at least i can't hear it running from anywhere in the house. won't work for games/movies, but any regular apps look as good as running on a native PC.

best of luck.

Last edited:

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
this. REALLY (REALLY!!!) slow. even as a mad hacker/tweaker pulling out all the tricks on a windows install, it was hard to use.

best idea i have for these types of questions is remote desktop. get a running windows pc (or laptop) for cheap, put it on the network in a closet or garage or whatever, and the use the free RDC (remote desktop client) to control the pc. click the 'Remote Desktop' and then download the '1.0.3' for PPC, or the '2.1.1' if you have an intel mac.

NOTE: the pc would need to be running XP Pro or the newer equivalent to be able to support the remote connection. the 'Home' version won't do this.

cheap, easy, won't slow down the Mac lappy, easy to support, update, backup, etc. i do this with an old piece of crap dell running in my crawl space under my house. it's cool, i dust it out once per year, it's totally silent or at least i can't hear it running from anywhere in the house. won't work for games/movies, but any regular apps look as good as running on a native PC.

best of luck.

Exactly. I kinda miss my pc days.. I learned everything I know about computing in XP Pro.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia

best idea i have for these types of questions is remote desktop. get a running windows pc (or laptop) for cheap, put it on the network in a closet or garage or whatever, and the use the free RDC (remote desktop client) to control the pc. click the 'Remote Desktop' and then download the '1.0.3' for PPC, or the '2.1.1' if you have an intel mac.

best of luck.

Exactly. I kinda miss my PC days. I learned almost everything I know about computing in XP Pro.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Frankly, while Virtual PC allows you to run Windows, it's REALLY slow.

It was just about unusable, even on a Quad G5. At the time, it really was much more worthwhile to just buy a cheap PC if you had to spend any time in Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.