Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

skype_facebook.jpg

Back in September, Skype debuted a new Skype 5.4 for Mac Beta offering Facebook integration in the form of chat and news feed support. The company has now expanded that integration to include support for Facebook video calling.
Initiating a Facebook-to-Facebook call from within Skype is quite easy; all you need to do is connect your Skype and Facebook accounts. Then, select a Facebook friend and hit the video call button in Skype- your friend simply picks up the call from Facebook. This new feature lets you maintain social connections with your Facebook friends and compliments previously announced features such as being able to see when your Facebook friends are online, read their status updates and IM them all from Skype.
Skype is a free download and service, although the company also offers a premium subscription service offering such features as group video calling and group screen sharing.

Article Link: Skype Adds Facebook Video Calling Support

Wilder

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2011
I wish Apple brought Skype. It would have been amazing to have Skype integrated into iOS and would have been the perfect starting point for FaceTime and iMessages.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I wish Apple brought Skype. It would have been amazing to have Skype integrated into iOS and would have been the perfect starting point for FaceTime and iMessages.

Apple would never paid all those billions for Skype.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
As long as I can block annoying people from calling me all the time I guess it'll be okay. I haven't used skype in forever though, it's all facetime for me.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Facebook Desktop?

So Skype is Facebook's first officially supported desktop app, considering that Microsoft owns Skype, I think we'll see the bond between Facebook and Microsoft grow over time. Microsoft Office online already works with Facebook, and adding Microsoft's Live services would create a formidable opponent for Google's cloud services.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
What's the delay in opening up the Facetime specifications? Steve announced that Apple would open up all the protocols/etc for Facetime in a keynote.

We need Facetime on Windows, HTC, Android, etc. With Microsoft now owning Skype and this Facebook integration (not that I care about Facebook at all), all signs are pointing at Skype getting a too strong foothold as a closed standard.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
What's the delay in opening up the Facetime specifications? Steve announced that Apple would open up all the protocols/etc for Facetime in a keynote.

We need Facetime on Windows, HTC, Android, etc. With Microsoft now owning Skype and this Facebook integration (not that I care about Facebook at all), all signs are pointing at Skype getting a too strong foothold as a closed standard.

Apple is incompetent in that perspective.
They do a lot of things right but social networking is just not their thing.

----------

What's 'iChat' ??

What is facebook.:rolleyes:

mailhojo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2001
Skype and Facebook?

Really? Does anyone use Skype since Oprah went off the air? AND can't wait for Facebook to become the next MySpace...the next AOL...please hurry.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009

I agree that Apple has not been great in the social networking space, but opening up facetime does not have much to do with that.

DisturbedLen

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2004
Really? Does anyone use Skype since Oprah went off the air? AND can't wait for Facebook to become the next MySpace...the next AOL...please hurry.

100% agree. The "walled community" e.g. AOL, MySpace, Compuserve, etc... all topple. I could frankly care less about Skype and Facebook integration. As long as it's not intrusive, it's fine by me.

----------

----------

What is facebook.:rolleyes:

I think you meant They do a lot of things right but social networking is just not their "ping". :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.