Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

signal.jpg

Every third Thursday, the guys at Signal Snowboards make a custom (and a little off-the-wall) board to push the limits of snowboard design. This month, the guys built iShred, an aluminum-based board with a built-in iPad 2 and a light-up wi-fi beacon.

The board turned out to be much more difficult to make than Signal had anticipated, but they got it done in the end -- though with the aluminum base, it wasn't the best board to actually ride:
The thing is like a missile -- it doesn't like to turn, but its pretty fast and heavy... it's like a lead weight. It's probably the heaviest board I've ridden. I give it a negative review on turnability.
Signal said they wanted to honor "the man who inspired and built products that almost every snowboarder we know loves and uses in their daily lives."

Article Link: Signal Snowboards Honor Steve Jobs With the iShred

Fafafoooey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
USA
Don't do the snow board or ski thing but...

That thing is really nice and what a way to honor SJ and Apple! Nice work!

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
babe magnet!

so cool -

and to those who didn't watch the whole thing beyond the credits - a girl admires the ipad at the top of a slope, and he asks if he can get her phone number for his ipad contact's page!

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Good publicity

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
I don't mean to be a downer, as the board is kinda nifty. But doesn't this seem like the opposite of the kind of board Jobs would have appreciated?

The thing is like a missile -- it doesn't like to turn, but its pretty fast and heavy... it's like a lead weight. It's probably the heaviest board I've ridden. I give it a negative review on turnability.

Like, wouldn't he appreciate usability over features?

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I don't mean to be a downer, as the board is kinda nifty. But doesn't this seem like the opposite of the kind of board Jobs would have appreciated?

It's not the sort of thing Jobs would have approved as a product, but it is almost certainly the sort of creative prototyping that he would have approved of. After all, if you never try something completely new, you'll never create something that nobody else has created yet.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA

Steve Jobs = form over function :p

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I LOVE this board!!!

Gosh I can't wait to snowboard. I need to move to Colorado or Whistler or someplace where good snow falls. Pennsylvania just isn't cutting it.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Steve Jobs = form over function :p

kind of true... no doubt he created and inspired great things, but ironically, I just got off a conference call with my iphone 4S.

I doubt sound (speaker and mic) is any better than my iphone 3G, maybe a touch better than my original. It should have grown leaps and bounds...

* but I did dig the snowboard guys. - cooler than me, dudes!

Seanozz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

That is awesome and so
Makes me miss snowboarding.

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
The lit logo is really cool but the bit with the iPad looks a bit naff IMO. When you look a the video the top sheet has been cut to allow you to see the ipad / control it but they have not even nicely smoothed the edges.

It looks very un-refined.

Would also have prefered to have it flush in the top sheet

proboscisjoe

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
never seen a board with aluminum on it?

"I don't even know if I've ever even seen a board with aluminum on it."

- http://aluflex.fr/snowboard/

I was buying longboard skateboards with wood sandwiched between two aluminum sheets, made using the same manufacturing process as their snowboards, back in 2005...

davepilgrimus

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
The Sunny State
Man this board is so cool. Maybe I can get two iphone 4s retrofitted to my skis. One phone per ski for internet streaming.

It does make me sad thinking of Steve Jobs though. I miss that guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.