Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, we noted that Sony Pictures was reportedly courting Aaron Sorkin to write the screenplay for a film adaption of Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs. At the time, former ER star Noah Wyle, who played Jobs in the 1999 made-for-TV movie Pirates of Silicon Valley, reported that he would love to reprise the role in a new film.

clooney_wyle_friends.jpg

Clooney and Wyle guest starring on Friends in 1995 (Source: Comedy Central)
According to British magazine NOW, Wyle is indeed in the running to play Jobs in the forthcoming film, with his former ER co-star George Clooney reportedly also in the mix.
George Clooney, 50, is battling it out with his former ER co-star Noah Wyle, 40, to play Apple founder Steve Jobs in a new movie.

The biopic, which is expected to start filming next year, will chart the life of the tecchie guru, who died last month from cancer at the age of 56.
Isaacson's biography of Jobs has been one of the biggest-selling books of the year despite having debuted just last month. Amazon projected just after the book's release that it could become the company's #1 seller for 2011, and the title currently stands at #2.

Article Link: George Clooney and Noah Wyle Vying to Play Steve Jobs on Film?

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Maybe it's because I've already seen Wyle play the part and maybe its because he looks so much like Jobs, but my gut likes Wyle more playing the role.

I will say, though, that Clooney wouldn't have to act much to get Jobs' character down.

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I think this is going too far. I mean, I like Jobs. I respected him for what he did at Apple. But I don't like this God status that he gets in the press, since he is died. What they are saying about him changing the world, c'mon. Movies, books, stories. There are more important people then Jobs. Leave the guy alone. I don't think he would liked this anyway.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Noah Wylie = younger Steve Jobs

George Clooney = older Steve Jobs with illness (he would have to lose a lot of weight though)

My real preference would be for Keannu Reeves

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
John Siracusa has a scathing review of the Isaacson book on 5by5.com the hypercritical podcast. Yeah it's hypercritical but also pretty correct. I hope the movie handles the tech details correctly.

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Noah Wylie = younger Steve Jobs

George Clooney = older Steve Jobs with illness (he would have to lose a lot of weight though)

My real preference would be for Keannu Reeves

+1 on this. No George Clooney.. Keannu and Noah would be a lot better fit.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Hrmn....

I can't see Clooney playing the role of Jobs.... To be honest, I think it's often the case that when Hollywood needs an actor to portray a famous figure from the present day or very recent past, they're better off using a relatively unknown actor than a big-name star.

The popular acting stars obviously WANT as many of these roles as they can get, since it's a fun challenge and potential is there to make big money at the box office. But from the viewpoint of the movie-watcher, there's always a disconnect when you see a very familiar actor try to pretend to be another very familiar person whose face you know well.

At least if you select a relatively unknown actor, you simply see a face you don't automatically associate with other movie roles, and it's mentally easier to believe you're looking at the person they're pretending to be (Jobs in this case).

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I must admit, I'd much much MUCH rather them create a film/story from the Start of Steve's career, when he was interested in computers as a hobby, right through to the end.

But, to use, obviously a series of actors to cover the ages, and for them not to be BIG famous actors. I really hate it, when you watch something and can't believe in it as you know the actor only to well from other popular roles.

If they can cast some really good local? or small scale actors that are not generally known, then it would make the whole thing more believable.

Of course if they can get someone who looks like him, then even better:
http://totallylookslike.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/5658c6bf-69a7-4f64-9962-289544f63318.jpg

Chunk Style

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
I like Wyle well enough in POSV. I thought that whole thing was well cast. I can't see Clooney in the role. He always just seems to play variations of George Clooney in his movies, at least recently.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
I think this is going too far. I mean, I like Jobs. I respected him for what he did at Apple. But I don't like this God status that he gets in the press, since he is died. What they are saying about him changing the world, c'mon. Movies, books, stories. There are more important people then Jobs. Leave the guy alone. I don't think he would liked this anyway.

Everyone keeps talking about "what Steve would have wanted" - I think he definitely would have wanted this. From reading the first 1/3 of the book, which IMO was poorly written and boring, the main thing that jumped out at me was that the only thing Steve Jobs unconsciously wanted throughout his entire life was ATTENTION. Of which he is getting plenty and would love every second of

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Siracusa's Review

It's spot on. He doesn't understand tech, so that hurts him in understanding Jobs's passion. He comes off as the dumbest psychiatrist on Park Avenue, delivering his scolding, old-maidish tut-tuts in a completely conventional way.

He's an egotistical hack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.