Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the launch of the iPhone 4S, Apple also debuted a new $99 AppleCare+ program offering an extended warranty with accidental damage coverage. The AppleCare+ package replaced the previous $69 AppleCare for iPhone offering that did not offer accidental coverage.

Some confusion about the AppleCare+ program arose in its early days, stemming in large part from Apple's requirement that the coverage be purchased at the same time as the iPhone, a requirement that seemed to conflict with the legal text of the agreement which stated that AppleCare+ must be purchased within the device's one-year standard warranty period. Regardless, a number of customers were not offered the AppleCare+ option at the time of pre-ordering, and Apple addressed the issue by offering a temporary exception to allow any early iPhone purchaser to obtain AppleCare+ through November 14th.

how_to_get_applecare.png

With that deadline for delays AppleCare+ purchases having now passed, Apple appeared set to revert to the original policy of requiring that the plan be purchased at the same time as the iPhone. But Apple has now updated its AppleCare+ page to indicate that users can purchase it in-person at an Apple retail store or over the phone any time within 30 days after the iPhone purchase.
How to get AppleCare+

* Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.

* Buy it within 30 days of your iPhone purchase:
- At Apple Retail (requires a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPhone & proof of purchase).
- Or call 1-800-275-2273 (requires proof of purchase).
Apple has also revised the AppleCare+ terms and conditions to remove the previous mention of the option to purchase any time within the one-year standard warranty period.

applecare_sprint_15dec2011.jpg

In addition to the new 30-day window, SprintFeed reports that it has received an internal Sprint notice indicating that the original amnesty period for early iPhone 4S purchasers has also been extended through December 15th. The wording does suggest, however, that the 30-day limit still applies to these customers, so customers who purchased the iPhone 4S on launch day would still be out of luck given that the window has now passed for them. But the policy does offer some continuing retroactive coverage for customers who purchased their devices less than 30 days ago.

Article Link: AppleCare+ Now Available for Sale Within 30 Days of iPhone Purchase

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
So if you phone falls and breaks within 30 days, you can: A)have it inspected by a retail store and be denied. or. B) call apple and successfully buy Apple Care.

Doesn't seem logical that the two options are so different.

Last edited:

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Still silly terms. You should be able to get it any time within the first year with maybe a 30 day grace period before you can use it. That would keep most people from purchasing it right after they broke it and wanting to get it fixed right away if that is their concern. Having to bring it in to be inspected? seriously?

Also have they cleared up wither water damage is covered? I would assume it was but then also see people posting on Apple's boards that they were told it was not. It is conspicuously absent from there terms. "Accidental Damage from Handling" is pretty vague.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
So...

If I didn't buy Apple Care+ now within the required time, I will not be able to purchase it forever? So since I am with ATT will my only option to get insurance for my iPhone 4S is with their program or others (square trade)?

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Wow. This makes me wonder... If this 30 days "crap" works very well for Apple, will they extend this BS to all other AppleCare purchases for other products such as MBP, MBA, iMac, etc.? :confused: :(

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
If I didn't buy Apple Care+ now within the required time, I will not be able to purchase it forever? So since I am with ATT will my only option to get insurance for my iPhone 4S is with their program or others (square trade)?

I think the ATT insurance has a 2 week window.

MAGNUStm

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
Ok, maybe I'm still half asleep and it's just not registering, but can someone clear this up for me;

I preordered my 4s and was never prompted with the option for AC+. I later read about the "amnesty" period thru 11/14 but I completely forgot about it. I've been kicking myself in the arse for it every since. According to the screen shot we now have until 12/15 to purchase AC+ but the last paragraph states otherwise.

Can someone please provide some clarity?

Thanks

xxplosive1984

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Dallas, TX
This whole thing is ridiculous. I should be able to purchase Applecare at anytime during the initial 1 year warranty period. I just spent $300 for the phone. Can a customer have a few months relief before having to shell out again for Applecare?

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I will buy it for my daughters phone but not for my wife's or mine.

I'm now self insured because my wife and I have had every iPhone that has been released and we never purchased Apple Care, mostly because we knew we would upgrade in 1 year, and that's $552 in savings.

Now that Apple Care+ covers accidental damage ($49 deductible) and Apple is not necessarily going to release a new phone ever 12 months, it makes more sense to buy the coverage.

Nonetheless, my daughter will keep her phone for at least two years so Apple Care + will be a wise move!

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I will buy it for my daughters phone but not for my wife's or mine.

I'm now self insured because my wife and I have had every iPhone that has been released and we never purchased Apple Care, mostly because we knew we would upgrade in 1 year, and that's $552 in savings.

Now that Apple Care+ covers accidental damage ($49 deductible) and Apple is not necessarily going to release a new phone ever 12 months, it makes more sense to buy the coverage.

Nonetheless, my daughter will keep her phone for at least two years so Apple Care + will be a wise move!

So you spend $99 on applecare and another 49 if you actually use it which comes to about 150 bucks. An out of warranty replacement from Apple is $199.

You're out $100 bucks whether or not you ever use it, and you're out $150 if you do. Doesn't seem like a bargain to me. Just pay the 200 if you ever need the out of warranty replacement and if you never need it then you save $100.

MAGNUStm

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
So you spend $99 on applecare and another 49 if you actually use it which comes to about 150 bucks. An out of warranty replacement from Apple is $199.

You're out $100 bucks whether or not you ever use it, and you're out $150 if you do. Doesn't seem like a bargain to me. Just pay the 200 if you ever need the out of warranty replacement and if you never need it then you save $100.

My guess is this will force someone to use it. Especially those that plan to sell their phone at a later time. They could easily "accidentally" drop it and have it replaced for a brand new phone.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007

There was a news article/post on here regarding the $199 replacement and I thought it stated that Apple was not going to do that anymore. That went away with the offering of Apple Care +.

I could be wrong... I did not pay much attention to it because it did not matter to me at the time.

If Apple replaced your damage phone for $199, then with Apple Care + you would save $51.

$99 Apple Care +
$49 Deductible
---------------------------
$148 Cost to have phone replaced with Apple Care +

Compared to $199 if Apple will still do it that way.

Furthermore, your allowed two incidents within the two years so you could have your phone replaced for a second time for just another $49.

The $49 only applies to accidental damage and not just a part failure so if your phone needs to be replaced because the screen died or a circuit board failed, there would be no additional charge?

Sounds like a great deal if your going to hang onto your phone for longer than one year!

Last edited:

xxplosive1984

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Dallas, TX

Just curious, how would an out of warranty replacement only cost $200. Would you have to pay $650 (if you wanted a 16GB, for instance)?

johnfinn68

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
AppleCare+ WAS OFFERED TO EVERYONE AT THE TIME OF PRE-ORDER! I ordered mine at 4am, and it was there!!! The problem was that it was located far down on the products page, and you had to scroll down to see it. It was easily missed because Apple put the button to complete the order high up on the page. It was all very poorly laid out. Possibly on purpose.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

Click "Warranty and Service Pricing", then click "My iPhone is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?"

$650 would be a total loss. $199 if you have damaged phone and give it to Apple. Without the + care, after a year if your phone takes a dump you poney up the $199, with it, free. If you break your phone at any point-damage, water, etc. $49 is not bad to replace it. Most carrier insurances have $169 and up deductible.

a random John

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
I bought it form my iPhone 4s by calling AppleCare after Verizon wouldn't sell it to me and my local Apple store refused to an told me to call AppleCare. AppleCare apologized that the store wouldn't take care of it and sold it to me without hassle.

I've had two devices go bad just after the warranty period and I've cracked a screen on another. This was a no-brainer for me.

scoiattolo49

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
This new 30 days limit is only for US.

In Europe you can still buy the Applecare+ within one year of the iPhone purchase.

BTW in the EU the mandatory warranty is two years anyway so there is less incentive to buy AppleCare

VictorWI

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
People drop their phones too much. I haven't dropped one in years. Buy a good case if you are a klutz, much cheaper than $99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.