Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
The biggest bully of the playground getting ganged up by other kids...

You'll get no sympathy from me.

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
You are just reading the over view. Chances are really good that the patent is pretty specific and they are suing over that.
Remember Apple opened this can of worms and started MAD. No one trust them not to come after them next.

I agree, the problem is on both sides, Apple clearly fuels the fire with its ridiculous patents too. I am definitely on the hate the game, not the player side of this whole war. I want to see the game chagned so that companies aren't awarded such ******** patents in the first place. I completely respect any company that protects the patents they were awarded, it doesn't make sense not to.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Wouldn't 2.7 billion be enough to come up with an alternative solution that does not infringe or design around the problem to not infringe. (rhetoric question) :rolleyes:

I doubt even Apple's lawyers believe that figure. It's just a made up number trying to get a high bond.
The question is... what constitutes infringing products? Certainly all the iOS based devices. And doesn't Lion have iCloud functions in it? so doesn't that mean all Macs as well?

The 2 Billion Euro figure quoted by Apple while probably high may not be as far from the mark as we thought.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
basically calling Motorola's bluff.

----------

The biggest bully of the playground getting ganged up by other kids...

You'll get no sympathy from me.

kids as in other billion dollar companies ? lol

btw: no one's asking for any sympathy.

bEEarCUB

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

How does one patent cloud based synchronization? That seems like a patent that should have never been given out.

Does someone own corded charging? Browser integration? File downloading?

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

How does one patent cloud based synchronization? That seems like a patent that should have never been given out.

Does someone own corded charging? Browser integration? File downloading?

A grid of colorful icons?

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
The question is... what constitutes infringing products? Certainly all the iOS based devices. And doesn't Lion have iCloud functions in it? so doesn't that mean all Macs as well?

The 2 Billion Euro figure quoted by Apple while probably high may not be as far from the mark as we thought.

My point was that the lawsuit concerns data synchronization, which surely sounds like a software mechanism. If you have 2.7 billion euros, and use that to hire the best minds for this you can possibly find, can you then come up with a different, alternative data synchronization mechanism for less than 2.7 billion.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Agree that all these patent wars are ridiculous , as are a lot (most?) of the patents themselves. Like others, I'm nog taking sides, Apple is every bit as bad.

Anyone remember the spoof news wire email that did the rounds a few years ago about MS patenting the digits 0 & 1 so every s/w company would owe them trillions of $$$? The way things are going I can see that becoming reality!

The really bad thing about is that it's you and I who pay for it all

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It really feels like all this patent garbage is going to come back and bite Apple in the butt big time. They started the offense side and now not only are all the lawsuits consuming constant, massive resources, but they are coming under major risk. Nearly $3B from just one patent in just one county, that's serious money, even to Apple. Just pay the damn licensing fees and be done with it already (I don't mean just for this, for everything). And even though I do think Samsung shamelessly ripped off Apple's design, it's just not worth going after them over it. By the time the lawsuits get settled, we'll be 3 generations on into new product designs.

Tim Cook, please stop the madness, stop lining the patent attorney's pockets with billions in legal fees, and just get back to outpacing everyone else, which you already know how to do! It's like you're inning a race and you're out in front, but instead of just running faster, you slow down so you can try to trip the guys behind you, it makes no sense. I'm a fan of Steve Jobs, but I think he was dead wrong on this point, letting his pride cloud his judgement on what was best for Apple, and even for the entire industy.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Not likely

My point was that the lawsuit concerns data synchronization, which surely sounds like a software mechanism. If you have 2.7 billion euros, and use that to hire the best minds for this you can possibly find, can you then come up with a different, alternative data synchronization mechanism for less than 2.7 billion.

Given the simple nature of the patent, the probable answer is not really. The Patent was originally describing pagers, and shared data (wirelessly) between two pagers owned by the same person, so that appointments, contacts, etc would be shared from one device to another via wireless connectivity. The patent should never have been given, but if its accepted as a valid patent, I'm not sure its even possible to do what iCloud is supposed to do and not violate it unless you make them wired connection only. Every android phone and every blackberry for instance is "using" the patent as described as likely does the Windows phones. Any phone that pulls/shares its content with an email account on another computer is likely in violation of the patent.
-Tig

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Given the simple nature of the patent, the probable answer is not really. The Patent was originally describing pagers, and shared data (wirelessly) between two pagers owned by the same person, so that appointments, contacts, etc would be shared from one device to another via wireless connectivity. The patent should never have been given, but if its accepted as a valid patent, I'm not sure its even possible to do what iCloud is supposed to do and not violate it unless you make them wired connection only. Every android phone and every blackberry for instance is "using" the patent as described as likely does the Windows phones. Any phone that pulls/shares its content with an email account on another computer is likely in violation of the patent.
-Tig

I see, I presumed that it was much more specific than that. What you describe means that it does not matter in which way you synchronize, it's the act of synchronizing wirelessly it self that is patented, which sounds absurd.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
-Tig

Exactly! And that is why it is good that if Motorola / Google want them to stop using iCloud, they should have to put up a bond of $2.7bn to make sure that they don't do it just to get ahead of Apple on the German market. Because if the court finds that this is not infringing, Apple will get 2.7bn for losses plus another payment tor future losses because they lost market share to competitors. It could even end up being a FRAND violation if Motorola did not offer using this patent to Apple for FRAND prices - and we know that this can get expensive because it would prohibit competition.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Exactly! And that is why it is good that if Motorola / Google want them to stop using iCloud, they should have to put up a bond of $2.7bn to make sure that they don't do it just to get ahead of Apple on the German market. Because if the court finds that this is not infringing, Apple will get 2.7bn for losses plus another payment tor future losses because they lost market share to competitors. It could even end up being a FRAND violation if Motorola did not offer using this patent to Apple for FRAND prices - and we know that this can get expensive because it would prohibit competition.

Why Motorola have to offer FRAND prices? It's not an essential patent

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
How the **** can you have a patent on data syncronization? What am I missing here?

It's more about the synchronisation of message status. I.e. as the status changes on device, it is reflected on all the other devices. Motorola intended it for people who have multiple pagers that can all be reached on the same number. So a pager message that is read or deleted has this same state applied to all the other messages within the pager group.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
I doubt even Apple's lawyers believe that figure. It's just a made up number trying to get a high bond.

I doubt it.

Apple could be forced to pull all of its products in Germany that contain the infringing iCloud integration.

That means basically all apple products except iPod Shuffle, Nano, & Classic. All the rest, all macs, ipads, iphones ipod touches Apple TV, iTunes, iBookstore, iNewstand are icloud enabled. That means either pull cloud completely and offer no sync solution or redesign and develop a totally different system. In the mean time, loss of customers and loss of sales.

Either way, for us as customers we loose out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.