Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
http://folding.typepad.com/news/201...ed-ba-projects-effective-january-16-2012.html

Looks like they are changing the requirements for bigadv units this January. It will require 16 threads, leaving many of us quad core users out of luck. While many six core machines might be able to reach the deadlines while overclocked, it really is too bad. Although I can see why they might want to make the requirements tougher as time goes on– these units are for high end machines, not laptops :p.

Although, this might give Mac teams an advantage due to the fact that we have eight and twelve core Mac Pros and most higher end PC users don't have duel socketed motherboards. :D

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Yet several users (like me) who have Bloomfield CPUs are left out....

Yes, it's true we are out of luck. My little old i7 920 has been faithfull. I guess that is just how technology goes. We aren't on the cutting edge anymore. Maybe I'll have to upgrade sometime in the near future. :D

...for science of course.:p

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yes, it's true we are out of luck. My little old i7 920 has been faithfull. I guess that is just how technology goes. We aren't on the cutting edge anymore. Maybe I'll have to upgrade sometime in the near future. :D

...for science of course.:p

It took me a while to embrace LGA1366 because of $$ reasons... it'll take even longer to embrace LGA2011 due to the same reasons... although it retrospect, I would only need new mobo+CPU.

However, will the perceived performance be worth the hassle? Me thinks no at this point. Maybe when Haswell is out.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
It took me a while to embrace LGA1366 because of $$ reasons... it'll take even longer to embrace LGA2011 due to the same reasons... although it retrospect, I would only need new mobo+CPU.

However, will the perceived performance be worth the hassle? Me thinks no at this point. Maybe when Haswell is out.

Yea, I probably won't upgrade until the next enthusiast Intel chipset comes out. My machine still has a lot of life in it, especially overclocked.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
wow, thanks for sharing.

i shouldn't be surprised though. heck, the new mbps were basically making the deadline on the bigadv units. a notebook! with new 6 and 8 core processors coming from intel soon, and 16-cores coming from amd, this makes sense.

the question now is, who is upgrading? i've got too much invested in 2 920s and a 930. i won't be upgrading for quite a while (even though my mac pro is now over 5 years old - if they upgrade them next year, who knows!)

but hopefully those with newer mac pros will join our cause (and team).

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
so if you have 8 physical cores, and 16 logical cores with hyperthreading, you are good?

Yes. They want 16 physical cores, but the client only detects logical cores. An overclocked 8 core system should work from what I have heard.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Ok that's what I thought. But something like an 8-core Mac pro would still have trouble?

Not sure. It may be able to eek by the bonus points deadline if it has no interruptions, but that is purely speculation on my part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.