Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Buy the 360 for your kids.

Xbox 360 is a better gaming system. PS3 is a better all around media device.

Make sure you buy extra controllers online, as they can be had a good $20 cheaper if purchased there ($38 vs $60).

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have 8 feet between the sensor and the wall. We don't have any issues.

OP recommend having the kids do a pros and cons list.

At 12/13 the wii is out.

We have 4 Xbox 360, 2 wiis, 2 ps3. Xbox by far is the platform of choice. The ps3 serve as a bluray player.

Brand names aside, it comes down to which platform exclusive games the kids like and which friends the want to play against.

It is a tie between the 360 and ps3. My fam has 2 360s, 2 PS3s, and 1 wii. The wii never gets played really. The Kinect is a gimmick that wears off in a week or so

I prefer the PS3 for bluray and free online. However, I do like the 360 controller but I got used to the ps3 one. Can't go wrong. WIth that said though, Forza 4 >>>>>>>> GT5 which is my only gripe!

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
I had a PS3 and played it here and there. However, everyone from work play on their XBOX 360. So I sold my entire PS3 collection and bought an XBOX 360 with the Kinect and love it.

Whoever thinks the kinect is a gimmick is crazy. We have had it about a year and we play most of the games on the Kinect. The dance games are fun, though I usually just laugh at the wife and kids. The newer sports package is fun too.

The online game play and setup is miles above PS3 and IMO is worth the money. I bought the family pack so my dad has an account too and we hook up with Call of Duty at times.

We bought a Blue Ray Surround System which is simpler to deal with.

I would recommend the XBOX 360.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
12 months of Live can be had for $40 if you watch. When I came to college I had a 360, being tight on money at the time I sold it and got a PS3. PS3 was cool for a while, even though I always hated Sony since the crap fat PS2 that would never read a disc... Straight up, the controller blows for shooters. I dont know what genius designed the lower triggers...but they suck. The trigger clip-on things are a must if you want to use the lower triggers and not have your finger slip off every time. Also, almost every shooter uses the L1-R1 to shoot/aim. If you come from Xbox, this is extremely different and hard to get used to and about 90% of the games dont allow you to change it.

Moving on...I stayed with PS3 until this year when PSN died for a month. There is absolutely no reason it should have been down for a MONTH, Sony was very slow at giving information to the public on what was going on and missed many promises of PSN being back online so I threw the PS3 onto ebay and came back to Xbox. Another thing, Sony has the worst design EVER for the AV cable. I need to use that cable for headphones and the thing has broken on every Sony system I have had. I sent it back in under warranty for the AV plug and because the HDD died and they sent it back without even looking at the AV plug.

I have seen PSN go down quite a few times since the month of downtime, ever since I have had Xbox Live I dont think it has ever been down for large amount of time. 90% of the top games are on both platforms and the cost of live is well worth it, the controllers are nice and people actually chat on xbox and you dont have to deal with people using $5 bluetooth mics from walmart.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
12 months of Live can be had for $40 if you watch. When I came to college I had a 360, being tight on money at the time I sold it and got a PS3. PS3 was cool for a while, even though I always hated Sony since the crap fat PS2 that would never read a disc... Straight up, the controller blows for shooters. I dont know what genius designed the lower triggers...but they suck. The trigger clip-on things are a must if you want to use the lower triggers and not have your finger slip off every time. Also, almost every shooter uses the L1-R1 to shoot/aim. If you come from Xbox, this is extremely different and hard to get used to and about 90% of the games dont allow you to change it.

Moving on...I stayed with PS3 until this year when PSN died for a month. There is absolutely no reason it should have been down for a MONTH, Sony was very slow at giving information to the public on what was going on and missed many promises of PSN being back online so I threw the PS3 onto ebay and came back to Xbox. Another thing, Sony has the worst design EVER for the AV cable. I need to use that cable for headphones and the thing has broken on every Sony system I have had. I sent it back in under warranty for the AV plug and because the HDD died and they sent it back without even looking at the AV plug.

I have seen PSN go down quite a few times since the month of downtime, ever since I have had Xbox Live I dont think it has ever been down for large amount of time. 90% of the top games are on both platforms and the cost of live is well worth it, the controllers are nice and people actually chat on xbox and you dont have to deal with people using $5 bluetooth mics from walmart.

PSN was purposely taken down for a month because hackers had compromised the servers and stolen user information. They took their time to ensure that it would never happen again. And after PSN came back online every existing user was given chance to download two PS3 games and two PSP games for free, as well as a thirty day subscription to PSN+.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
PSN was purposely taken down for a month because hackers had compromised the servers and stolen user information. They took their time to ensure that it would never happen again. And after PSN came back online every existing user was given chance to download two PS3 games and two PSP games for free, as well as a thirty day subscription to PSN+.

Yeah old PS3 games, PSN+ was just an advertisement to try to suck more people in and it shouldnt have been down for a month. They are a worldwide company, no excuse for that long of downtime.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I've owned both and I'm not a fan nor hater of sony or xbox. Right now I do have an xbox.

First, it depends on the games you like as both have some games that are only on that system (gears of war, halo, etc..).

As far as games I do play, Call of Duty, madden, etc.. I equally enjoyed on both campaign and online.

PS3 can be used as a bluray play. That's a plus. Online is free. Another plus, especially if more than one user. Can get pricey. If hard drive fails or you want to upgrade you can swap it out with another 2.5HD without needing a special ms case. Move needs way too many pieces. After the $99 bundle I still needed to spend like another $100 for the different types of controllers and camera mount.

Honestly I think PS3 has more to offer on the feature side and the online is definitely comparable. If I had to pick one it'd be PS3, but I mainly play call of duty and all my contacts I care about have both sys. So I just decided to switch it up and go xbox this year. Next year we'll see.

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
We asked

So we ended up asking them, they would rather wait another year or two to see what new may come out. However, they are interested in the PSP handhelds.

I am OK with getting them those, the question is does the PSP 3000 play PSP 1000 games? My wife found some PSP 3000's new on sale for as much as we can find PSP 1000's.

i reviewed online and I can't seem to find a clear cut answer.

Again, talking to a newbie with these gaming consoles.

Thanks for the input.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I am OK with getting them those, the question is does the PSP 3000 play PSP 1000 games? My wife found some PSP 3000's new on sale for as much as we can find PSP 1000's.

Yes. The model 3000 is just a hardware revision. It is thinner, has a brighter screen, improved analog nub, and a built-in microphone, but otherwise it is identical to the PSP model 1000 and as such will play all the same games.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

XBOX 360, plus you can get it for $139 today. That is much cheaper than a PS3.

Edit: Nevermind. I just saw the OP response.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So we ended up asking them, they would rather wait another year or two to see what new may come out. However, they are interested in the PSP handhelds.

Oh good choice, I was dead against the PSP for years but picked one up in 2007. Fantastic gaming device, I much prefer Nintendo games but I've played more on my PSP than anything else since 2005.

Yeah, the 3000 is a great model. It'll play all PSP disc and download games, and PS1 games bought from the download shop. With that model (and the 2000) it loads up disc games faster than the 1000, too.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Have two boys 12 and 13, their friends are split as to who has a PS3 and an XBOX, they like games on both systems and we do have a PS2 as of present with quite a few PS1 games left over. I know the 1 games won't play on the 3, but it looks like the 2 games will. Regardless, I will keep the PS2 for them

Which leads me to personally lean towards Xbox due to being less of a fan of Sony than Microsoft. Also from what i can tell is there have been problems with the PS3 online gaming?

Researching for Xmas gift for them and I am clueless about the new gaming systems. I have no problem doing my own research, just get others opinions to what and what not to look for.

And NO, I will not get a system for each one of them if someone decides to think that. Would I love to, yes, but not happening.

Thanks for any input
actually other way around. one games will play but 2 ones won't but you aren't really affected either way.

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Thanks for all the help

I want to thank everyone for all their input and thoughts.

This is one of the more friendly forums that I belong to and have learned much throughout all the topics that have been posted.

I hope all have a great and safe Holiday Season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.