Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This is big news. It will let more people upgrade to lion as well.

You could already do this. The problem is not the technical aspect, it's the licensing aspect.

----------

Smart move if they want Mac OS X Server to be taken seriously in the future. I would say at least half of the servers I work with are virtualized. Also, when writing server side software, we almost always get a VM image that we use rather than fussing with setting up a local machine.

This is a very smart move IMO.

Smart move wha... ? This has changed nothing at all, especially not in the server arena.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I never thought about that—I have a handful of Rosetta apps (mostly my own creations) that would be neat to run without booting a separate HD—and the time will come when my Mac can’t boot those older OS’s anyway.

Rosetta lives! (At the expense of a chunk of drive space.) It’s a niche need, but I’m glad to have it filled all the same.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Over what ? VMware are not the ones breaking the licensing by offering this. It's the user who installs the OS that does.

Apple are perpetual bullies, and will probably try to stop this, since they disapprove.

I for one, hope VMWare tells them to sod off and mind their own business. This is great functionality.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Apple are perpetual bullies, and will probably try to stop this, since they disapprove.

I for one, hope VMWare tells them to sod off and mind their own business. This is great functionality.

You seem to be pretty sure. How about waiting for Apple to actually do something before you lambast them ? Seem to me they are aware and just don't care according to the article. They stand on their licensing and position and that's it.

----------

I never thought about that—I have a handful of Rosetta apps (mostly my own creations) that would be neat to run without booting a separate HD—and the time will come when my Mac can’t boot those older OS’s anyway.

You must not have read the threads about Rosetta being removed from Lion then, it was mentionned over and over and over again in those. ;)

And it was also mentionned that this was already possible, that Virtual Box images were floating around on the 'net already.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Originally Posted by KnightWRX
Over what ? VMware are not the ones breaking the licensing by offering this. It's the user who installs the OS that does.

My iMac came with Snow Leopard (10.6.6), but i got Lion from up-to-date program. I think i have the right to use current-1 OS since i legally have current OS. At least for personal use there shouldn't be any legal issues.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
You seem to be pretty sure. How about waiting for Apple to actually do something before you lambast them ? Seem to me they are aware and just don't care according to the article. They stand on their licensing and position and that's it.

If so, fine. That would show them from a better side, and I would love for Apple to take on a more gentle approach to things not adhering completely to their every command.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
My iMac came with Snow Leopard (10.6.6), but i got Lion from up-to-date program. I think i have the right to use current-1 OS since i legally have current OS. At least for personal use there shouldn't be any legal issues.
Why are people so obsessed with the EULA? Just do whatever you want, nobody will sue you. There is no legal issue either way, the only legal issue is within yourself.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I wonder how hard Apple will sue them for this. Sadly.

I find it more likely that they were actually consulted about this and have at least unofficially lifted the restriction on virtualizing L.&SL.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Additional Advantage.

VMware Fusion is the only solution to control machines via USB using Windows on Mac. For instance, machines that run at labs and require a Windows application to collect data. Parallels Desktop fails on that: unexpected crashes, shut downs, etc.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

What you think is irrelevant to the EULA you agreed to. You will be in breach. It's not like Apple is going to sue you or anything over it, so all that's left is your conscience to deal with.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Very interesting. I wonder how hard Apple will sue them for this. Sadly.
This is definitely a concern. Apples shortsighted ultimate greed may quash this excellent new development. Yet again with Cook at the helm perhaps cooler heads with less fear will prevail. Jobs was terribly insecure, Cook as I understand it is not. Also as one who understands the benefits better, he may leave it stand as it is.

I'm forced to take a wait and see approach based on Apples very unpredictable moves in this early phase of Cooks rein. It's hard to tell what's coming directly from Cook, vs what remnants of Jobs "plans" he's still forced to carry out.

Time will tell.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
What you think is irrelevant to the EULA you agreed to. You will be in breach. It's not like Apple is going to sue you or anything over it, so all that's left is your conscience to deal with.

The EULA is just some worthless bits, nothing to do with law and digital rights. What is important is the local law.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I find it more likely that they were actually consulted about this and have at least unofficially lifted the restriction on virtualizing L.&SL.
Your position applies good common sense. A resource in woefully short supply amongst some execs at Apple.

I truly hope you're right :)

R2D2 xx

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Anymore need for hackintosh?

I've got a Mac Pro. Was going to do a custom PC next round. This is perfect, exactly what I needed.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Let's see if Apple turns a blind eye to this or asks VMWare to remove it. If they do the former, it could help spur adoption of Lion since people who need Quicken 2007 or another PowerPC application could still go ahead and purchase Lion or a new Mac.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple told VMWare they could go ahead and do this.

This is only good for Apple. It gives rosetta users an upgrade path; they can buy a new machine that only runs Lion, and still run their old apps.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
EULA violation? Really? Where?

As has been alluded to elsewhere (without reply), where in the Snow Leopard Client EULA does it exclude virtualization? I just reread the thing and found zero instances of the terms "virtual" or "virtualization," nor anything referring to virtualization as a violation of the EULA.

I also read the EULA for Lion and found the only explicit mention of virtualization as follows:

[You are allowed] (iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within
virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already
running the Apple Software.
The grant set forth in Section 2B(iii) above does not permit you to use the virtualized copies or instances of
the Apple Software in connection with service bureau, time-sharing, terminal sharing or other similar types of
services.

Fine. No problem.

The SL EULA prevents you from installing more than one copy of a given OS (unless you have a server, where multi-use is implicit) or a Family Pack (which I have anyway!).

Also fine. Also no problem. And if you virtualize SL with VMWare running on Lion, you're still in compliance with the EULAs of each OSs, having one installation each per OS.

I don't want to go running an OS that's unsupported, but I just can't find this exclusion that everyone's talking about. Someone please post where Apple Legal prohibits virtualizing SL in Lion. If it's gone (or was never really there) let's put this topic to bed.

-K

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Macception.png

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
As has been alluded to elsewhere (without reply), where in the Snow Leopard Client EULA does it exclude virtualization?

It doesn't have to explicitly. You have overlooked the clause early in the license that states that all rights are reserved unless otherwise stated. They are not required to exhaustively list everything one of the thousands of things you cannot do.

The license says that you can install and run one copy of the Apple system software on one computer. That pragmatically precludes any usage with Fusion (or Parallels) since they require a host OS.
[putting aside hypervisors for the moment.] The host OS of Fusion pegs you at the maximum limit outlined in the license.

The only "out" you get is that Apple allows the license to be upgraded with an software upgrade. Those who get Lion may loop their usage of the
subset of the "apple software" that is SL may be used with the upgradedd Lion license. Running without a Lion license is likely a problem.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Why are people so obsessed with the EULA? Just do whatever you want, nobody will sue you. There is no legal issue either way, the only legal issue is within yourself.

That's what i did in this case, but still DVD disc that came with my iMac won't work, since it works only on that iMac and VMware is not emulating iMac. So only non-server retail discs of Snow Leopard will work. I'm right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.