Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Sorry I've been a bit quiet with my MacRumors folding lately.

At the moment I'm just running a 2600k and an i7 860 for around 55k ppd.
My other systems are still crunching, but have been hijacked by other DC projects and folding teams.

However, just this morning I got a shiny new Z68 board, 2600k and 8GB to replace an ageing C2Q in an Antec Skeleton:

View attachment 312769
View attachment 312768

Also fitted a pair of GT430s so might just get these helping out MacRumors as well.

Thanks for sharing! Are you overclocking any? How's your power bill been?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Thanks for sharing! Are you overclocking any? How's your power bill been?

Yeah, the CPUs are all overclocked - Nothing mega, but the i7s over clock so easy it seems silly not to! The 2600k's are at ~4.5, the 860's at ~3.5.
The GPUs are factory overclocked versions - trying to do it manually in Linux is more hassle than its worth.

About the power bill - I daren't look! We only get the meter read once a year round here, so I might be in for a surprise!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yeah, the CPUs are all overclocked - Nothing mega, but the i7s over clock so easy it seems silly not to! The 2600k's are at ~4.5, the 860's at ~3.5.
The GPUs are factory overclocked versions - trying to do it manually in Linux is more hassle than its worth.

About the power bill - I daren't look! We only get the meter read once a year round here, so I might be in for a surprise!

4.5 ghz is pretty good! yeah i never mess with overclocking the GPUs.

oh i see. well lately my power bill has been kinda high, and i have a feeling this month will be high also. but once it starts getting really cold, it shouldn't be too much of a problem

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Running my ps3 almost 24/7 and

2008 Mac pro 1x2.8ghz Xeon with 4gb of ram also running non stop.

Been contemplating building another custom rig. I haven't built one since the pentium 4 came out.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Running my ps3 almost 24/7 and

2008 Mac pro 1x2.8ghz Xeon with 4gb of ram also running non stop.

Been contemplating building another custom rig. I haven't built one since the pentium 4 came out.

Nice. Yeah I've got my ps3 folding again.

I wonder how that Mac pro is folding. Are you running the console client?

Now is a good time to build! Youve got plenty of processor choices

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Nice. Yeah I've got my ps3 folding again.

I wonder how that Mac pro is folding. Are you running the console client?

Now is a good time to build! Youve got plenty of processor choices

Well was folding till an hour ago when the wife decided to turn on Netflix.

Running the client that's in system prefs not sure which that is. How can I see how it's doing?

Last I saw my score was at like 15k and it's been on the Mac pro since last weekend. Ps3 since Thursday though the ps3 wasn't on at night until last night. currently completed 17 WU

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Well was folding till an hour ago when the wife decided to turn on Netflix.

Running the client that's in system prefs not sure which that is. How can I see how it's doing?

Last I saw my score was at like 15k and it's been on the Mac pro since last weekend. Ps3 since Thursday though the ps3 wasn't on at night until last night. currently completed 17 WU

Well for Mac, you have 2 client choices: the preferences pane, and the console client.

The preferences pane is basically on or off, you don't have much control.

Th console client runs in the terminal, but you have more control. If setup properly, ther preferences pane can do everything.

The first thing, is do you have a passkey? If not, just search this thread - someone made a tutorial on how to get one. Once you get that, you need to configure your client with it so you can get bonus points

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Well for Mac, you have 2 client choices: the preferences pane, and the console client.

The preferences pane is basically on or off, you don't have much control.

Th console client runs in the terminal, but you have more control. If setup properly, ther preferences pane can do everything.

The first thing, is do you have a passkey? If not, just search this thread - someone made a tutorial on how to get one. Once you get that, you need to configure your client with it so you can get bonus points

Yep did the pass key when I setup last weekend. Sucks it's not supported on PS3 though.

I will look into switching to the console client tomorrow though I will be shutting everything down Wednesday night for my thanksgiving trip

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yep did the pass key when I setup last weekend. Sucks it's not supported on PS3 though.

I will look into switching to the console client tomorrow though I will be shutting everything down Wednesday night for my thanksgiving trip

okay glad you have the passkey.

well do you remember what arguments you put into the preferences pane? an example

Code:
-smp 8 -advmethods

i'm guessing our mac pro has 4 cores, and hyperthreading, so you could run the above on your mac.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
okay glad you have the passkey.

well do you remember what arguments you put into the preferences pane? an example

Code:
-smp 8 -advmethods

i'm guessing our mac pro has 4 cores, and hyperthreading, so you could run the above on your mac.

I've got -advmethods put in but not -smp 8 what's that one do?

Im torn between getting a second 2.8ghz processor upping the ram and adding an SSD or building a custom rig. I plan to do both but it's just a matter of which I do first. Either one will probably have to wait till after the new year

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I've got -advmethods put in but not -smp 8 what's that one do?

Im torn between getting a second 2.8ghz processor upping the ram and adding an SSD or building a custom rig. I plan to do both but it's just a matter of which I do first. Either one will probably have to wait till after the new year

-smp 8 tells it to use 8 cores.

i'm not sure how easy it would be to add another processor, but if it's easy, then i'd do that first

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
-smp 8 tells it to use 8 cores.

i'm not sure how easy it would be to add another processor, but if it's easy, then i'd do that first

Even though there are only 4 physical cores?

As simple as a new processor and swapping the dummy heat sink for a real one.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Even though there are only 4 physical cores?

As simple as a new processor and swapping the dummy heat sink for a real one.

yes, with hyperthreading, you have 8 logical cores. so if you add another, you'd use -smp 16

well if it's that easy, then i'd do that if you can get the other processor for a reasonable price

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
ok. let us know if it makes a difference.

In my search for a second heatsink I realized my Mac Pro(2008) does not have hyperthreading.

But I found I can get a second 2.8ghz processor for a little less than $100 and the heat sink for around $200. Just need to swallow the ram price almost $500 from OWC for 16gb

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
In my search for a second heatsink I realized my Mac Pro(2008) does not have hyperthreading.

But I found I can get a second 2.8ghz processor for a little less than $100 and the heat sink for around $200. Just need to swallow the ram price almost $500 from OWC for 16gb

oh that stinks.

do you really need that much RAM?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
oh that stinks.

do you really need that much RAM?

i used to use the mac pro for my photo/video needs. I started using my macbook pro instead about a year ago for most things though it is much slower a lot of my work is done on the road. The macbook pro doesn't seem to perform as great as it used to, if i add a second processor to the Mac Pro and an SSD i may start doing most of my work from home again. The only things i can do for the macbook pro are another 2gb of ram and an SSD though it being an original unibody I'm not sure if the expense is worth it

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I'm folding (BOINC) on a Supermicro workstation:

2x Xeon X5690 3.4GHz (12 cores x 2), 12GB RAM DDR3 ECC, LSI SAS RAID, 2x 15000 RPM SAS HDD, nvidia Quadro 2000

Last edited:

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places

2x Xeon X5690 3.4GHz (12 cores x 2), 12GB RAM DDR3 ECC, LSI SAS RAID, 2x 15000 RPM SAS HDD, nvidia Quadro 2000

Folding@home has a BOINC project? Pretty sure there isn't one.:confused: We would love to have you Folding instead with a rig like that!:D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

Nice! Do you use that machine for anything else?

Folding@home has a BOINC project? Pretty sure there isn't one.:confused: We would love to have you Folding instead with a rig like that!:D

Yes we would!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I build it for Maya but ended up using it mostly for .net development.
When it's not in use I let it crunch for the milkyway project.

oh okay.

well i don't know if you've looked at folding@home, but it is a good cause. we'd love to have you folding for us. let us know if you decide to join and need any help :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.