Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sprint_logo-150x63.jpg

Sprint has released a new television commercial for the iPhone, pushing its unlimited data plan as an advantage over its rivals.
There are over half a million apps and counting on the iPhone. Apps that can take you anywhere, do anything. You might say there's no limit to what this amazing device can do. So the question to ask is, "Why would anyone want to limit the iPhone?" We don't.

Truly unlimited data for you iPhone...only from Sprint.
The ad does not specifically promote the iPhone 4S, with the carrier instead opting to focus on the generic iPhone line given that it offers both the iPhone 4S and the new 8 GB iPhone 4 that serves as a low-end option priced at $99 on contract.

Both AT&T and Verizon initially offered unlimited data plans for the iPhone but have since transitioned to tiered plans, although customers on those carriers who had previously signed up for unlimited plans have been allowed to keep them.

Article Link: Sprint Touts Unlimited Data in New iPhone Ad

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Cool advertisement. I personally liked the "Charts" advertisement better though despite their inaccurate representation of their speeds.
Sprint%20ROkcs%20(570%20x%20321).jpg

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Good for them. I have Verizon's sort-of-unlimited-but-at-some-point-throttled data and it is what it is. Always good to see even one company doing something more honest.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
A bad buffet is still bad even if you're free to eat as much as you want.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
But you know what? At least there's food to eat. Unless you're launching some new company offering data-filet-mignon in the manner you long for, I think Sprint is doing comparatively well.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well at least they're trying to entice customers, just like trying to cut the Thanksgiving turkey, it may not always turn out good.

I'm happy I still have my AT&T unlimited plan and a tower less than a mile away.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

A bad buffet with no limit is better than a bad buffet with a limit. AT&T claims it has the fastest speeds, but its network is so crowded that I often have connectivity issues.

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Sure it's unlimited data. But it's kind of hard to come anywhere close to using a descent amount of that data if their network is freakin' SLOW!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
AT&T claims it has the fastest speeds, but its network is so crowded that I often have connectivity issues.

That can be true of any carrier; it all depends on your location and how many people are accessing the network there.

In my case, AT&T is the fastest and most reliable in my area. I've tested 3G cards from all three major carriers here and AT&T was the best, hams down.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
If only...

If only they would provide good service (coverage), this would actually attract even the informed customer. Sadly, out in the boons, you have to go with AT&T or Verizon. Even T-Mobile is better here. I know from experience - work phone Sprint, private phone Verizon, iPad AT&T, and before I had Verizon, I used T-Mobile.

Just a funny but true story on the side: My sister had back in the days the brand-new Motorola Razors (her and her husband) from Verizon. They lived out in a small community about 15 miles from the Army post. When they took the phones home, there was not enough signal. So she called Verizon and stated she has to cancel her contracts. Verizon asked very specifically where they lived. The supervisor called back about an hour later and asked if they could hang in there for a week - Verizon will put up a new mast to close the gap they apparently have there. It might have been a coincident and they were planning it all along, but it might not have been. The community there is growing since with new schools, a lot of new housing and Verizon might have been just ahead of the game there.

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I love the constant sprint bashing. Coverage and speeds are all subjective depending on where you live. So to say the service as a whole is crappy is not really fair.

I have sprint and yea my data speeds may not be as fast as AT&T or Verizon, I've always had sprint so these are the speeds I'm used to and now that I have the 4S everything is an improvement as far as I'm concerned.

Down here in south Florida all the carriers seem to have good coverage.

As always your results may vary.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Haters are gonna hate

I am VERY happy with 4s on Sprint, yes it is a bit slower than Verizon but it is NOT 'unusable' as some Verizon and AT&T customers like to think. I get excellent coverage (and I travel constantly between three states: NY, NJ, and PA - and you bet I am streaming Pandora while driving), I get UNLIMITED data (just this past month 3 GB) with a consistent speed, and no dropped call.

And, I don't get raped when the monthly bill comes.

But hey, to each their own

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
have to say at least there offering unlimited data if it is truly unlimited then speed should not be of issue

justski

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
sprint rocks where i live

it all depends on where you live. this has been said before, but i just want to defend sprint against the haters a little bit. i had an att iphone 4 and switched back to sprint and have the 4S now. my sprint iphone is faster than my 4 on att ever was as far as internet goes. i commute an hour each way and i have never dropped a call and i stream pandora and other apps the entire time. so, if you are trying to decide what to get, do some tests. don't just bash sprint because you have heard stories. it is very dependent on where you are located.

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seriously everyone can we just stop and thinking about this for a min. This isn't a problem with sprint's network being slow per se it about the way the iPhone connects and interacts with that carriers network. They'll fix this in a software update.
Case in point: at my work we have all three kinds of carriers and when loading a netflix movie (same movie) the sprint droid destroyed both my Att iP4 and Att ip4S and a verizon ip4. We got a good 5 mins into the movie on the sprint phone before the other phones loaded! (we had forgotten we were testing at all)

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Sprint's a joke

They could give me an iPhone4s and an iPad with unlimited data and free calling plan and I would laugh in their dropped call faces. Better focus some of that energy in better service rather than marketing ploys. As for subjective nonsense that's a weak argument. The only way I would take the "depends on where you are" blah blah, is if they charged me commensurate with the quality of service I was getting. If I have to pay the same as someone who has no issues with the network, then I would expect to get the same quality they do.

Last edited:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I am VERY happy with 4s on Sprint, yes it is a bit slower than Verizon but it is NOT 'unusable' as some Verizon and AT&T customers like to think. I get excellent coverage (and I travel constantly between three states: NY, NJ, and PA - and you bet I am streaming Pandora while driving), I get UNLIMITED data (just this past month 3 GB) with a consistent speed, and no dropped call.

And, I don't get raped when the monthly bill comes.

But hey, to each their own

Agree 100%. I also live and work in the NY, NJ, PA area and if my data speeds are slow I can't tell. Everything I do on my iPhone works fine. Whether listening to Spotify or watching Netflix while wifey shops my experience has been nothing but great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.