Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
So I have an iPhone 4 running 5.01. have had zero problems in fact battery life seems to be very good after update. Now I have a syncing issue. I have been syncing my iPhone over wi-fi with no problems then all of a sudden iTunes doesn't recognize my phone and wants me to either set up as new or restore from back-up. I restore from backup from my latest one and it keeps asking me to do it again. What the Poo? Any ideas?

macbookproyes

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
So I have an iPhone 4 running 5.01. have had zero problems in fact battery life seems to be very good after update. Now I have a syncing issue. I have been syncing my iPhone over wi-fi with no problems then all of a sudden iTunes doesn't recognize my phone and wants me to either set up as new or restore from back-up. I restore from backup from my latest one and it keeps asking me to do it again. What the Poo? Any ideas?

It's interesting that I'm having an iphone "sync" issue as well. The form mine takes is that I'm recently using a new macbook pro (that I used time machine to move all my data over with) and I also have a new iphone 4s, and I get this message when trying to download from my computer to my iphone an app (Skype in this case).

The message I get from itunes is that I need to "Authorize the computer" and I do it via clicking the Store and then click to Authorize the computer. So, I've found those links and I've actually tried doing that now a few time and what comes back is that "this computer has already been authorized" and that this is 3 out of 5 computers that i have to be able to authorize on or some message like that.

Can anyone help with that? It's the strangest thing... I have previously had Skype downloaded, it shows on my apps list when I'm looking at itunes and can see which ones are clicked the snych over. Skype is there but when I click & checkmark that box and click SYNC then that message comes up and it stops trying to download.

IRONICALLY, I have actually BOUGHT new apps like GPS and such and HAVE downloaded on to my iphone now problem. So WHY OH WHY won't it allow an old app like Skype that is on my list to download?

Thanks for any help!

Phil

jojokwan

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
IRONICALLY, I have actually BOUGHT new apps like GPS and such and HAVE downloaded on to my iphone now problem. So WHY OH WHY won't it allow an old app like Skype that is on my list to download?

Thanks for any help!

Phil

The iCloud only remember apps that purchased AFTER iOS 5. I guess the Skype app purchased before you update the phone to iOS 5, so apple do not remember that for u.

macbookproyes

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
The iCloud only remember apps that purchased AFTER iOS 5. I guess the Skype app purchased before you update the phone to iOS 5, so apple do not remember that for u.

Yeah Icloud won't remember since it's not only pre 5.01 it's from a ways back like over a year ago I think.

What might some solutions I could try be? Maybe there is a way I could uninstall Skype from my itunes list of apps that are on my computer and the re-download fresh? It seems the very recent apps I've downloaded like Magellan work just fine. I even accidentally deleted Magellan when I experimented with the Revert function. Then, after it was erased off of the iphone I clicked to reinstall it and clicked Sync... so in that the Magellan then got re-copied back over to my iphone working just fine but the Skype did not!

Hmmmm I did at one point download it and put it over to my old droid phone... maybe it's not that it woudln't copy because the "computer wasn't verified' or something but more so that it was a 'Skype for PC based Droid phone?" Hmmm I'll check it out... any ideas appreciated.

thanks,
phil

macbookproyes

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Yeah Icloud won't remember since it's not only pre 5.01 it's from a ways back like over a year ago I think.

What might some solutions I could try be? Maybe there is a way I could uninstall Skype from my itunes list of apps that are on my computer and the re-download fresh? It seems the very recent apps I've downloaded like Magellan work just fine. I even accidentally deleted Magellan when I experimented with the Revert function. Then, after it was erased off of the iphone I clicked to reinstall it and clicked Sync... so in that the Magellan then got re-copied back over to my iphone working just fine but the Skype did not!

Hmmmm I did at one point download it and put it over to my old droid phone... maybe it's not that it woudln't copy because the "computer wasn't verified' or something but more so that it was a 'Skype for PC based Droid phone?" Hmmm I'll check it out... any ideas appreciated.

thanks,
phil

Ok yeah, well I figured it out...i'm at a place with good wifi and so I finally just logged on to the wifi network here and downloaded skype directly on the iphone so it's working like a charm now. Now after re-synching with itunes after the direct download the Skype icon on my ituns shows that kind of faded ghost color instead of vibrant normal app color. I think what it was is that the Skype version I had before was one i had downloaded for my Droid that I had for the last year.

Learn something everyday!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Okay let's get back to my original issue.

Agreed. I also have the same issue and found that others on the Apple Support Community do too. The only thing I've read was to set up as new and unplug it immediately. o_O

I honestly figured 10.5.1 was going to fix it, but it hasn't. I have noticed however that I usually only see it when my iPhone is set sync via WiFi instead of USB.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I have had this problem and discovered this recommendation here that worked for me:
http://www.fettesps.com/how-to-fix-itunes-set-up-your-iphone-error/

That is, select "set up as a new phone" which seemingly only provides you with the option (not requirement) to rename the phone, then the phone will sync happily, as if nothing had happened!

That's good to know. I turned on WiFi sync a couple of days ago and BAM, I got the restore option almost immediately.

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Agreed. I also have the same issue and found that others on the Apple Support Community do too. The only thing I've read was to set up as new and unplug it immediately. o_O

I honestly figured 10.5.1 was going to fix it, but it hasn't. I have noticed however that I usually only see it when my iPhone is set sync via WiFi instead of USB.

Not to up this thread, but I had to think HazyCloud for the above suggestion. I was faced with the exact same problem as the OP today, except it was with my iPad 2. However, when I set-up as new everything went back to normal. So, thanks a lot because I was really worried.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Not to up this thread, but I had to think HazyCloud for the above suggestion. I was faced with the exact same problem as the OP today, except it was with my iPad 2. However, when I set-up as new everything went back to normal. So, thanks a lot because I was really worried.

No problem. I appreciate you coming back to thank me. You don't see that very often. +1 to you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.