Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

big_fish_games_logo-150x150.jpg

Bloomberg reports that Apple has opened up a new class of App Store offerings, allowing game publisher Big Fish Games to offer a monthly subscription package that will allow provide users with access to a number of the company's games through a dedicated iPad app [App Store].
The setup is similar to Netflix Inc. (NFLX)'s streaming application for the iPad. Subscribers can get unlimited access to games such as "Mystery Case Files" and the "Mahjong Towers" series from inside the Big Fish app.

Games played through the subscription service, which are streamed to a user's iPad from Big Fish's data centers, will initially require Wi-Fi access to play.
The standard package from Big Fish Games will launch as a $4.99 monthly subscription, increasing to $6.99 per month early next year as more game titles become available for the app. A free ad-supported option limiting play to 30 minutes per day will also be available.

Update: Big Fish Games has put out a press release announcing the new subscription service.
With Big Fish's Play Instantly!, anyone with a Wi-Fi internet connection can launch and begin playing any game in the catalog within seconds. The service is free for a limited time each day, or available as an unlimited, full-screen experience with access to all of the games in the service via a monthly subscription. As these games run in the cloud, Play Instantly! users can play games immediately with no additional download or installation process. Each player's progress for each game is saved in the cloud, allowing them to pick up where they left off regardless of the device they are using. Players can jump into any game, exit out and later pick up where they left off on the same device they started on, or on any other supported device.
Initially available only in the U.S., the new service currently offers dozens of games, with new games added every week. The company is planning an expansion to several hundred titles and new Android, Mac, and PC platforms by next year.

Article Link: Apple to Allow iOS Subscription Gaming Services in App Store [Updated]

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Who games enough on an iDevice to pay for this? And heck, you could buy a ton of better games with that money.

pic620

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Killadelphia
hmmm.... future Nintendo options? I'd pay $100 to have access to an app where i could further purchase Nintendo games. It would help mitigate the concern of not having the hardware revenue that they refuse to give up. basically pay the price you normally would for a DS or Wii or whatever, so that offsets the hardware price - and from there you can purchase their games. some people would probably find it outrageous, taking advantage of the system and too much money - but I'd love it. and I would absolutely pay a high 'entrance fee' to get official Nintendo games (or whatever game company that doesn't want to give up hardware control) on my iPad.

1goodidea

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
It does seem like a strange model for games unless it gives access to a lot of games (and I mean a lot).

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Well. Subscription movies. Subscription TV. Subscription music. Subscription news.

Subscription gaming is kind of late to the party.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Why? To me it seems to be a natural step towards cloud 'gaming', just like everything from your documents to your music to your movies is moving to some sort of cloud.

Steve Jobs wasn't in favor of subscription/rental services. He always pushed for the users' "ownership" of content, although he did bend a bit with movies and print media.

This move isn't about the cloud, it's about securing recurring revenue, and probably appeasing developers and keeping them from defecting to other platforms.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
hmmm.... future Nintendo options? I'd pay $100 to have access to an app where i could further purchase Nintendo games. It would help mitigate the concern of not having the hardware revenue that they refuse to give up. basically pay the price you normally would for a DS or Wii or whatever, so that offsets the hardware price - and from there you can purchase their games. some people would probably find it outrageous, taking advantage of the system and too much money - but I'd love it. and I would absolutely pay a high 'entrance fee' to get official Nintendo games (or whatever game company that doesn't want to give up hardware control) on my iPad.

I'm confused.... you would pay $100 just for an app to let your purchase Nintendo games... ??? Just the app itself??? Instead of buying hardware for about the same price where the games would perform better with physical controls??? Some games are fun on a touch screen, but virtual joy sticks can stick themselves somewhere the sun doesn't shine, IMO.
I think that's a bit extreme too... and it's not about hardware control anyway. It's about locking you into their echo system: games, accessories, downloads, ad ons, etc. so you stay loyal to a platform. If Nintendo felt differently, they'd just publish legacy titles on the Xbox 360. Especially if a new device can still play your old titles, it's even more of a win. (Sorry Sony. The backwards compatibility thing did hurt you in the end.)

Though I think if you are patient, (at least a few years patient), Nintendo isn't going to have a choice in the matter anymore, at least for hand held gaming as it's starting to die a fast yet slow death. They need another year of being bent over the stock exchange sell counters for poor financial performance before they'll swallow their pride, but I expect someday you'll see Nintendo port games to IOS and Android if only out of desperation for revenue.
----------

More on topic with the post, I don't quite get the concept of streaming games to a tablet. Road trips anyone?

The bulk of that companies games are cheap titles to begin with. THey are the kinds of games you tire of and take long breaks from, so maybe it would keep some people vested in their brand and trying new things. But in the course of a year, you could have just purchased the stand alone games for less money.

This would be a good model for a company like Zynga though, whose games rely on virtual goods purchases to make money.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
MacAddict1978 said:
This would be a good model for a company like Zynga though, whose games rely on virtual goods purchases to make money.

I agree. For example, if you had a Farmville-type game, agree to a subscription of $5 per month and get their virtual currency worth $10 every month. I think a lot of people would go for that.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Why? To me it seems to be a natural step towards cloud 'gaming', just like everything from your documents to your music to your movies is moving to some sort of cloud.

We will no longer be limited by the storage capacity of our devices, 8GB iPhone owners will have access to the same amount of content as 64GB iPhone owners.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Anyway .... this sounds more expensive in the long run than the "traditional" method of purchasing apps.

Agreed. Same reason I can't stand the micro-transaction games. Like playing a free iOS pets games vs Nintendogs. One you buy once, the other you have to buy virtual food for your dog for the rest of your life if you want to keep playing.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Stand alone games are better for the developers. This is a step backwards in the massive leap forwards away from the need for publishers.

pic620

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Killadelphia
I'm confused.... you would pay $100 just for an app to let your purchase Nintendo games... ??? Just the app itself??? Instead of buying hardware for about the same price where the games would perform better with physical controls??? Some games are fun on a touch screen, but virtual joy sticks can stick themselves somewhere the sun doesn't shine, IMO.
I think that's a bit extreme too... and it's not about hardware control anyway. It's about locking you into their echo system: games, accessories, downloads, ad ons, etc. so you stay loyal to a platform. If Nintendo felt differently, they'd just publish legacy titles on the Xbox 360. Especially if a new device can still play your old titles, it's even more of a win. (Sorry Sony. The backwards compatibility thing did hurt you in the end.)

Though I think if you are patient, (at least a few years patient), Nintendo isn't going to have a choice in the matter anymore, at least for hand held gaming as it's starting to die a fast yet slow death. They need another year of being bent over the stock exchange sell counters for poor financial performance before they'll swallow their pride, but I expect someday you'll see Nintendo port games to IOS and Android if only out of desperation for revenue.
----------

More on topic with the post, I don't quite get the concept of streaming games to a tablet. Road trips anyone?

The bulk of that companies games are cheap titles to begin with. THey are the kinds of games you tire of and take long breaks from, so maybe it would keep some people vested in their brand and trying new things. But in the course of a year, you could have just purchased the stand alone games for less money.

yes, yes I would. and I'm not the only one either, I bet theres more people than you might believe who would be willing to pay a premium access fee. I got 2 dislikes, which were pointless bc like I said in the post itself, there are other people who would find the idea rediculous. but the reason for saying it was envisioning a method in which the games could be brought to the platform and still appease Nintendo's apprehension about it. I don't think Nintendo will ever port their games to ios or android without some seriousss cash for them. don't expect to be getting Super Smash for $10-$20. try $60 at least. the idea for an 'access fee' of sorts was an idea for how to get the games to the system NOW - not that I believe it's likely - it was just an idea. I expected someone to object to it. Also, I don't believe Nintendo is going to bring any titles to other platforms unless both it's portable gaming market and it's console market tank. which won't happen. the portable market disappearing completely isnt exactly a garuntee. I saw a CNET article about kid's top asked for christmas presents. right underneath Apple's products (iPad iPhone iPod) was Nintendo's 3DS. I wouldn't count them out yet. and even if they lost a handheld market, they wouldn't sell their brand so long as they had a console. and they will always have a console.

so yeah, I would pay that much just to have access to their titles on iOS. or, even better - if the details were hammered out with apple - to sell an over-priced hardware attachment for apple devices where their games from the app store will only work with that hardware. Its probably against the App Store rules and all, but if Apple got Nintendo to sign an exclusivity deal with them - a special exception would probably be in both of their interests.

just ideas. that I'd welcome. I can understand they don't want to give up profits, or just become a game making company. I'd be willing to respect that in order to get Pokemon on my iPhone, Zelda on my iPad, and Mario Kart in my Apple TV.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Please, $6 a month for access to a whole lousy library of games versus $1 per game that you can cherry pick the best of, and keep for as long as you use iOS devices?

No one would seriously consider that price, would they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.