Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

steve_jobs_book_cover-150x227.jpg
Last month, it was reported that Sony Pictures was courting Aaron Sorkin to write the screenplay for the movie version of Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs. Sorkin, who is famous for his work on The West Wing, The Social Network, Moneyball, and A Few Good Men, has been seen as a strong contender for the job and already worked with Sony on another tech story with The Social Network.

E! Online now reports that Sorkin has publicly addressed the rumors, noting that he is "strongly considering" taking on the screenplay.
"Sony has asked me to write the movie and it's something I'm strongly considering," Sorkin told us at the P.S. Arts Express Yourself 2011 event in Santa Monica.

"Right now I'm just in the thinking-about-it stages," he said. "It's a really big movie and it's going to be a great movie no matter who writes it."
While work on the screenplay is obviously yet to get underway, rumors have suggested that George Clooney and Noah Wyle are leading contenders to play the role of Steve Jobs. Wyle previously portrayed Jobs in the 1999 made-for-TV film Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Article Link: Aaron Sorkin 'Strongly Considering' Writing Screenplay for Steve Jobs Movie

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I disagree with this statement: "It's a really big movie and it's going to be a great movie no matter who writes it."

The wrong writer could really screw it up. It is a really big movie and it's going to take a very talented and thoughtful writer to make it great.

CaptainCannabis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
And what about letting the dead rest in peace?

Oh, of course filthy sony greed - as of today anything that involves SJ turns into gold, they know that a few years from now it might not be like that.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
First: Please choose Noah, it's the obvious choice and he met Steve.

Second: Reference more than just his biography, especially as Woz is still around, along with Sculley and the gang. The book is flawed, so would the movie, sadly.

mallocip

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006
Seriously...

Ashton Kutcher really has the look that is needed to pull off playing Jobs.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

James Caveizel should play Steve Jobs.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sorkin is one of the best writers in the history of tv and film. I think this story is the perfect backdrop for the writing he does best. I really hope he decides to do it.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

villanova329 said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

James Caveizel should play Steve Jobs.

This is a compelling choice. I have really become a big Jim cavizel fan and already played Jesus so why not God?

Last edited by a moderator:

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
The movie will be watched by the 25,000 Fanboys and that's it...so 99% sure it won't be a movie you spend $12 at a theater for.

Who wants to watch a movie about Steve Jobs?! Maybe a 2-hour Made For TV Special on Lifetime. And the actors and not-so-quite-factual-statements will be terrible as usual.

A 1-2 hour Biography special is probably the best bet for any kind of Jobs biography viewed on a tv.

MacDuff2000

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Plano, TX
Sony is a competitor to Apple. There are some interesting corporate strategies they could use here.

Also, Jobs was a public figure. Anyone can make a movie about him. What's stopping other studios from coming up with their own movie first?

mkruck

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
San Antonio, TX
The movie will be watched by the 25,000 Fanboys and that's it...so 99% sure it won't be a movie you spend $12 at a theater for.

Who wants to watch a movie about Steve Jobs?! Maybe a 2-hour Made For TV Special on Lifetime. And the actors and not-so-quite-factual-statements will be terrible as usual.

A 1-2 hour Biography special is probably the best bet for any kind of Jobs biography viewed on a tv.

The Voice of Reason speaks. I, for one, thank you. :)

mwayne85

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
"It's a really big movie and it's going to be a great movie no matter who writes it."

It DOES matter who writes it. Steve deserves a truly great screenwriter. Not someone who will hack it together. And Sorkin is more than worthy of writing this.

Brazzy

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
just watched social network again last night. I think sorkin could make this into a damn good movie.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Sorkin is one of the best writers in the history of tv and film. I think this story is the perfect backdrop for the writing he does best. I really hope he decides to do it.

Sorkin would be an outstanding choice. He's got the talent, has done a film dealing with the tech industry, knows how to "write for actors", does great dialog, just so many things perfect about his involvement.

Christan Bale.

Bale definitely favors SJ a bit and I'm sure would throw himself into the role (mentally and physically). He also has a terrific intensity, that he can focus internally as needed.

Very interesting choice, and I suspect he'd be interested too based on interviews I've read (not anything specific about SJ, just the kind of roles he'd like to explore).

Sean4000

Suspended
Aug 11, 2010
I think it would be pretty cool if they could somehow reuse footage in the new film from POSV. As time goes by it's gonna get harder and harder to find functioning computers from that time period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.