Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Ok, I've got loads of pictures in Aperture. They're all .raw and there are versions of them. These are amateur photographs of family and so on, taken mostly with D90 and shot in RAW. Also there are some videos in there.

About a year ago my wife and I switched to using iPhoto. We both find Aperture to be a huge pain to work in, it's reasonably fast and has good features, but to do anything seems obtuse and frustrating and requires a lot of hotkeys. Why it can't have the interface of iPhoto and features of Aperture, I don't know.. would be great.

But I'm not here to complain about Aperture. What I want is to get those photos OUT OF Aperture and IN TO iPhoto in the cleanest manner possible. Google has some info on doing this, but I'm also looking for some guidance:

- Having the RAW shots is fairly important. But I won't die if they must be converted. I fully understand the issues of lossless vs lossy but am starting to wonder how much it's going to matter 20 years from now. The library is about 100GB? There are a ton of snapshots, never delete anything just flag them in Aperture to be hidden. Space is cheap and all but soon enough we'll have like 1TB of junk and eventually it will become ridiculous.
- MOST of our large files nowadays are video from iPhone (4). Is there a very high quality transcode that I can do to get these sizes down? Or is the space savings minimal or quality drop noticeable?
- Many of the kept pictures generally have a touched up version. Should I keep the touch-up and the original? Is this easy?
- What is the EASIEST way to achieve these things and to get the pictures in to iPhoto without creating a mess? I've got some 'decent' organization within Aperture. Export one album at a time maybe?

What should I do? I've been wrestling this problem for several months now, and am playing computer-musical-chairs this week so while moving files around it seems to be a perfect time to cut loose from Aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.