Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A day before the start of the holiday shopping season, Apple has posted a new iPod Touch TV ad to its YouTube page titled "Share The Fun".
With iMessage, Game Center, FaceTime and more, you can share the fun on iPod Touch.
By showing teenagers using the iPod Touch to play and communicate with their friends, Apple seems to be advertising the iPod Touch to parents as an alternative to smartphones with expensive data plans.

Article Link: Apple Posts New iPod Touch TV Ad: Share The Fun

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I liked the ad. Reminded me of the past iPod touch ads that were fun and made you want to get one right away. :)

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I agree that it looks like an Urban Outfitter ad. I don't think Steve would like this. Then again, maybe he approved it.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
oh

Guess I'm too old and not enough of a hippy to own one. Gotta sell my Touch now. Oh well, it was a good run.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I agree that it looks like an Urban Outfitter ad. I don't think Steve would like this. Then again, maybe he approved it.

I'm pretty sure the ad took at least a month to create from Apple's request to whichever agency to actually being aired on television.

Its probable it was in the works when steve was still alive.

----------

Also, to add my 2 cents, at the 3-5 second mark you can see a difference in the white balance between the dude walking and the girl sitting. It seems like they skipped polishing up that transition.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Also, to add my 2 cents, at the 3-5 second mark you can see a difference in the white balance between the dude walking and the girl sitting. It seems like they skipped polishing up that transition.

i think they did that on purpose to portray a wall, instead of him just disappearing?

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Oh cool I posted this in the iPod touch forum even before you posted it. How do you submit things to macrumors?

slope

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
This is new?

"By showing teenagers using the iPod Touch to play and communicate with their friends, Apple seems to be advertising the iPod Touch to parents as an alternative to smartphones with expensive data plans"

LOL... for the last few generations of the iPod, the marketing has been aimed at teenagers. If you look at the Facetime images on the Store. iPod images are teens, iPhone have been 20 to 30 somethings.

The subliminal message has been....... iPod touch is for youth.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Would've been much cooler if the person typed "omw" instead of "on my way" in 0:23 to show the new iOS 5 keyboard shortcut feature.

"By showing teenagers using the iPod Touch to play and communicate with their friends, Apple seems to be advertising the iPod Touch to parents as an alternative to smartphones with expensive data plans"

LOL... for the last few generations of the iPod, the marketing has been aimed at teenagers. If you look at the Facetime images on the Store. iPod images are teens, iPhone have been 20 to 30 somethings.

The subliminal message has been....... iPod touch is for youth.
It is the truth, not just a subliminal message.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere

Interesting that the iPod appeared to have a yellow tinted screen. (the greys certainly looked that way)

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007

Weirdly I might send a link of this to my dads email so he can message me for free in the uk (he doesn't get contracts)

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
I'm actually a teen, and I thought that was a really awesome ad. :) It was new, fresh, and trendy in my opinion. They showed off the new white iPod touch a ton, which is super popular in iPhones and iPod touches at my school and stuff.

Plus they showed off FaceTime and iMessage a lot, which everyone with iPods (4th gen) and iPhones (4 or 4S) use all time. I kinda want one of the white ones actually... ;)

These things will fly off the shelves this Christmas, no problem. :)

P.S. This commercial surprised me when I was watching the Lions game today since it's so much different than most Apple commercials...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.