Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SethRogen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I received my 15' inch Macbook Pro exactly 14 days ago from today.

So here's what happened. I'm visiting family during Thanksgiving. My older cousin and I were playing Halo: Reach and my 9-year old cousin wanted to play. Well he got really impatient and started screaming, and the little brat took my brand new Macbook Pro and dropped it right on the ground (but it fell on a rug) and closed right shut.

As you can imagine, I am super pissed right now.

There are two dents, right side of the screen (aluminum), and bottom right of where the keyboard lies, but on the aluminum, and scratches where the dents are. He dropped my laptop when it was open. :(

I bought the extended warrenty. Would this be covered by my warranty and be able to fix it?

SethRogen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
applecare doesnt cover ill-mannered kids. go buy a speck case and try to forget about it.

WTF? Why isn't it covered?

I literally received this 14 days ago so I'm really angry...

----------

And how much does it usually cost to fix?

----------

How much does it cost to fix? I called Apple tech. support, and they didn't know nor knew it was covered or not?

GTANJ

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011

----------

----------

How much does it cost to fix? I called Apple tech. support, and they didn't know nor knew it was covered or not?

It is not covered because Apple is not responsible for people being careless with their products. It will probably cost a lot more to fix it then to just forget about it, as long as everything still works fine.

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
Why would it be covered?
Apple would have to pay many millions just because their customers can't take care of their products. Try to throw your TV out the windows and call the company and ask them for a refund.

SethRogen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I think you'd have to buy a new screen and a new case. I don't know about the price but quite a lot, especially the screen.

It's not the screen, it's around it. Corner/sidelines.

Would it be more than $400?

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Same reason when you buy a car and the same kid rides his bike into the side of it and dents the door, the manufacturers dont cover it under warranty.

----------

----------

chuffman15

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Martinsburg, WV
its gonna be expensive. you would need a whole unibody. that cant be cheap and only apple would have them. then when you got it, you would have to take the thing completly apart. id call foxconn.:D
im sure ifixit has a teardown.
id break that kids fingers and then go after the kids parents

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
screen is a sealed unit, so regardless that it's only the aluminium that's dented, they have to swap the whole thing. It would have cost me £400 in the UK for a screen replacement last year, had Apple not fixed it as a good will gesture, seeing as how I was about a month out of warranty.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
its gonna be expensive. you would need a whole unibody. that cant be cheap and only apple would have them. then when you got it, you would have to take the thing completly apart. id call foxconn.:D
im sure ifixit has a teardown.
id break that kids fingers and then go after the kids parents

yup, hand it to you aunt and uncle and tell them they jsut bought a MBP

happle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
damn that sucks man. i would be ****ing livid. but i would ask your aunt and uncle to pay...did the little kid pick it up and drop it on purpose? if so they should definitely pay. my guess is it would cost around $700 to fix. post some pics of it though so we can see.

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011

I literally received this 14 days ago so I'm really angry
You should be really angry with the spoiled brat relative of yours, not Apple. The vast majority of warranties never cover accidental damage or abuse. Nor should they.

That's like expecting Ford to pay for repairs to your car after your wife wrapped it around a pole.

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006

----------

----------

14 days, a month, 6 months, a year, 5 years...what's the difference? It wasn't Apple's fault that your cousin threw your laptop to the ground.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

So here's what happened. I'm visiting family during Thanksgiving. My older cousin and I were playing Halo: Reach and my 9-year old cousin wanted to play. Well he got really impatient and started screaming, and the little brat took my brand new Macbook Pro and dropped it right on the ground (but it fell on a rug) and closed right shut.

There are two dents, right side of the screen (aluminum), and bottom right of where the keyboard lies, but on the aluminum, and scratches where the dents are. He dropped my laptop when it was open. :(

I bought the extended warrenty. Would this be covered by my warranty and be able to fix it?

The extended warranty only covers MANUFACTURING defects. It does not matter that you just bought it. Tell the kids parents to buy you a new one. If you bought a car and crashed it would dodge replace it?

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011

You really have to ask this question? Sounds like you don't know what a warranty is.

Now, if you just want to know whether Apple will fix it - yes they will. But you will pay for the repair.

Last edited:

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
get the little brat's parents to cough up a new laptop. tell them he fkd t up and its not not just dented but broken. i hate kids and the parents who let them do whatever they want without any punishment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.