Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4s_china_telecom_banner.jpg

Penn-Olson reports that China Telecom has begin posting large iPhone 4S promotional banners in its retail stores, teasing a debut for the device without revealing a launch date.
Telecom sources told Sina Tech that the photos circulating online -- like the one here -- are indeed actual photos of local China Telecom offices, but that the posters were clearly designed just to "get attention" and don't indicate Telecom was about to start selling the phone yet, though they will sell it eventually.
The iPhone 4S has yet to officially appear for sale in China, even at Apple's existing carrier partner, China Unicom, which ranks as the second largest mobile carrier in the country.

China Mobile, the world's largest carrier, and China Telecom, the country's #3 carrier, have been working hard to land the iPhone for several years. China Telecom had reportedly geared up for a $234 million marketing push for what was then thought to possibly appear as the iPhone 5, but no official announcement from Apple or China Telecom regarding an expansion of iPhone availability in China has yet been made.

Article Link: China Telecom Begins Unofficially Teasing iPhone 4S Launch

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
They got the picture of the iPhone right, but the text that says "iPhone 4S" is horribly disgusting. I figure that when they do actually start selling them, it'll be a little more Apple-sque.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
actually, advertising for Apple products in France, when made by retailers, is still often off-Apple standards, so I'm not shocked by these banners.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Is that a scam? :p ...

Yeah .. like some noticed, the "iPhone" font is just horribly wrong, I thought carriers like that allowed to use Apple's marketing material?
Oh, well it's unofficial anyway. But really, I dont know why but I see some of Chinese brands seem not using Latin fonts just right, they oftenly look conservative.

No doubt Chinese has a marvelous calligraphy, so I think their sense of beauty and art is great.

I mean Japanese can do a good Latin font, maybe it's time for some change? It's completely okay to stick with mother language, but many of their Latin fonts/translation always look like "Courier New" .. plain and somewhat uninteresting.

Just curious, no racism here.

Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
=iSayuSay;13913620.

I mean Japanese can do a good Latin font, why cant Chinese? Just curious, no racism here.

If you are, for example, American. Would that make you a part of the American race?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
If you are, for example, American. Would that make you a part of the American race?

I'm not sure I understand your meaning, but as I stated earlier I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Just for comparison sake, Korean and Japanese, despite having a "kanji" as a mother language like Chinese, but they can do marketing material in English just fine.

Samsung and LG, apart for being Apple's competitor, they can look good too in term of promotional material and appearance.

I hardly see originally Chinese brand looks the same, they even hardly sounds good and easy on ear .. hmm maybe Lenovo is decent (or maybe it's because of IBM?), but still not look as good as Japanese/Korean counterpart, they always looks (pardon me) cheaper in a way. I just don't get it.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I do not understand what is horrible about that font. It may be a different font from what Apple officially uses, I do not know, but why such elevated value judgements based on one picture?

May be this is a case of taking the 'Details matter' mantra a little too seriously?

But if intent of the criticism is that Apple font is part of its brand, then I agree. Apple should make sure that their carrier partners follow the standard branding mechanisms.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I'm not sure I understand your meaning, but as I stated earlier I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I rather suspect that he/she was simply pointing out that your use of language was as bad as the font. Or perhaps that you were lumping, in this case, more than a billion people together as one person in taste and skillset.

So:

avoid stereotyping large groups of unique individuals on the basis of national identity.

and if for some reason you are referring to entire groups say

"I don't know why but the Chinese it seems can't use Latin fonts just right"

I for sure wouldn't appreciate a sentence like "English all speak with a funny accent and eat stereotype sandwiches on the lawn at four."

The Engish, The Chinese, Americans, etc.

Oh, and clearly "I don't mean to offend anyone here."

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I rather suspect that he/she was simply pointing out that your use of language was as bad as the font. Or perhaps that you were lumping, in this case, more than a billion people together as one person in taste and skillset.

So:

avoid stereotyping large groups of unique individuals on the basis of national identity.

and if for some reason you are referring to entire groups say

"I don't know why but the Chinese it seems can't use Latin fonts just right"

I for sure wouldn't appreciate a sentence like "English all speak with a funny accent and eat stereotype sandwiches on the lawn at four."

The Engish, The Chinese, Americans, etc.

Oh, and clearly "I don't mean to offend anyone here."

Well .. okay ... if thats the case .. I edited my post for that .. thanks for warning though

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Just got off a local flight here in China and found this ad on the headrest.

IMG_0640.JPG

Last edited:

Barney9304

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
you have been able to get the iPhone 4s in China for a while now albeit a copy.

hell you go to the Apple store in Beijing and touts offer you the 4s on your way out!
the copies I cannot tell from my own one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.