Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 4 (3.5") top vs Galaxy S (4") bottom via Engadget
Macotakara claims that Hitatchi Displays and Sony Mobile Display Corporation have begun shipping 4-inch LCDs for a new iOS device:
According to Asian source, Hitachi Displays, Ltd. and Sony Mobile Display Corporation started to ship 4-inch LCD for new iOS device and LCD for iPad 3. These 2 companies will be merged their business with Toshiba Mobile Display Co., Ltd., as "Japan Display" in 2012 spring.
The report doesn't specify which iOS device that the screens would be used for, but the most natural choice would be the next generation iPhone. Apple has been said to be exploring the use of a 4" display for their upcoming iPhone. iLounge previously indicated that the 2012 iPhone would use a 4" display.

So far, Apple has only used a 3.5" display across its iPhone line, and there have been arguments that 3.5" may be the ideal size for one-handed use.

Article Link: Apple Suppliers Starting to Ship 4" Screens for Next iPhone?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The 4" display rumor isn't as interesting to me as this conflicting information about the next iPad display - which according to several other sources (as reported here), sounds like it's being developed/manufactured by Sharp.

Interesting too about the super merger/consortium of electronic companies display divisions!

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

dethmaShine said:
But I want a bigger iPhone. Period.

HTC Mozart 7 had lesser width than my present iPhone 4S. I don't want a phone like that. The present ratio (4:3?) is fine.

3:2

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I'm pretty happy with the current screen size and ultimately think that a 4" wouldn't be a make-or-break feature (4.5" might have me get a 4S instead of the new one though) but am interested in knowing what would be some solutions for the problems created by having different screen ratios between the new 4" and then the iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone 4S/4/3GS. I've read the rumours that it is a concern and they would have to come up with a solution but I have yet to read any possibilities for a solution.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I hope it's gonna stay the same. From a Dev point of view it'll be a potential nightmare making apps with 3 different resolutions and ratios. Pain in the ass doing stuff for retina as it is.

Also the whole point of the current screen size is to make the whole display accessible with one hand. If you want to see movies etc on a larger screen...buy a TV.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
I've seen the bigger-screened phones and they are too damn big. They are like carrying a 17" laptop around.

The iPhone's current size is pretty close to ideal. However, if Apple can put a bigger screen into the same package, then go for it.

Another thing about screens: other phones screens just plain suck. The display appears to be farther below the touch surface. I guess Apple's work to make the screen and touch surface thinner is worth it.

MonsterRain

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
I'd like to see them make the screen/homepage bigger with the 4S phone. Apps where the speaker/home button are would go on either side (so you'd have up to 24 apps on the home page. Then have the actual in-app screen be just below the camera/speaker, and just above the home-button. And of course, going edge to edge on the sides with the screen.

Won't ever happen, but it would be pretty awesome.

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
so keep the resolution the same and increase the screen to 4" and quietly drop the "retina" name until tech is good enough to double the resolution in several years

99.9% of iphone buyers WILL NOT CARE

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I guess I'm spoiled by being able to have an iphone and an iPad, but having a bigger screen on the phone for me would just take up more space in my pocket and be a bother more than anything.

A 4 inch screen will not make the device any larger than it is right now if done correctly. At MOST 1 millimeter larger, maybe even thinner. 3.5 > 4 inch is really not that big of a change and a much welcomed upgrade.

duffmanth

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
I think a 4" iPhone screen is inevitable. I actually held my buddies Google Nexus One with a 4" screen and feels perfect in your hand and in your pocket.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
I hope it's gonna stay the same. From a Dev point of view it'll be a potential nightmare making apps with 3 different resolutions and ratios. Pain in the ass doing stuff for retina as it is.

Also the whole point of the current screen size is to make the whole display accessible with one hand. If you want to see movies etc on a larger screen...buy a TV.

Why would Apple change the resolution? There's no need.

If they keep the same resolution and increase the screen size the PPI will be approximately 290, which won't be noticeably worse than what it is now; and devs, like you I assume, won't have to make a app that supports a different resolution.

Also, if you've developed web browsers, or similar apps, you would know that the part where the page appears would be adaptable - AKA, with a few lines a master code, by Apple, the webpage (for example Safari) won't just be bigger, it'll be the same size as it is on the 3.5, but with more stuff to display. Every other app, like games, will just be bigger on the 4 inch display if they keep the same resolution - which isn't bad.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I've got big manly hands....so i could handle a bigger screen. Heh heh heh. Actually...my 40 yr old eyes would like a bigger screen too. :)

Seriously, a 4-4.5" iphone screen sounds great to me. Knowing Apple, they will be able to pull it off without increasing the size of the device too much by bringing the screen right to the edge, while making it thinner too. So i don't think people who feel the current size iphone is perfect will be THAT upset.

Supposedly the iphone 5 was one of Steve Jobs last hands on projects, and i have total faith that the design will be a winner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.