Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Title

EDIT: on Verizon

EDIT 2: Finally figured out how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
even if you do jailbreak eventually the carrier will catch you and add the tethering plan on. That said, unless you have unlimited data tethering is next to pointless with 2GB data. For me anyways

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
even if you do jailbreak eventually the carrier will catch you and add the tethering plan on. That said, unless you have unlimited data tethering is next to pointless with 2GB data. For me anyways
I've been tethering on my Moto Droid on Verizon with unlimited data and haven't had any issues

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
That's because it's allowed.

With AT&T and the iPhone, it's against the terms of service.
It's against the Verizon ToS as well. It depends how much the OP has been tethering versus how much data he normally uses on the device itself.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's because it's allowed.

With AT&T and the iPhone, it's against the terms of service.

I wouldnt say its allowed but AT&T is really cracking down on iphone users.
Didnt hear them going after android or other phones tethering usage.
And havent heard much about verizon going after unauthorized tethering either so its mostly an AT&T iphone thing for now.
Not that other carriers wont do anything about it in the future.

How is it free with a jailbreak? MyWi is $20

Its a one time $20 fee and there's also other tethering packages that are cheaper like TetherMe that costs $5 or PdaNet that has a free and a paid version.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
If you are with AT&T and they quickly notice the data usage they will send you a warning message. If you continue they just add the tethering plan to your bill!

As they should!:)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Well, just like me being reluctant to explain to you how to rob a bank, I am also reluctant to explain to you in detail how to violate the terms of service of your carrier's provider.

Google is your friend for these kind of things. Good luck and I hope you can at least get one month in of free tethering before your carrier upgrades your plan for you. :cool:

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Google is your friend for these kind of things.
I've searched for the answer but I haven't found it. I've only found info about jailbreak-requiring apps like MyWi which a.) costs $20 and b.) won't work on the 4S since there's no jailbreak.
I thought the OP bought a Droid 4?
Two family members have the 4S and have inquired about wireless tethering which they used to have on their old phones, so I'm looking into it for them.

Last edited:

Ski21

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
This is why, I'm going to switch back to my palm pre, so I can tether. I'll have to wait for a jailbreak, so I can tether my iphone. I love the iphone, but need my phone to tether, can't wait.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
This is why, I'm going to switch back to my palm pre, so I can tether. I'll have to wait for a jailbreak, so I can tether my iphone. I love the iphone, but need my phone to tether, can't wait.

You can tether on your iPhone.

Just not for free without violating your terms of service.

Ski21

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
With my palm pre it's free, even though I'm sure it violates the TOS, been doing it for years. I'll just have to be patient for a untethered or tether jailbreak. I always have my comp with me, so I'd be satisfied with a tethered JB

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
With my palm pre it's free, even though I'm sure it violates the TOS, been doing it for years. I'll just have to be patient for a untethered or tether jailbreak. I always have my comp with me, so I'd be satisfied with a tethered JB

If I recall correctly tethering was a feature on the Pre that Verizon included with that specific model for some reason. Not so on their Android or iOS phones.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Say what?

You can tether without any issues without jailbreak.

I'm using it right now to reply via my macbook, using the internet off my 4S, created a wifi hotspot off the iPhone 4S, connected it via wifi on the macbook and you're up and running on the net. You can do this to any device that has wifi, bluetooth and usb. it's your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.