Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Im interested but Im not really £99 interested as I dont really need it. I just fancy it and the airplay mirroring looks cool.

Anyone able to suggest a good deal?

GeekGuys

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Am I allowed to say USA ? :D

Seriously, in the UK you will get £8 off from Apple direct or Amazon during this weekend. Other than that check out eBay. No other discounts really.

Steppy

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2011
Southampton, UK
I got mine from Amazon for £88.58 including delivery, but not impressed that it turnes out to be an import.

It had a UK power leade loose in the packaging. The actual unit is brand new and sealed, but not happy as it was for a present. After reading through various forums I have decided to keep it as the power supply is universal and the PAL/NTSC is controlled by the iTunes account which its registered to.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I got mine from Amazon for £88.58 including delivery, but not impressed that it turnes out to be an import.

It had a UK power leade loose in the packaging. The actual unit is brand new and sealed, but not happy as it was for a present. After reading through various forums I have decided to keep it as the power supply is universal and the PAL/NTSC is controlled by the iTunes account which its registered to.

That's the only way UK sellers can seriously undercut MSRP.

Last time I visited my parents in the UK I brought one over from the states. It was significantly cheaper even with US sales tax added. Once paired with the UK iTunes store, and an appropriate UK mains cable, grey import ATVs are all but indistinguishable from white market ones.

ncarnall

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
That's the only way UK sellers can seriously undercut MSRP.

Last time I visited my parents in the UK I brought one over from the states. It was significantly cheaper even with US sales tax added. Once paired with the UK iTunes store, and an appropriate UK mains cable, grey import ATVs are all but indistinguishable from white market ones.

Another case of "Rip off Britain"

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Another case of "Rip off Britain"

It's never quite that clear cut. When you add in 20% VAT, and the extra consumer protections we get here as standard - no 90 day warranties! - the gap closes. The Apple TV is an anomaly though - everything else is more dollars than pounds, for example the iPhone 4s 64Gb is £699 or $849. For a long time the Apple TV was £105 or $99! And, in addition to Airplay, they get Netflix and Hulu (whatever that is) and YouTube, we get... um... YouTube.

If you're still interested, Amazon has them for £91.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.