Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAmRod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Hey gang,

Been trying to place an order for a BTO MBP and have it shipped to my local store, but the new pickup option I thought went "global" appears to be unavailable at the moment. Anyone else running into this? Gotta say, for a company that seems to consistently earn high marks for customer service, not being able to ship my multi-thousand-dollar purchase to a local store is decidedly not very customer friendly!

Anyone know what gives?

refurbished

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
Really? So THAT's what I've been doing wrong all these years! Thank you, thank you, thank you for setting me straight!

Clearly you are very angry or extremely impatient. Maybe it wasn't such bad advice to just relax.

iAmRod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Clearly you are very angry or extremely impatient. Maybe it wasn't such bad advice to just relax.

Actually none of the above. Was just trying to see if the collective knowledge here at Mac Rumors forum might know a little something. But instead we are treated to snarky replies.

It's all good.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Some configurations are unavailable for store pickup. In particular, the configurations that are listed as "popular configurations" are not eligible for in store pickup. If you put together a configuration that is not "popular", then store pickup will work. It was like this when I ordered my MBP two weeks ago, and it still seems to be the case.

PS: Your initial post was unnecessarily aggressive, in particular if one takes into account that in store pickup is a very new feature. I'm not surprised by the replies you got.

codyc815

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
It's a legitimate concern, I've been having the same issue for 2 days. It's not custom products either, I tried several different items, including an iPod touch, iPad, and base model MacBook pro. All say pickup unavailable.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
Some configurations are unavailable for store pickup. In particular, the configurations that are listed as "popular configurations" are not eligible for in store pickup. If you put together a configuration that is not "popular", then store pickup will work. It was like this when I ordered my MBP two weeks ago, and it still seems to be the case.

It's a legitimate concern, I've been having the same issue for 2 days. It's not custom products either, I tried several different items, including an iPod touch, iPad, and base model MacBook pro. All say pickup unavailable.

All of those items you say you tried seem like "popular items" which thundersteele (see quote above) says makes them unavailable for the in-store pickup option.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I just tried some more exotic configurations, they still list store pickup as unavailable. So it seems it's a different issue now. Maybe the stores are overwhelmed with the black friday/cyber monday shopping mayhem.

Seems you have to wait.

codyc815

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
All of those items you say you tried seem like "popular items" which thundersteele (see quote above) says makes them unavailable for the in-store pickup option.

I've used the instore pick up for popular items before. I have a friend who works for apple and he lets me use his discount, but the discount can only be used online so they can keep track of it, before the instore pickup the items just had to be shipped. I've used this for mice, smart covers, and such since then with no problems until now.

RobertSantellan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
This is something I have been wondering too. It seemed to have gone offline on Black Friday. I figured it was temporarily unavailable during the holiday shopping weekend including Cyber Monday, so I checked it today. Still unavailable. So I contacted an Apple Rep via their Online Store chat and was informed that this feature is unavailable at this time and there is no set date for a return of it. Total bummer!!!

As for the comment about popular items, any base configuration of a device can be ordered via in-store pickup. The only things that can't be ordered with this option are refurbished items or custom configurations.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
As for the comment about popular items, any base configuration of a device can be ordered via in-store pickup. The only things that can't be ordered with this option are refurbished items or custom configurations.

Three weeks ago, I got my 15'' MBP with AG display and SSD through in store pickup. So custom configurations were available at some point.

At that time, (shortly after in store pickup became available throughout the country), I checked several other configurations of MBPs for in store pickup:

- basic models: available
- customized models: available
- pre-configured models: not available

What I call pre-configured is what apple refers to as "popular choices", i.e. for the 15'' it is the RAM upgrade and the AG screen right now. Those were items that are in stock at Apple distribution centers, but not in stores. For some reason, these items were not eligible for in store pick up at that time.

Anyways, now everything is down, I expect it is due to the holiday season, and maybe adoption of self-checkout in stores being slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.