Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emwgradstudent

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
Network Pressure

Reading deeper into this, I believe Apple pulled it under pressure from the networks, who would rather people pay the fees for tethering. I think Apple approved this app knowing full well they would be asked to pull it by the carriers.

When you look at this way, I applaud Apple for allowing people to get their hands on the app to begin with. A little rebellion from within Apple against the network's high prices? Maybe!

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
"If your app is rejected, we have a Review Board that you can appeal to. If you run to the press and trash us, it never helps."

From the App store guidelines.

where'd they trash apple? i didn't see any trashing.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
If anyone acts shocked or surprised over this they need to be flogged.

Move along people, just another company trying to get one over the major cellphone providers.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Why do carriers care? If I have say a 1GB per month plan, why does it matter if I use that 1GB over the month on my phone, or in one day (or week) on my computer? 1GB is 1GB, why does it matter how I use it, on which device, or how fast I use it? 1GB is 1GB, and its my 1GB to use.. after all the customer is paying for the 1GB, shouldn't they be able to use it how ever THEY wish?

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
What specifically about Tether's response is it that you find objectionable or unfair?
Specifically what I said. They're huffing and puffing about the deciscion of a company who controls an App Store to pull an app that they control from that store after financially supporting companies (carriers in this case) complained of it's capabilities.

Essentially, you go to a candy store to buy M&Ms. Obviously the candy store is selling these M&Ms and splits profit with Mars candy company in the sense that they bought the M&Ms at one price, and to you another.

You come to find out that the candy store owner decided that his truck drivers were complaining about the M&Ms they had to deliver to the store for whatever reason. The pressure from the drivers is enough, and the store no longer sells M&Ms.

Now tell me, does Mars candy company have any right to be mad at this candy store?

America - a place where dreams come true ... not if you want to tether your phone connection though.

Why do you people allow to be raped?

Seriously?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Total agree with the developer on this one.

Yep, Carriers suck.
I believe most people just need once in awhile access to data on their computers while at spots were no wi-fi is available. That is hardly a burden on carriers. Of course there are always few individuals that will be exception but the majority gets screwed by greedy bastards that run those carriers.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I would have bought the app had their website worked. Instead of blaming Apple, how about first having a suitable infrastructure.

I realize that there are only a few Blackberry users out there left, but their hosting really should have been better to handle iOS' crowd.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I think you've got it all wrong. Tether was up front with Apple about their app (at least they say they were), even answering specific questions about the app. Apple approved it for the app store, but then it gets pulled about a day later.

It seems obvious to me that the carriers didn't like that people were able to tether their computers to their iPhones without paying the carrier's extra fee. Apple caved to the complaints from the carriers!
Again, just because Tether did everything right here doesn't mean that Apple wasn't within their rights to change their minds or correct a mistake they made.

It's their store. Yes, they caved to the carriers. Also their right.

You're all so entitled, it's disturbing. If you don't like this crap, don't support the companies who act this way. You can prance around all you want loving Apple, but when you start trying to flip out about this kind of stuff, logic is going to come out and make you feel silly.

Enough of the "grr, I'm angry!" and start taking action. Buy into another ecosystem.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
Thats what I dont understand. You can stream Netflix and Pandora all day long but you cant tether. Makes no sense.

It makes sense like charging an extra monthly fee for texting makes sense. The carrier's see it as a way make for you to pay twice for the same service. It costs them essentially nothing to provide since you already essentially have it.

It's easy near 100% profit for them.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
It's all greed and ************

This tyranny over 3G needs to END. TODAY.

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
All to be expected, except Tether's reaction. Seems like a lot of huff and puff at a house they (Tether) have no right to try and blow down.

your comment is fail.

they didn't huff.
they didn't puff.
they didn't (as of yet) try to blow down Steve's house.

they took a risk and made an app.
they played by all the rules and cooperated with "the house".
it got pulled.
they're naturally disappointed.
they issued a very calm, measured response.

what would you have them do differently??? :rolleyes:

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2011
I guess the app can never be updated by the developer can it?

If no, then i guess the usefulness of this app could be NIL by the next iOS5 update?

Is the similiar NetShare app still working on iOS5?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
All to be expected, except Tether's reaction. Seems like a lot of huff and puff at a house they (Tether) have no right to try and blow down.

No right? LOL good god.

How deluded the tyrannical control of the carriers has made people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.