Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Checked data usage and I'm at 2.6gb. There's no way in hell that's the top 5%..
How do you know that? You have usage data for all at&t customers? If you do then dispute it with at&t. If not, then you can't say that it isn't in the top 5%.

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I think it's time the carriers come out with more Gb tiers. Example 2gb for $25 an then say 4gb for $30 and 6gb for say $40. If they included tethering I would give up my unlimited plan in a heartbeat. Until then I'll stick!

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
I have the grandfathered unlimited plan and I got the same text last night. I checked my usage and I was just over 2GB. It enfuriates me to no end that they're pulling this crap. Unlimited should be unlimited. This is the first time I've ever received this text.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I have the grandfathered unlimited plan and I got the same text last night. I checked my usage and I was just over 2GB. It enfuriates me to no end that they're pulling this crap. Unlimited should be unlimited. This is the first time I've ever received this text.

You are getting unlimited data but with slower speeds.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Does it say anywhere in the contract that they can throttle the data? If not I'd tell ATT to pound sand. I'm sure there is some BS about how ATT can modify the contract at any time to whatever they choose.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
As was mentioned before...At&t says that 95% of users are under 2gb/month. That means 2.6gb (no matter how far you are into your billing cycle) puts you in the other 5%. And yes, it does blow!

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
That means you are on track for just under 4GB for the month. Makes sense you got the notice.

Doesn't make sense to me. On track and currently are different.

I've used 2.5GB in the first 10 days of cycle before and 1GB the rest of month.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
6.6GB last month, no messages.

Yay grandfathered Unlimited Plan :D

6.8 GB for me, month after month since my usage pattern tends to be consistent. No warning from AT&T, no throttling, no problem. Just their friendly and ultra reliable services. :)

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
There was another thread a few days ago or so where the person got a notification and they used over 5GB.

I'm curious where you are in your billing cycle as well.

I believe that comment was referred to me. And to everyone that didn't have a chance to read my thread my usage was at 4.9GB when I received the text. Although I still haven't been throttled and my usage is now 5.3GB. I run a speedtest every day just to see and I'm still getting 4Mbps/1Mbps speeds.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I've been consistently using anywhere from 3.5GB-4.5GB per month since around April/May, and I've yet to get any such notification. I'm also grandfathered into AT&T unlimited data.

**knocks on wood**

Granted, I turn cellular data OFF and turn WiFi ON as soon as I get home. However, between a full time supervisory job with varying hours week-to-week, as well as a full load of classes each semester, in a rigorous effort to finish my degree, I'm barely ever home, except to sleep.

As far as AT&T goes, I've got nothing but praise for them at this point. They had to have done something to their coverage in my area because, up until about April of this year, I was never able to get more than 2 bars when 3G was on (I'd get 5 bars on EDGE though). I didn't really care because I have WiFi turned on anyway. But ever since then, I'd get 3-4 bars of 3G on my 3GS, and I now get 3-5 bars on my 4S.

AT&T also let me keep my plan intact, including my 1500 texts/month AND my FAN discount (22%), as well as unlimited data, when I upgraded to the 4S. And when I did my upgrade, I preordered on the morning of the first day, in my local mall's AT&T store, and they had my 4S (64GB) waiting for me on launch day. Activation also went smooth as could be.

Given all this, and the fact that I'm getting data speeds between 3-5 mbps (which is fine with me), I see no reason to leave AT&T anytime soon.

On a side note, how many 4S owners (w/ AT&T) on unlimited plans have noticed their bill states "unlimited 4G data"? I wonder if they'll let us keep our unlimited plans when LTE takes over?

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Current subscribers to AT&T ~107.7 million
95% of subscribers = ~102 million

I find it really hard to believe that 102 million people use less than 2GB per month.

Netflix: When we watched an episode of Netflix (Arrested Development) running 21:54, 55MB of bandwidth was used; so, let’s say 22min is 55MB, then Netflix consumes 2.5MB for every minute of streaming video watched. Therefore:

– A half hour TV show (~22min.) on Netflix would consume 55MB of data
— An hour-long TV show (~43min.) on Netflix would consume 110MB of data
— An hour-long movie on Netflix would consume 150MB of data
— An hour and a half movie on Netflix would consume 225MB of data
— A two-hour movie on Netflix would consume 300MB of data

** In total, you could watch 13.65 hours of programming on Netflix before using up all your bandwidth. This assumes you do nothing else on your iPad that month to eat up your bandwidth. (And remember: the average American watches over 150 hours of television per month alone.)
Source - http://www.clicker.com/blog/how-muc...lly-stream-with-atts-new-data-plans-1895.html

Thats only if you use netflix without email, music streaming, browsing, updating apps, etc.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
OP got the warning for tethering not usage, won't matter where in the month.

No I didnt get it for tethering.

Dear xxxx,

Like other wireless companies, AT&T is taking steps to manage exploding demand for mobile data. We're responding on many levels, including investing billions in our wireless network this year and working to acquire more network capacity.

As mentioned on a previous bill, we're also taking additional, more immediate steps to help address network congestion and improve reliability. One of these steps involves a change for some customers who use extraordinarily large amounts of data in a single billing period - about 12 times more data than the average smartphone user.

For the current billing cycle, your data usage indicates you could be affected by this change. Here's how it works:

Smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts them among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. These customers can still use unlimited data and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle.

We're writing because you are in the top 5 percent of heaviest data users for this billing cycle. Because we recognize that data usage can change from month to month, you will not see reduced speeds this billing cycle.

Beginning with your next billing cycle, we'll send you a text message if you are approaching the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. We'll also send you a second text message if you cross into the top 5 percent of heaviest users, at which point you may see reduced speeds for the rest of the month.

Customers have several ways to manage extremely high data usage.

Wi-Fi offers great speeds and doesn't add to your wireless data usage. Consider using Wi-Fi when possible for applications that use the highest amounts of data, such as streaming video apps, remote web camera apps, large data-file transfers (like video) and some online gaming.

You may also consider switching to a tiered data plan if speed is more important to you than having an unlimited data plan. Customers on tiered plans can pay for more data if they need it, and will not see reduced speeds.

To estimate how much data different activities use, and find out more about Wi-Fi or tiered data plans, visit https://www.att.com/dataplans or call Customer Care at 800-331-0500.

According to this, we use 12 times more data than the average customer which means the average customer uses only 216mb? Strange.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Just received my warning. Checked data usage and I'm at 2.6gb. There's no way in hell that's the top 5%..

I bet you are....

If they have 50 million data customers, the top 5% would include 2.5 million people.

----------

I think it's time the carriers come out with more Gb tiers. Example 2gb for $25 an then say 4gb for $30 and 6gb for say $40. If they included tethering I would give up my unlimited plan in a heartbeat. Until then I'll stick!

2 gigs is $25, 3 gigs is $35, 4 gigs is $45, 5 gigs is $55, 6 gigs is $65.. etc etc... They have unlimited tiers.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Does it say anywhere in the contract that they can throttle the data? If not I'd tell ATT to pound sand. I'm sure there is some BS about how ATT can modify the contract at any time to whatever they choose.

Not only can they modify the contract, but they can simply end it at any time if they chose to by terminating the ETF.

Of course, the easiest thing for AT&T to do would be to stop offering it as a renewal option when people's contracts expire. Within 2 years, nobody is on the unlimited plan anymore.

The really sad part, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is that they are only throttling smartphones that use (what they consider to be) excessive data while non-smartphones can use as much as they want under the unlimited plan they continue to offer them.

Granted, I understand that most non-smartphones won't be using a lot of data, but there's definitely something to be said when an iPhone user barely passes 2GB and gets a letter while I can use over 50GB (non-smartphone/ non-tethering) and they don't bat an eyelash.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I'm at 2.9 with 3 days to go and i got a warning. Funny thing is that when I had my iphone 4 and had tethering and my3g it was alot higher and I never got a warning. I think they are sending at warnings to anyone who reaches a certain threshold even if that does not put you in the top 5% of users. Although maybe with so many people losing there jailbreak to switch to the iphone 4s with no jailbreak tethering or my3g data usage has gone down quite a bit. Either way this sucks:mad:

hamlin

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have a 5 gig plan in Canada on the Rogers network. I have tried to go over and unless I watch netflix all day every day I can't go over. I can't download things over 20mb, it says I need to use wifi. I seriously tried to go over and got 1.7 gigs.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Not only can they modify the contract, but they can simply end it at any time if they chose to by terminating the ETF.

I'd be perfectly fine with that. A notice at 2.6GB is just insane.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
I dont even care about the throttling. AT&T's network is fast enough for my needs as is, and even if it were only 1mbps id still be satisfied. Its just that it seems like a bit of a lie that 2.6gb is an outrageous amount of data. My dad who has no idea about how to use anything on his iphone went through his 200mb of data last month.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
These number ATT is giving out is complete BS! No way OP should have received a notification. Didn't believe it when they switched to tiered and won't believe it now, 200MB is NOT avg usage on Andriod or iPhone. I need independent data.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I dont even care about the throttling. AT&T's network is fast enough for my needs as is, and even if it were only 1mbps id still be satisfied. Its just that it seems like a bit of a lie that 2.6gb is an outrageous amount of data. My dad who has no idea about how to use anything on his iphone went through his 200mb of data last month.

Your dad represents the vast majority of smartphone users. Those here (and on various other tech sites) only account for a small percentage and, even here, you'll find plenty of people who also use that little data each month due to WiFi.

Many non-technical people get smartphones because of good salespeople, not because they need them. If they use data at all, it's to check email and facebook updates, but little else... things that use minimal data.

It's not hard to believe AT&T's claims that most of their users use under 200MB and that 97% use under 2GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.