Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is continuing its rapid international rollout of the iPhone 4S this month, and while the company has not published any recent press releases detailing its upcoming launch schedule, carrier partners and retailers in several countries have begun announcing availability for December 16th. Notably, this round of launches will include two of the world's most populous countries: Brazil and Russia.

iphone_4s_philippines_dec16.jpg

In South America, Brazilian carrier Claro has posted a promotional page [Google translation] noting the December 16th launch date. MacMagazine.com.br noted last week that several shops had already begun selling both the iPhone 4S and 8 GB iPhone 4 at very high prices (nearly $2000 for a 16 GB iPhone 4S) ahead of the official launch, but official pricing from Apple's carrier partners for the iPhone 4S remains to be seen.

Several Russian retailers including Digital.ru [Google translation] have announced that they too will begin selling the iPhone 4S on December 16th, with pre-orders already underway.

Brazil and Russia are not the only countries set to see iPhone 4S launches on December 16th, as reports are also coming in from Taiwan, the Philippines, South Africa, and Malaysia citing that same date for their iPhone 4S debuts.

Update: The iPhone 4S will also be launching in Saudi Arabia on the 16th.

Update 2: We're also seeing mention of December 16th launches in Chile, Israel, Thailand, Turkey, and Vietnam, bringing this round of launches to a total of at least a dozen countries.

Article Link: December 16th iPhone 4S Launches to Include Russia and Brazil

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
In Brazil, iPhone 4S may cost a standard Macbook Pro 15" (using US retail price as reference). Really not worth it.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
in america you buy iPhones, in russia iPhones buy you!

anyway im glad iPhone is launching in my country (russia), even if im not going to buy it.

Fazer100

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
New Case

Im thinking of launching an iPhone case that keeps your hands warm for russia, think it would be a good seller :)

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
In Brazil, iPhone 4S may cost a standard Macbook Pro 15" (using US retail price as reference). Really not worth it.

An iPhone in most of South America is very expensive. In Ecuador, the iPhone is considered a luxury item and is taxed accordingly. The basic iPhone costs over $800.00 here.

In fact, all Apple products are considered luxury items. A base model iPad 2 is $800.00 also.

You don't want to know what a MacBook costs! lol!

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Finally, they added SMART network in the Philippines. It's been exclusive to GLOBE since iPhone 3G. :D

Smart is the largest cellular network here, btw.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Increased iPhone rollout can only be a good thing, both for people that want them and for Apple's selling of more iPhones.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
IF the Brazilian USD$2000 price is true, it includes a large import tax. Apple hopes to make iPhones in Brazil to offset/avoid this, but at least for the moment, it appears they are not assembling iPhones in Brazil. This is news.

I do believe they are assembling iPads there at the Foxconn plant they purchased from the set-top box maker. Anyone ever heard of a set top box before? Not for long . . . .

Rocketman

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...l_made_8gb_iphone_4_with_custom_model_number/

Tomas127 CL

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I'm pretty sure it will sell for 2000BRL here in Brazil, not 2000USD.

Probably, 2199BRL, that is, around 1200USD. Ok, I was wrong that it would pair the price of a low end MBPro 15". Actually 1200USD is almost the retail price of a higher end MBP 13".

procopio

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
Probably, 2199BRL, that is, around 1200USD. Ok, I was wrong that it would pair the price of a low end MBPro 15". Actually 1200USD is almost the retail price of a higher end MBP 13".

Don't even get me started on the price of cars here... :(
Electronics at least are easy to smuggle.

ricardobeat

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
I'm pretty sure it will sell for 2000BRL here in Brazil, not 2000USD.

Of course. Even then, you can buy a Macbook Air for R$2899, or an iPad for R$1649.

These prices are ridiculous, I paid R$1200 for an iPhone 4 almost an year ago, with a cheap plan (R$64 - ~U$35). Prices will very likely drop heavily next year, they are just setting up fools for Christmas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.