Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, who's watching this new drama on Showtime? It's on Sunday nights after Dexter and stars Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Mandy Patinkin and Morena Baccarin.

The series follows Carrie Mathison, a CIA operations officer who, after conducting an unauthorized operation in Iraq, is put on probation and reassigned to the CIA's counterterrorism center in Langley, Virginia. While she was conducting the operation in Iraq, Carrie was warned by an asset that an American prisoner of war had been turned by Al-Qaeda. Carrie's job is complicated when her boss, Director of the Counterterrorism Center David Estes, calls Carrie and her colleagues in for an emergency briefing. It is then that Carrie learns that Nicholas Brody, a U.S. Marine Sergeant who had been reported as missing in action since 2003, has been rescued during a Delta Force raid on a compound belonging to terrorist Abu Nazir. Carrie comes to believe that Brody was the American prisoner of war that her asset in Iraq was talking about. However, the federal government and her superiors at the CIA consider Nicholas Brody a war hero. Realizing it would be next to impossible to convince her boss, David Estes, to place Brody under surveillance, Carrie approaches the only other person she can trust, Saul Berenson. The two must now work together to investigate Brody and prevent another terrorist attack on American soil.

I'm really enjoying this show and hope they can keep it up for a least a few seasons.

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
I've watched it for about 3 or 4 episodes. The first episode I watched was the one before that terrorist killed himself. I like it, but I missed the most recent episode. It comes on tonight at 7. I might miss some of the preds game for it.

Last edited:

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Spoiler alert dude...jesus.

I've watched every episode since the beginning. My girlfriend and I can't believe how good it is. It's 24 without the crazy amount of storylines and over-the-top BS. It really is an extremely compelling show. They're already booked for Season 2.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I've watched 3 episodes so far and am loving it. Plan on watching an episode or 2 tonight after I watch Dexter.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Fantastic show, I've really enjoyed it so far. Great writing.

I've like Damian Lewis ever since Band of Brothers. And there's nothing wrong with seeing Morena Baccarin on a weekly basis. RAWR.:p

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Judging from the OP, that show is the typical all-American patriotic "US vs. evil guys" ********. :rolleyes:

That reminds me there's another new show on Cinemax called Strike Back. It follows a British Black Ops team as they try to stop terrorist plots around the world. You probably wouldn't like it though because it's the "typical all-British patriotic "UK vs. evil guys' ********" :rolleyes:

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
That reminds me there's another new show on Cinemax called Strike Back. It follows a British Black Ops team as they try to stop terrorist plots around the world. You probably wouldn't like it though because it's the "typical all-British patriotic "UK vs. evil guys' ********" :rolleyes:

(marc) would only get upset if it was "typical all-French patriotic "France vs. evil guys' ********" :p

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

A friend of mine recommended that show to me. I don't have Cinemax though (Time Warner gets enough $$$ from me), so I guess it'll have to wait.

I really don't see Homeland as a "rah rah USA is #1" type of show. They've been showing both the good and bad sides of US politics, war, and intelligence.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
But it's not. It's actually about a vegan warrior.:rolleyes:

That vegan thread has certainly left a lasting impression on you, considering that this is not the first time that you make references to it in completely unrelated threads. :rolleyes:

Correct.

I really don't see Homeland as a "rah rah USA is #1" type of show. They've been showing both the good and bad sides of US politics, war, and intelligence.

I must have missed the bad side when reading through the quote in the OP's post! (I have not seen the show, so if you say the quote isn't representative for the show, I might be wrong.)

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I must have missed the bad side when reading through the quote in the OP's post! (I have not seen the show, so if you say the quote isn't representative for the show, I might be wrong.)

I pulled the quote from Wikipedia because it was easy to cut and paste. It is reflective of the general plot line, but it is definitely not a complete depiction of every nuance of the story. You would have to watch it to see how they are dealing with the themes that you mention. I don't see it as an overly ignorant patriotic show espousing one side of the story. However, it doesn't shy away from the fact that there are people with different views on life that resort to violence to get those views across. And it clearly shows that this happens on both sides.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That vegan thread has certainly left a lasting impression on you, considering that this is not the first time that you make references to it in completely unrelated threads. :rolleyes:

Well I guess that certain things that certain people say sort of stick to them, don't they? That thread is the first thing I think of whenever I see your username. *shrug* It's not like I have a shrine to you or something.....:rolleyes:

The quote in the OP's post doesn't make it seem like a "rah rah USA is #1" type of show to me. It makes it seem like it's a show involving the the Iraq war, the CIA, and Islamic terrorism.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

I've watched every episode since the beginning. My girlfriend and I can't believe how good it is. It's 24 without the crazy amount of storylines and over-the-top BS. It really is an extremely compelling show. They're already booked for Season 2.
It is from the creators of 24, thats why it looks so familiar. Don't have Showtime but I want to catch this show.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This last episode was really good. My wife commented that she likes how the writers are making Carrie's character so multidimensional. They are doing the same with Saul and of course Brody.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My favorite voice clip came from the last episode. It was pure awesome!

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Homeland is THE new show for 2011 if you ask me. Great depth in the characters, great acting in general (man, I love Mandy Patinkin), and I love how there are no black-and-white situations. No one seems inherently good or bad, there are just infinite amounts of grey.

Also, the latest episode kicked ass. :)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Ah, so that's how they decided to stretch this show into a second season. Is there an emoticon for "meh"?;)

The show is great and all, and I'm glad that there's going to be another season, but I don't really like how they did it. It reminds me of Prison Break- that first season was awesome, but it was so popular that they had to keep it going, and they didn't do a great job with it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just watched the finale today and I think they did a great job of keeping the suspense up and setting the stage for next season. It's been a long time since a show kept me on edge throughout the whole episode and that's exactly what this last episode was like. I had no idea how the writers were going to get themselves "out of the corner they had painted themselves into," but they did it in a plausible way. I truly can't wait for next season.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

And I'm pretty sure no one will die 42 times and still come back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.